User accounts
Register new account
Forgot password
Forum stats
List of members
Search the forums

Advanced search
Recent discussions
- R-Comp reveals N.Ex.T Boxes - the successor to the i.MX6 (News:)
- RISCOSbits at Wakefield Show 2024 (News:)
- R-Comp releases Genealogy v2 (News:)
- Will we see 5.30 released at Wakefield show? (News:1)
- Sine Nomine updates RiscOSM and Impact (News:)
- Netfetch version 5.55 released (News:)
- Prizes for Wakefield Show announced (News:)
- Heretic update from R-Comp (News:)
- Wakefield Show 2024 is next Saturday (News:)
- Git client updated to 0.07 (News:2)
Latest postings RSS Feeds
RSS 2.0 | 1.0 | 0.9
Atom 0.3
Misc RDF | CDF

View on Mastodon
@www.iconbar.com@rss-parrot.net
Site Search

Article archives
The Icon Bar: General: RISC OS Bounty Market

RISC OS Bounty Market
  Ginger1 (22:10 27/3/2007)
  Firthy2002 (00:47 28/3/2007)
    VincceH (08:57 28/3/2007)
      Ginger1 (22:32 28/3/2007)
    Stoppers (13:35 31/3/2007)
  flibble (21:24 31/3/2007)
    Stoppers (19:06 4/4/2007)
      tribbles (19:32 4/4/2007)
        krisa (20:03 4/4/2007)
          tribbles (23:29 4/4/2007)

Stephen Gadd Message #100864, posted by Ginger1 at 22:10, 27/3/2007
Hi there,

Following another minority platform, the Amiga and its various forked OSes, i've been very interested in the success and pace of AROS development. For those not familiar with AROS (Amiga Research Operating System) it's a project to transpose Amiga OS and its APIs to x86 hardware. Recently it seems to be moving in its own direction, creating its own new APIs but of course retaining that Amiga feel (as much as is possible on x86 hardware). But I digress. One of the things i've seen work very well with AROS is the role of the bounty market. Basically, there's one main website where various projects are listed (including for example an ARM port). I'm not sure how individual project ideas are started, I think people email the project coordinators which is then passed to a vote or similar. People can then paypal in donations to bounties still open, and other people can take up the challenge and if they complete the task to within the description of the bounty and a limited time period (depends on the scale of the project) they are awarded the cash. The successes this has brought the OS include native GCC and a TCP/IP stack. A recent assigned bounty is to port AROS to a PPC board called Efika (with a total value of $1701). Interesting stuff, great community involvement, lots of donations from different people but also companies. But could such a thing work on RISC OS?

http://thenostromo.com/teamaros2/
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Richard Firth Message #100872, posted by Firthy2002 at 00:47, 28/3/2007, in reply to message #100864
[gripe]AROS and MorphOS are attempts to fix something that is not broken.[/gripe]

Why move away from the ARM architecture?
________
I haven't a clue
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

VinceH Message #100877, posted by VincceH at 08:57, 28/3/2007, in reply to message #100872
VincceH
Lowering the tone since the dawn of time

He doesn't appear to be suggesting a move away from ARM.

What he's suggesting is a set-up whereby people can donate money to see specific software/ideas developed or implemented. If and when they are, the money donated for that specific item is handed over to the developer.

I'm not entirely convinced of the feasibility, though. For one thing, how long is the money held, and is there a timescale for refunds if the items for which it was donated doesn't appear?* And if so what happens if, because the money was there, someone was working on it - but finishes/releases it just after a refund is made. Poor soul did the work because there was £28.43 held in trust, and there no longer is. That's his Saturday night out down the pan.

I suppose I could follow the links given to find out more details; maybe I can be convinced.

* Remember, this is a market where people have been asked to put money up front for projects before. In some cases that's worked out, but people have long memories and won't forget the bad experiences. Perhaps a similar thing, but based on pledges - but my overpowering cynical side says that if people only pledge money, rather than pay up front, then when a project comes to fruition, only a fraction of people will hold true on their pledges.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Stephen Gadd Message #100923, posted by Ginger1 at 22:32, 28/3/2007, in reply to message #100877
I think the way it's working at present with the AROS bounty market is the money stays put until someone claims it, or it might be the case that there is an extended time limit (say, at least a year) before the monies are refunded. If someone decided to take on a project, they'd hopefully make that known and have the reward assigned to them before starting coding all weekend. Then on proof of the goods, the money is finally paid to them. This would also help reduce duplication of effort (i.e. projects are assigned to a specific person/group to work on).
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Simon Willcocks Message #100992, posted by Stoppers at 13:35, 31/3/2007, in reply to message #100872
[gripe]AROS and MorphOS are attempts to fix something that is not broken.[/gripe]

Why move away from the ARM architecture?
Because the alternative is ubiquitous, powerful and mind-numbingly cheap, I suppose. Also, if the result is architecture independent and properly implemented, it will still run on low power ARM machines.

That said, Vincce (Vince?) is right, he's not suggesting that any more than you are suggesting porting AROS to ARM.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Peter Howkins Message #101007, posted by flibble at 21:24, 31/3/2007, in reply to message #100864
flibble

Milk or dark chocolate?
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Simon Willcocks Message #101113, posted by Stoppers at 19:06, 4/4/2007, in reply to message #101007
Milk or dark chocolate?
Absorbent.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Jason Tribbeck Message #101114, posted by tribbles at 19:32, 4/4/2007, in reply to message #101113
tribbles
Captain Helix

I looked at the x86 approach a while ago. AROSOS was the project title (Another RISC OS Operating System). Heck of a lot of work involved...
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Kris Adcock Message #101115, posted by krisa at 20:03, 4/4/2007, in reply to message #101114
I looked at the x86 approach a while ago. AROSOS was the project title (Another RISC OS Operating System). Heck of a lot of work involved...
But the name sounds a lot like "Arse OS". I'd get involved just for that reason! smile The logo competition would be interesting.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Jason Tribbeck Message #101116, posted by tribbles at 23:29, 4/4/2007, in reply to message #101115
tribbles
Captain Helix

It's pronounced "Arrow saus" (sausage).
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

The Icon Bar: General: RISC OS Bounty Market