User accounts
Register new account
Forgot password
Forum stats
List of members
Search the forums

Advanced search
Recent discussions
- R-Comp reveals N.Ex.T Boxes - the successor to the i.MX6 (News:)
- RISCOSbits at Wakefield Show 2024 (News:)
- R-Comp releases Genealogy v2 (News:)
- Will we see 5.30 released at Wakefield show? (News:1)
- Sine Nomine updates RiscOSM and Impact (News:)
- Netfetch version 5.55 released (News:)
- Prizes for Wakefield Show announced (News:)
- Heretic update from R-Comp (News:)
- Wakefield Show 2024 is next Saturday (News:)
- Git client updated to 0.07 (News:2)
Latest postings RSS Feeds
RSS 2.0 | 1.0 | 0.9
Atom 0.3
Misc RDF | CDF

View on Mastodon
@www.iconbar.com@rss-parrot.net
Site Search

Article archives
The Icon Bar: The Playpen: Back and forward buttons are obsolete

Back and forward buttons are obsolete
  monkeyson2 (00:13 23/4/2004)
  Phlamethrower (00:27 23/4/2004)
    andypoole (00:54 23/4/2004)
      Phlamethrower (00:55 23/4/2004)
        [mentat] (08:57 23/4/2004)
          filecore (15:07 26/4/2004)
            ilcook (20:08 26/4/2004)
  mavhc (09:50 23/4/2004)
  midnightTrooper (10:12 23/4/2004)
    rich (10:31 23/4/2004)
      richcheng (11:01 23/4/2004)
    john (10:39 23/4/2004)

Phil Mellor Message #53709, posted by monkeyson2 at 00:13, 23/4/2004
monkeyson2Please don't let them make me be a monkey butler

I've just realised that I never use the back/forward buttons in a web browser, ever. I open nearly every link in a new window or tab. Occasionally I'll open a result from google in the same window if I know it's what I'm after and won't be going back to the search results.

So what's wrong with back/forward?

1. You can only look at one page at once.

2. You can only load one page at once - on dialup I like to read one page while loading another. Even on a fast connection you can surf more efficiently with multiple windows.

3. Once you go back and follow a different link you lose the pages you've visted. NetSurf's branching history would help here.

4. Back/forward are becoming less relevant for a lot of browser use now. These content management systems, online shopping things and so on don't fit with the browser history. Buy something, click back a few times, and it looks like it's back in your shopping basket. Go forward and you might end up buying it again - it depends on the site implementation obviously, but it's confusing and illogical. A postback to update the state of the page should be different to navigating to a new page.

Back and forward are dead! I've a good mind to produce a custom browser skin that excludes them... :)
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Jeffrey Lee Message #53711, posted by Phlamethrower at 00:27, 23/4/2004, in reply to message #53709
PhlamethrowerHot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot stuff

I tend to open stuff in new windows a lot, too. I use back quite a bit, but rarely touch forward.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Andrew Poole Message #53712, posted by andypoole at 00:54, 23/4/2004, in reply to message #53711
andypoole
Mouse enthusiast
Web
Twitter

I tend to open stuff in new windows a lot, too. I use back quite a bit, but rarely touch forward.
OK, so it seems that I'm the only person here (so far) that uses them :|

Andy. About to press back a few times to hop back out of the playpen again.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Jeffrey Lee Message #53713, posted by Phlamethrower at 00:55, 23/4/2004, in reply to message #53712
PhlamethrowerHot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot stuff

Andy. About to press back a few times to hop back out of the playpen again.
I just click on 'The Icon Bar forums', so that I can get a fresh page to see if there are any new posts :)
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

I don't have tourettes you're just a cun Message #53719, posted by [mentat] at 08:57, 23/4/2004, in reply to message #53713
[mentat]Fear is the mind-killer
Must admit, I use the back button (or backspace key in IE) quite a bit.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Mark Scholes Message #53720, posted by mavhc at 09:50, 23/4/2004, in reply to message #53709
> I've just realised that I never use the back/forward buttons in a web browser, ever. I open nearly every link in a new window or tab. Occasionally I'll open a result from google in the same window if I know it's what I'm after and won't be going back to the search results.

If I did that I'd have 100 browser windows open instead of 30

> So what's wrong with back/forward?

> 1. You can only look at one page at once.

You can only read one page at once anyway

> 2. You can only load one page at once - on dialup I like to read one page while loading another. Even on a fast connection you can surf more efficiently with multiple windows.

Unless you're using Windows where too many windows open will bring it to a screeching halt

> 3. Once you go back and follow a different link you lose the pages you've visted. NetSurf's branching history would help here.

Define lose. The branching history is quite cool, but it's too unwieldy to use ATM, too few pages are visible.

> 4. Back/forward are becoming less relevant for a lot of browser use now. These content management systems, online shopping things and so on don't fit with the browser history. Buy something, click back a few times, and it looks like it's back in your shopping basket. Go forward and you might end up buying it again - it depends on the site implementation obviously, but it's confusing and illogical. A postback to update the state of the page should be different to navigating to a new page.

Yeah, that's annoying.

If you go to the wrong page, back takes you back, if you've finished reading a page, back, if you need to look at an older page, back (history), if then you want to go to the previous page, forward (history)
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Lewis Westbury Message #53721, posted by midnightTrooper at 10:12, 23/4/2004, in reply to message #53709
2. You can only load one page at once - on dialup I like to read one page while loading another. Even on a fast connection you can surf more efficiently with multiple windows.
There's a few assumptions there:

1. opening a link as a new window is a one-click operation. we're light-years ahead on RISC OS with the 'right click opens a new window' convention

2. you can quickly despatch the window to the bottom of the stack so it will be read in order (again...)

3. (as blokey said) your system isn't crippled by having a handful of windows open (again...)

All in all, back and forward pretty much sit unused in RISC OS, but Windows is just too inefficient for that.

(I am in favour of Mozilla's tabs, but there should be an option to open a link in a new tab but stay looking at the page it came from)
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Richard Goodwin Message #53722, posted by rich at 10:31, 23/4/2004, in reply to message #53721
Rich
Dictator for life
(I am in favour of Mozilla's tabs, but there should be an option to open a link in a new tab but stay looking at the page it came from)
There is. It's called "Load links in background". Then when you middle-click to open a new page WITH ONE CLICK PEOPLE it'll just add it to the tab bar, but keep you on the same page. If you're looking at something with lots of links, such as The Register, you can open up a dozen interesting articles without losing your place on the main page, then go through each ready-loaded news article in turn, reading and discarding them.
________
RichGCheers,
Rich.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

John D Message #53723, posted by john at 10:39, 23/4/2004, in reply to message #53721
The reason I avoid back and forward on RO is because they don't work properly - with most browsers on RO it refetches the page and often you get an error if it was a form. The worst are "there was an error with your form, press the back button and try again". I know that makes the page broken, but it also exposes a browser problem.

Just closing a window is as fast as back should be, back and close-opened-in-new-window are just two ways of doing the same thing. Just use whatever the browser/OS does better.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

richard cheng Message #53724, posted by richcheng at 11:01, 23/4/2004, in reply to message #53722

There is. It's called "Load links in background". Then when you middle-click to open a new page WITH ONE CLICK PEOPLE it'll just add it to the tab bar, but keep you on the same page. If you're looking at something with lots of links, such as The Register, you can open up a dozen interesting articles without losing your place on the main page, then go through each ready-loaded news article in turn, reading and discarding them.
Opera also has "Open in background page" and "Open in background window" in it's right-click popup menu.

So you can open in a new window and dispatch it to the back in two clicks, just like in RISC OS (except probably a bit faster).

And for the record, I use Back a lot and Forward a bit. Never click on the buttons, though. Mouse gestures are the future, people!
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Jason Togneri Message #53795, posted by filecore at 15:07, 26/4/2004, in reply to message #53719

I muct admit, I use backspace a lot to delete things. That's annoying if IE hasn't registered properly where I place the cursor, and when I hit delete, end up going back a page. Particularly annoying on slow connections, or forum post pages where I've just lost my 10,000 word forum rant.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Ian Cook Message #53808, posted by ilcook at 20:08, 26/4/2004, in reply to message #53795
trainResident idiot
I muct admit, I use backspace a lot to delete things. That's annoying if IE hasn't registered properly where I place the cursor, and when I hit delete, end up going back a page. Particularly annoying on slow connections, or forum post pages where I've just lost my 10,000 word forum rant.

:) :devil:
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

The Icon Bar: The Playpen: Back and forward buttons are obsolete