Register new account
Forgot password
Forum stats
List of members
Search the forums

Advanced search
Recent discussions
- R-Comp releases Genealogy v2 (News:)
- Will we see 5.30 released at Wakefield show? (News:1)
- Sine Nomine updates RiscOSM and Impact (News:)
- Netfetch version 5.55 released (News:)
- Prizes for Wakefield Show announced (News:)
- Heretic update from R-Comp (News:)
- Wakefield Show 2024 is next Saturday (News:)
- Git client updated to 0.07 (News:2)
- Archive Edition 27:1 reviewed (News:)
- Rougol April 2024 meeting on monday is Anniversary time (News:1)
Latest postings RSS Feeds
RSS 2.0 | 1.0 | 0.9
Atom 0.3
Misc RDF | CDF

View on Mastodon
@www.iconbar.com@rss-parrot.net
Site Search

Article archives
The Icon Bar: General: RISC OS...

RISC OS...
  This is a long thread. Click here to view the threaded list.

Gavin Smith Message #44065, posted by SparkY at 15:11, 4/7/2003
Danger! Danger! High Voltage!
is ours! All ours! Hurrah!!!!!!
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Andrew Duffell Message #44067, posted by ad at 16:38, 4/7/2003, in reply to message #44065

is ours! All ours! Hurrah!!!!!!
Actually, it is castles :P
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Kevin Wells Message #44068, posted by Revin Kevin at 19:20, 4/7/2003, in reply to message #44067
Should make the S.E Show interesting.
________
I did not do it.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Andrew Ellis Message #44086, posted by Andrew Ellis at 18:04, 5/7/2003, in reply to message #44068
Will ROS5 run a SA RPC??

If yes maybe castle should buy select and make it run under ROS 5.

If no maybe the should make select run on ROS 5 anyway. ROS 5 must feel a bit basic to someone who's used to select.
________
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Mark Scholes Message #44087, posted by mavhc at 18:36, 5/7/2003, in reply to message #44086
Will ROS5 run a SA RPC??

If yes maybe castle should buy select and make it run under ROS 5.

If no maybe the should make select run on ROS 5 anyway. ROS 5 must feel a bit basic to someone who's used to select.
Why would you want to buy an OS that doesn't run 26bit programs and isn't any better than ROS4 really?

Castle and ROL working together seems more likely now than before. But it's a lot of work to combine the 2 OSes, so don't expect anything overnight.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

JMB Message #44088, posted by jmb at 20:03, 5/7/2003, in reply to message #44087
Why would you want to buy an OS that doesn't run 26bit programs
for a very simple reason: 26bit capable ARM chips are no longer being made (please, noone mention 7500FE) ;)
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Mark Scholes Message #44089, posted by mavhc at 21:21, 5/7/2003, in reply to message #44088
Why would you want to buy an OS that doesn't run 26bit programs
for a very simple reason: 26bit capable ARM chips are no longer being made (please, noone mention 7500FE) ;)
Obviously we were talking about in a RiscPC
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Andrew Ellis Message #44090, posted by Andrew Ellis at 21:47, 5/7/2003, in reply to message #44087

Why would you want to buy an OS that doesn't run 26bit programs and isn't any better than ROS4 really?
Well I can't afford an Iyonix or an Omega at the moment (I bought an iBook last year with OS X. Shame on me!). I would like to be able to keep as up to date as possible with ROS. One day I will buy an Omega or Iyonix, when I can afford it. But I don't think I'll ever part with me RPC, I just couldn't do it! Does anyone else feel the same, or is it just me being too sentimental!?
________
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Mark Scholes Message #44091, posted by mavhc at 22:46, 5/7/2003, in reply to message #44090

Well I can't afford an Iyonix or an Omega at the moment (I bought an iBook last year with OS X. Shame on me!). I would like to be able to keep as up to date as possible with ROS. One day I will buy an Omega or Iyonix, when I can afford it. But I don't think I'll ever part with me RPC, I just couldn't do it! Does anyone else feel the same, or is it just me being too sentimental!?
So buy Select, and when you get an Iyonix/Omega you can run Select on that too (hopefully (more likely for iyonix if you do subscribe now and mention the Iyonix thing))

The HAL interface has already been ported to the RiscPC, I don't see what you'd gain from running ROS5 on a RPC.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Andrew Message #44112, posted by andrew at 11:52, 7/7/2003, in reply to message #44091
HandbagHandbag Boi
Hopefully there'll be a full report on this in the next Acorn User.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Message #44160, posted by blahsnr at 20:27, 8/7/2003, in reply to message #44086
ROS 5 must feel a bit basic to someone who's used to select.
Ooo noooo! RO5 is fast and 'clean' (in the sense of have you recently tried to find out where a particular config file is in a Select boot sequence?) after Select just what the doctor ordered. Nice Iyonix icons especially the return of the blue folders!

I do understand that there is a lot of useful work done to restructure RISC OS in the Select version, and am not trying to negate the good work already done but after 2 years of subscriptions there is precious little that I from a user's perspective need. The only thing I would like under RO5 is resizable desktop fonts, and even that is not essential.

After all for me Select appeared to be the the only possible path to a 32bit RISC OS, but it has turned out somewhat differently hasn't it :o)
Cheers
Stan
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Andrew Message #44162, posted by andrew at 21:41, 8/7/2003, in reply to message #44160
HandbagHandbag Boi
Yes for all the perks, RO Select is quite messy.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Gavin Smith Message #44163, posted by SparkY at 22:08, 8/7/2003, in reply to message #44162
I'm glad someone else has said it, I thought it was just me. I'm of the opinion that RISC OS 4 (and therefore, probably 5 too) is very clean, simple, neat and nippy. Don't get me wrong, I have used Select and I'm amazed at the work those very talented guys put into it, but I do hope they integrate the features slowly, carefully and very neatly. I don't want RISC OS to become another bloated messy OS.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Simon Wilson Message #44164, posted by ksattic at 22:12, 8/7/2003, in reply to message #44160
ksattic
Finally, an avatar!

The only thing I would like under RO5 is resizable desktop fonts, and even that is not essential.
I thought it was already possible without Select by setting some variable. Er... sorry I can't be of more help!
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Chris Williams Message #44166, posted by diodesign at 22:53, 8/7/2003, in reply to message #44163
diodesign
The Opposition

Whoa, whoa, whoa. Hold on. What's given you the impression that Select is messy, untidy and bloated?

Here's some examples - Select is faster than OS 4, much faster. The internet stack is, in places, 25% faster. Taskwindows don't eat up 60%+ of CPU time when idle anymore. Every OS component strictly follows the Style Guide to ensure UI consistency across the desktop.

Everything is configurable, if you don't like something or think it may slow down the desktop, you turn it off. I don't know where this idea of Select being messy and bloated comes into it :(

Chris. Speaking personally.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Mark Scholes Message #44167, posted by mavhc at 23:08, 8/7/2003, in reply to message #44166
Whoa, whoa, whoa. Hold on. What's given you the impression that Select is messy, untidy and bloated?
Probably referring to the !Boot structure, all those new hardware and user profiles make tracing what's going on more difficult, much like the ROSHook and System.310 etc directories did. If you're not going to use the features to have multiple hardware/users/os versions using the boot sequence they just get in the way. Happened to me the first time I installed it, turned out the CD ROM drive was dodgy and not all the files were copied over.

Now we have >77 files/dir we could get rid of System.310,350,360 and 370.

Wimp$FontSize and Wimp$FontWidth appear to control the desktop font size.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Chris Williams Message #44171, posted by diodesign at 23:25, 8/7/2003, in reply to message #44167
diodesign
The Opposition

Oh for the love of God. Everything's tucked away in !Boot so you don't have to worry about it. It's all finely tuned and structured in there, if you start pissing about in there then expect stuff to break. There's defined interfaces in !Configure to allow the control of what goes on during boot up. And you know what? If something does happen to go wrong, I can do *syslog boot show (or use the !Configure syslog plugin) to see what happened and what was executed at boot time.

Chris.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

David Marston Message #44172, posted by illudium at 23:28, 8/7/2003, in reply to message #44167
Probably referring to the !Boot structure, all those new hardware and user profiles make tracing what's going on more difficult, much like the ROSHook and System.310 etc directories did. If you're not going to use the features to have multiple hardware/users/os versions using the boot sequence they just get in the way. Happened to me the first time I installed it, turned out the CD ROM drive was dodgy and not all the files were copied over.
Those new features are there for a reason though. They do add more complexity to the boot sequence, but since nobody should really be changing anything in there by hand anyway it shouldn't matter. The only places I can think I've added things would be Resources (in the same place), PreDesk (easy to find) and Library (which is better organised in Select)

I don't think I've ever felt the need to try tracing the boot sequence anyway, but the boot logging in Select should make that less necessary.

Now we have >77 files/dir we could get rid of System.310,350,360 and 370.
I don't really see how the two things are related to be honest.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Gavin Smith Message #44173, posted by SparkY at 23:54, 8/7/2003, in reply to message #44166
you turn it off. I don't know where this idea of Select being messy and bloated comes into it :(
I don't think Select is particularly bloated yet, I was referring to the integration of RISC OS 5 and Select. By messy, I was indeed referring to the Boot structure but also certain windows, especially in !Configure in the versions of Select that I have used, where the Style Guide (and common sense) seemed to be forgotten about, in the attempt to cram lots of options and features in. This may have been cleaned up a bit in the latest version, I haven't played with it, so can't comment. Perhaps this *is* the nature of Select though, as a fast evolving OS - however, I just want the features to be added to RISC OS 5 carefully and slowly, so that it retains a polished feel.

Hope I explained myself better this time - I didn't mean any offence to the Select developers :)
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

fwibbler Message #44175, posted by fwibbler at 08:59, 9/7/2003, in reply to message #44173
fwibbler

If you haven't tried the latest version of Select, then you really shouldn't comment on it.
I was not impressed with the first version and uninstalled it, went back to RO4.
I didn't install the second version as I didn't see the point, so I can't comment on that.

The latest 3rd version however had features I really wanted and screamed out to me to install it.
You really should try it.

Whenever I go use my sisters machine or my fathers, I find the lack of Select features quite annoying after only a short time.

I sort of agree with the comments about !Boot.Choices. I can't see the attraction in this multiple user thingy. Nobody else uses my machine, /Nobody/!
It's a small price to pay though.

Cheers!

[Edited by thedoctor at 08:59, 9/7/2003]
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

John D Message #44177, posted by john at 09:34, 9/7/2003, in reply to message #44175
I did write an alternative !Boot a while ago, before Select, and it was much nicer, but once select came out I didn't have time to keep it up to date any more. Some of the features have appeared in Select, but the overall simplicity of it hasn't. If there was interest in helping, I could have put it in sourceforge or something. I also started a replacement Obey module, with configurable error handling etc.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Andrew Message #44180, posted by andrew at 12:05, 9/7/2003, in reply to message #44166
HandbagHandbag Boi

Here's some examples - Select is faster than OS 4, much faster. The internet stack is, in places, 25% faster. Taskwindows don't eat up 60%+ of CPU time when idle anymore. Every OS component strictly follows the Style Guide to ensure UI consistency across the desktop.

Everything is configurable, if you don't like something or think it may slow down the desktop, you turn it off. I don't know where this idea of Select being messy and bloated comes into it :(

Chris. Speaking personally.
I was thinking of all the banners, much more being dependent on the hard disc which yes is probably necessary (costs etc) .
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

John Hoare Message #44189, posted by moss at 16:45, 9/7/2003, in reply to message #44180

For what it's worth, I'd find multiple users extremely useful. It's not ROL's fault that RISC OS users don't have friends :P
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Garry Taylor Message #44190, posted by thegman at 17:02, 9/7/2003, in reply to message #44189
Jeez John, that really hurts! ;-)
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

John Hoare Message #44191, posted by moss at 17:24, 9/7/2003, in reply to message #44190

To be fair, I'd mainly find multiple users useful to make my imaginary friends seem that bit more real.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Simon Wilson Message #44194, posted by ksattic at 17:37, 9/7/2003, in reply to message #44180
ksattic
Finally, an avatar!

Everything is configurable, if you don't like something or think it may slow down the desktop, you turn it off. I don't know where this idea of Select being messy and bloated comes into it
I was thinking of all the banners, much more being dependent on the hard disc which yes is probably necessary (costs etc) .
Is there a way to switch off or change the Select logo upon boot - the one that says "Select" on the right when "StrongARM" and the memory size is on the left? I never liked the original Select logo and it would be nice to change it.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Tim Firmager Message #44647, posted by Timothy609 at 09:22, 20/7/2003, in reply to message #44089
Obviously we were talking about in a RiscPC
Oh - i thought we were talking about a Microsoft PC!!! lol
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Tim Firmager Message #44648, posted by Timothy609 at 09:24, 20/7/2003, in reply to message #44647
Erm - does this mean i will be shunned away from the RISC OS scene because i said such a satanistic comment?????
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

I don't have tourettes you're just a cun Message #44836, posted by [mentat] at 13:53, 24/7/2003, in reply to message #44648
[mentat]Fear is the mind-killer
Erm - does this mean i will be shunned away from the RISC OS scene because i said such a satanistic comment?????
Yes. ;) <--Sarcasm as indicated by winkey.

But I don't think I'll ever part with me RPC, I just
couldn't do it! Does anyone else feel the same, or is it just me being too
sentimental!?
No, I think there's something special about :rpc:s :)
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

John Hoare Message #44850, posted by moss at 21:16, 24/7/2003, in reply to message #44836

No, I think there's something special about :rpc:s :)
There is about most. They're beautiful machines; the best Acorn ever made (commercially). But I've treated mine so badly it's a complete wreck :(
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Pages (2): 1 > >|

The Icon Bar: General: RISC OS...