User accounts
Register new account
Forgot password
Forum stats
List of members
Search the forums

Advanced search
Recent discussions
- R-Comp reveals N.Ex.T Boxes - the successor to the i.MX6 (News:)
- RISCOSbits at Wakefield Show 2024 (News:)
- R-Comp releases Genealogy v2 (News:)
- Will we see 5.30 released at Wakefield show? (News:1)
- Sine Nomine updates RiscOSM and Impact (News:)
- Netfetch version 5.55 released (News:)
- Prizes for Wakefield Show announced (News:)
- Heretic update from R-Comp (News:)
- Wakefield Show 2024 is next Saturday (News:)
- Git client updated to 0.07 (News:2)
Latest postings RSS Feeds
RSS 2.0 | 1.0 | 0.9
Atom 0.3
Misc RDF | CDF

View on Mastodon
@www.iconbar.com@rss-parrot.net
Site Search

Article archives
The Icon Bar: General: Drobe's comment moderation system

Drobe's comment moderation system
  This is a long thread. Click here to view the threaded list.

Simon Wilson Message #45298, posted by ksattic at 18:20, 7/8/2003
ksattic
Finally, an avatar!

I like it. The "first post" messages and trolls were getting annoying. It's just a bit disappointing when a message you thought was relevant gets modded down (to use /. terminology).

When does a message get moderated? Is this when a moderator gives it a "bad" rating or when users give it a sufficient number of bads?

Do the moderated messages count towards the comment limit?
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

John Hoare Message #45299, posted by moss at 19:31, 7/8/2003, in reply to message #45298

I don't find it that useful, to be honest. I kinda take idiots and off-topic posts as standard on these kind of things; and I want to read all the posts (and I do). However uninformative :)

Edit: But if it pleases some people, I'm all for it :E

[Edited by moss at 19:32, 7/8/2003]
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Simon Wilson Message #45300, posted by ksattic at 19:39, 7/8/2003, in reply to message #45299
ksattic
Finally, an avatar!

I don't find it that useful, to be honest. I kinda take idiots and off-topic posts as standard on these kind of things; and I want to read all the posts (and I do). However uninformative :)
I have to admit that I get some kind of pleasure from seeing "first post" people get their posts modded down, which means I do read all posts. Of course, there are always some posts that get modded down which I think are interesting.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

John Hoare Message #45301, posted by moss at 19:42, 7/8/2003, in reply to message #45300

Of course, there are always some posts that get modded down which I think are interesting.
Yes; off topic ones. Which are often more interesting than the ones about the actual news article...

I just hope it doesn't cause any arguments somewhere down the road. Not from me, but there are some more volatile people out there who might object if their post gets modded. To which Drobe can rightly say "get stuffed", of course :)
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Chris Williams Message #45307, posted by diodesign at 21:10, 7/8/2003, in reply to message #45301
diodesign
The Opposition

Bit weird seeing this discussion turn up on TIB, but anyway..

I just hope it doesn't cause any arguments somewhere down the road. Not from me, but there are some more volatile people out there who might object if their post gets modded. To which Drobe can rightly say "get stuffed", of course :)
Or arguments get modded off the article page. I don't mind people commenting but the first posts and poor attempts at jokes/insults are off putting and hopefully will be kept separate from the main article pages.

If you want to see all comments by default, you can use the no-frills layout (see your profile page).

Chris.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Simon Wilson Message #45310, posted by ksattic at 21:34, 7/8/2003, in reply to message #45307
ksattic
Finally, an avatar!

Or arguments get modded off the article page. I don't mind people commenting but the first posts and poor attempts at jokes/insults are off putting and hopefully will be kept separate from the main article pages.

If you want to see all comments by default, you can use the no-frills layout (see your profile page).
Cheers for the suggestion - I think I'll leave my settings as they are because I can see the "decent" thread of conversation without unnecessary crap. Then I can view all the comments and have a laugh when my serious moment has passed. ;)
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Chris Williams Message #45311, posted by diodesign at 23:11, 7/8/2003, in reply to message #45310
diodesign
The Opposition

Cheers for the suggestion - I think I'll leave my settings as they are because I can see the "decent" thread of conversation without unnecessary crap. Then I can view all the comments and have a laugh when my serious moment has passed. ;)
Ok ;) We're still fine tuning the system so expect things to get tweaked or re-arranged.. we expected some people to abuse, sorry, stress test the system for us which only helps us make the system better.

Chris.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Mark Scholes Message #45313, posted by mavhc at 23:38, 7/8/2003, in reply to message #45301
Of course, there are always some posts that get modded down which I think are interesting.
Yes; off topic ones. Which are often more interesting than the ones about the actual news article...
There's no defining rule as to what's off topic anyway, most posts are, strictly.

Half the problem is seeing replies to posts you don't see, and no indication of such, the other half is there's no way to say pointless, off topic, troll, etc, just Bad. (What's the difference between Troll and trying to stimulate debate anyway?)

It seems a waste of time just to get rid of a few first posts, a "Suggest this post for deletion" link would be better.

Plus there's no moderation in the forums so once 30 comments are reached new rules apply.

Comment and forum differences, reminds me of another website....
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Chris Williams Message #45319, posted by diodesign at 23:58, 7/8/2003, in reply to message #45313
diodesign
The Opposition

There's no defining rule as to what's off topic anyway, most posts are, strictly.
Oh come on, it's not rocket science. If in doubt, don't moderate. If you don't know how to rate a particular comment then you don't need to rate it.

(What's the difference between Troll and trying to stimulate debate anyway?)
There's a big difference between asking a good question and just plain stirring. Again, the point is not to moderate /everything/. If someone asks a good question, it may get noticed and moderated up. If it's a question designed to wind up someone, it'll get ignored.

It seems a waste of time just to get rid of a few first posts, a "Suggest this post for deletion" link would be better.
No. "First post!"'s are one example of comments that don't belong with the article. All kinds of stuff turns up half way through the comments block.

Plus there's no moderation in the forums so once 30 comments are reached new rules apply.
A non-issue. Once the comments spill into the forums, usually an obvious thread of conversation has been created and there's little trolling or abusive posts. That's why we did the comments spill over - when you get to about 30 comments, a focused discussion is usually taking place so it's best to move the debate away from the editorial content and to an area designed for user generated content.

Comment and forum differences, reminds me of another website....
A non-issue. Article comments are more attached to the article as when someone reads an article, they get the comments too. Forums are shifted away from the editorial content and the rules become more relaxed.

When someone "first post"'s or tries to be rude, they taint the article page. Stuff like that belongs in the more relaxed forum and no where near editorial content. Also, good comments and interesting points should be highlighted in order positively stimulate a user generated discussion which then appropiately spills into the forums.

The moderation system's been in planning for over a month now, we like to have clearly defined content areas and we like everyone to enjoy adding their own content.

Chris.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Mark Scholes Message #45332, posted by mavhc at 11:58, 8/8/2003, in reply to message #45319
using [quot] is annoying me, I'll do it properly

> > There's no defining rule as to what's off topic anyway, most posts are, strictly.> Oh come on, it's not rocket science. If in doubt, don't moderate. If you don't know how to rate a particular comment then you don't need to rate it.

Is a discussion on Flash, other browsers on or off topic on an oregano article?

> > (What's the difference between Troll and trying to stimulate debate anyway?)> There's a big difference between asking a good question and just plain stirring. Again, the point is not to moderate /everything/. If someone asks a good question, it may get noticed and moderated up. If it's a question designed to wind up someone, it'll get ignored.

> > It seems a waste of time just to get rid of a few first posts, a "Suggest this post for deletion" link would be better.

> No. "First post!"'s are one example of comments that don't belong with the article. All kinds of stuff turns up half way through the comments block.

A few first posts and some random crap then.

> > Plus there's no moderation in the forums so once 30 comments are reached new rules apply.

> A non-issue. Once the comments spill into the forums, usually an obvious thread of conversation has been created and there's little trolling or abusive posts. That's why we did the comments spill over - when you get to about 30 comments, a focused discussion is usually taking place so it's best to move the debate away from the editorial content and to an area designed for user generated content.

So what's the point of moderating 30 posts? Not as though it takes long to skip the 5 crap ones.

> > Comment and forum differences, reminds me of another website....

> A non-issue. Article comments are more attached to the article as when someone reads an article, they get the comments too. Forums are shifted away from the editorial content and the rules become more relaxed.

It just looks like Click here for comments 30-60, oh and learn a new interface.

> When someone "first post"'s or tries to be rude, they taint the article page. Stuff like that belongs in the more relaxed forum and no where near editorial content. Also, good comments and interesting points should be highlighted in order positively stimulate a user generated discussion which then appropiately spills into the forums.

Not due to people deciding it should be in the forum, just once postcount > 30

Maybe if you just had everything in the forum, and mod up'd posts got put as article comments, or have 2 threads for every article: actual article comments, and discussion of the article in the forum.

On a related note: I tend to read iconbar forums more because a) they show me where unread posting are, and b) the link is much more obvious.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Chris Williams Message #45341, posted by diodesign at 12:51, 8/8/2003, in reply to message #45332
diodesign
The Opposition

So what's the point of moderating 30 posts? Not as though it takes long to skip the 5 crap ones.
If you can't grasp or agree with the concept of a moderation system then that's ok. Don't worry about it. Select to use the no-frills layout and forget all about.

Chris.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Mark Scholes Message #45342, posted by mavhc at 12:56, 8/8/2003, in reply to message #45341
If you can't grasp or agree with the concept of a moderation system then that's ok. Don't worry about it. Select to use the no-frills layout and forget all about.

Chris.
If you can't explain or argue for the concept of a moderation system then that's ok. Don't worry about it. Select to ignore questions about it and don't forget to attempt to insult your readers.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

I don't have tourettes you're just a cun Message #45345, posted by [mentat] at 13:28, 8/8/2003, in reply to message #45307
[mentat]Fear is the mind-killer
It shouldn't be that weird - you know everything/anything gets discussified on here :E

Don't worry about it. Select to ignore questions about it and don't forget to attempt to
insult your readers.
:handbag::o:handbag:

Treat 'em mean, keep 'em keen ;)
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Andrew Message #45346, posted by andrew at 13:31, 8/8/2003, in reply to message #45345
HandbagHandbag Boi
Treat 'em mean, keep 'em keen ;)
:laugh:

[Edited by [mentat] at 01:05, 11/8/2003. Overquote ;) removal :P]
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Chris Williams Message #45347, posted by diodesign at 14:37, 8/8/2003, in reply to message #45342
diodesign
The Opposition

If you can't explain or argue for the concept of a moderation system then that's ok. Don't worry about it.
Oh for the love of God... I've posted here (see above explanation) and in the drobe forums about how it works and why we did it. I've answered your questions, what more do you want? Oh, a public argument, how very you.

Select to ignore questions about it and don't forget to attempt to insult your readers.
No, just insulting you. I'm more than confident that every drobe reader has an IQ that belittles yours. Everyone else appears to get on with the new system, I guess you're playing The Special Child again.

Chris. Just me and my opinions.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

John D Message #45357, posted by john at 15:59, 8/8/2003, in reply to message #45307
I don't know about anyone else, but I prefer the iconbar forums. Apart from the fact that I prefer to have one place to go for all my discussuion needs (or as few as possible), I have trouble with the way drobe comments automatically go onto the last page, and there's a first, <n>* and latest link, which seem to sometimes do the same thing, and sometimes duplicate each other.

Mind you I don't like iconbar's forums when they go onto another page, but that's another topic :)

Edit: NB the above is intended as constructive criticism, the tone of voice might sound wrong if you read it wrong :)

[Edited by john at 16:01, 8/8/2003]
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Mark Scholes Message #45358, posted by mavhc at 17:46, 8/8/2003, in reply to message #45347
> > If you can't explain or argue for the concept of a moderation system then that's ok. Don't worry about it.

> Oh for the love of God... I've posted here (see above explanation) and in the drobe forums about how it works and why we did it.
I've not read the specifics of how it works, probably because that changes on a daily basis.

As for why, you seem to think that discussion of articles shouldn't be under the article as if that gives them some kind of legigimacy, whereas everyone knows anyone can post on the internet.

> I've answered your questions,

what's the point of moderating 30 posts? Who is this moderation supposed to help?

> what more do you want? Oh, a public argument, how very you.

What other kind of argument would be useful?

> > Select to ignore questions about it and don't forget to attempt to insult your readers.

> No, just insulting you. I'm more than confident that every drobe reader has an IQ that belittles yours.

Seems unlikely, statistically. How many readers do you have? Good use of the word of the day though.

> Everyone else appears to get on with the new system, I guess you're playing The Special Child again.

Aww, can't come up with decent counter arguments so just result in calling me names?

> Chris. Just me and my opinions.

mavhc, just me and my better opinions.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Mark Scholes Message #45360, posted by mavhc at 17:54, 8/8/2003, in reply to message #45357
I don't know about anyone else, but I prefer the iconbar forums. Apart from the fact that I prefer to have one place to go for all my discussuion needs (or as few as possible), I have trouble with the way drobe comments automatically go onto the last page, and there's a first, <n>* and latest link, which seem to sometimes do the same thing, and sometimes duplicate each other.

Mind you I don't like iconbar's forums when they go onto another page, but that's another topic :)

Edit: NB the above is intended as constructive criticism, the tone of voice might sound wrong if you read it wrong :)

[Edited by john at 16:01, 8/8/2003]
What someone should invent is a system where each comment is a seperate entity with references to the previous posts, then write some software for each platform to allow them to download the new comments from a server and reconstruct the entire thread, you could choose channels to subscribe to for different subjects and you could keep track of which comments you've read and only have to download each one once, plus you could have a way of killing the files of certain threads or posters.

It would probably be a good idea to distribute this over lots of servers, I'll get my employees at mavhcnews to look into it. BTW the time machine should be finished next week.

PS Fixed line lengths rule, it means I never need to code word wrapping.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Chris Williams Message #45368, posted by diodesign at 19:27, 8/8/2003, in reply to message #45358
diodesign
The Opposition

I'm in a good mood, I like good news. So..

I've not read the specifics of how it works, probably because that changes on a daily basis.
Sigh, so you criticise without reading the background. The system in place now is how it'll stay for now but fine tuning like balancing the threshold levels is on going.

You can view how people have been moderating by looking in their profiles. This makes the whole system more transparent. I want people to pick out the cool comments and knock off the obviously pointless ones.

As for why, you seem to think that discussion of articles shouldn't be under the article as if that gives them some kind of legigimacy, whereas everyone knows anyone can post on the internet.
I don't follow, sorry. Article comments are conveniently under the article content so people can add their views having read the article and reflected upon it. Reading what your readerbase thinks is a good way of writing what your readership is interested in. Moderation of comments only enhances that.

You're being too general. Talking about how to get Flash for Oregano and how Oregano would benefit from Flash is on topic.

what's the point of moderating 30 posts? Who is this moderation supposed to help?
Moderation helps get rid of comments that taint the article editorial content and add nothing to the discussion. It also helps raise good, informative comments into the spotlight.

Moderation helps people who want quality content and dicussion on drobe.co.uk. If you want to avoid the moderation system then that's fine, as I said, the no-frills layout bypasses it. However, when we get time, we'll add options in the profile settings page so that users can set what threshold they want to read at.

Aww, can't come up with decent counter arguments so just result in calling me names?
Whatever gets your attention. You seem to like arguing and I can defend our website and editorial decisions over and over again but life is too short. I've stated my counter argument and reasons repeatedly. What more do you want?

mavhc, just me and my better opinions.
Bearing that kind of attitude isn't going to encourage sensible debate, sorry. You need to reassess your mentality or find someone else to interrogate.

Chris. Just me and my opinions.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

John Hoare Message #45369, posted by moss at 19:52, 8/8/2003, in reply to message #45368

However, when we get time, we'll add options in the profile settings page so that users can set what threshold they want to read at.
This sounds excellent. Not that I actually mind how it is now (if you want to view all comments, it's not that hard, after all), but it would be very useful to be able to configure it.

[Edited by moss at 19:52, 8/8/2003]
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Mark Scholes Message #45385, posted by mavhc at 23:18, 8/8/2003, in reply to message #45368
> I'm in a good mood, I like good news. So..

There's good news? Excellent.

> > I've not read the specifics of how it works, probably because that changes on a daily basis.

> Sigh, so you criticise without reading the background. The system in place now is how it'll stay for now but fine tuning like balancing the threshold levels is on going.

Because there's no place to read it because it's not available.

> You can view how people have been moderating by looking in their profiles. This makes the whole system more transparent. I want people to pick out the cool comments and knock off the obviously pointless ones.

Yes, much better. Was this in the original plan from months ago?

> > As for why, you seem to think that discussion of articles shouldn't be under the article as if that gives them some kind of legitimacy, whereas everyone knows anyone can post on the internet.

> I don't follow, sorry. Article comments are conveniently under the article content so people can add their views having read the article and reflected upon it. Reading what your readerbase thinks is a good way of writing what your readership is interested in. Moderation of comments only enhances that.

See your line "comments that taint the article editorial content"

> > Is a discussion on Flash, other browsers on or off topic on an oregano article?

> You're being too general. Talking about how to get Flash for Oregano and how Oregano would benefit from Flash is on topic.

In reference to the Flash comments in the Oregano article obviously.

> > what's the point of moderating 30 posts? Who is this moderation supposed to help?

> Moderation helps get rid of comments that taint the article editorial content and add nothing to the discussion.

Except it hides non non useful comments too, and hides comments that are parents of shown comments, so you have to show all comments to read the thread.

> It also helps raise good, informative comments into the spotlight.

Not ATM.

> Moderation helps people who want quality content and dicussion on drobe.co.uk.

But only in the first 30 comments.

> If you want to avoid the moderation system then that's fine, as I said, the no-frills layout bypasses it.

And bypasses other useful stuff.

> However, when we get time, we'll add options in the profile settings page so that users can set what threshold they want to read at.

Yay.

> > Aww, can't come up with decent counter arguments so just result in calling me names?

> Whatever gets your attention.

I find a reply to a comment I make or something with my name in works suitably well

> You seem to like arguing

Yeah, it's fun.

> and I can defend our website and editorial decisions over and over again

Good.

> but life is too short.

How do you know?

> I've stated my counter argument and reasons repeatedly. What more do you want?

Actual counter arguments and logical reasons.

> > mavhc, just me and my better opinions.

> Bearing that kind of attitude isn't going to encourage sensible debate, sorry. You need to reassess your mentality or find someone else to interrogate.

Worked for me so far.

> Chris. Just me and my opinions.

mavhc, just me and my arrogant opinions.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Chris Williams Message #45406, posted by diodesign at 17:07, 9/8/2003, in reply to message #45385
diodesign
The Opposition

Because there's no place to read it because it's not available.
Sure. Whatever you say.

Yes, much better. Was this in the original plan from months ago?
Ask g0, I suspect so.

See your line "comments that taint the article editorial content"
What about it?

In reference to the Flash comments in the Oregano article obviously.
Flash and how to get it working with Oregano 2 is clearly on-topic (as is the concern of lack of up-to-date Flash with oregano 2).

Except it hides non non useful comments too, and hides comments that are parents of shown comments, so you have to show all comments to read the thread.
Then view all comments or when there's time and we've added the functionality, select the appropiate threshold.

This may be a very difficult concept to grasp Mark, but not everyone thinks the same as you. Not everyone wants to read all the comments. Some people are put off by some comments. Some people enjoy the freedom to post their opinions and read others.

We're trying to cater for everyone which in itself is an impossibility so we're trying to be as flexible as possible.

Not ATM
In your opinion.

Moderation helps people who want quality content and dicussion on drobe.co.uk.
But only in the first 30 comments.
Yes, the comments under the article. The forums are more relaxed and separated from the front page articles.

If you want to avoid the moderation system then that's fine, as I said, the no-frills layout bypasses it.
And bypasses other useful stuff.
Like what exactly?

You seem to like arguing
Yeah, it's fun.
At least it makes compiling FAQs an easier job.

but life is too short
How do you know?
That is off topic.

I've stated my counter argument and reasons repeatedly. What more do you want?
Actual counter arguments and logical reasons.
Good point. When are we going to hear these from you? I've explained why many times. You're asking questions purely because you're not getting your own way or you're bored and want to be entertained.

Chris. Just me.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Chris Williams Message #45411, posted by diodesign at 23:36, 9/8/2003, in reply to message #45369
diodesign
The Opposition

This sounds excellent. Not that I actually mind how it is now (if you want to view all comments, it's not that hard, after all), but it would be very useful to be able to configure it.
Right, you can now from your profile page select to view all comments, non-moderated comments or no comments at all.

Chris.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Mark Scholes Message #45428, posted by mavhc at 14:01, 10/8/2003, in reply to message #45406
> > Because there's no place to read it because it's not available.

> Sure. Whatever you say.

There's no details on at what point the comment vanishes, or a way to see the current score.

> > See your line "comments that taint the article editorial content"

> What about it?

It's the whole problem, you seem to think that off topic/stupid comments reflect badly on the article and/or are somehow validated by being on the same page. If that's the case why not just put everything in the forum?

> > In reference to the Flash comments in the Oregano article obviously.

> Flash and how to get it working with Oregano 2 is clearly on-topic (as is the concern of lack of up-to-date Flash with oregano 2).

So information about the flash spec to get it working is off topic? Or whether flash is good/bad, the alternatives?

> > Except it hides non non useful comments too, and hides comments that are parents of shown comments, so you have to show all comments to read the thread.

> Then view all comments or when there's time and we've added the functionality, select the appropiate threshold.

I do now. What's the default?

> This may be a very difficult concept to grasp Mark, but not everyone thinks the same as you.

That much is obvious, dunno why though.

> Not everyone wants to read all the comments. Some people are put off by some comments. Some people enjoy the freedom to post their opinions and read others.

> We're trying to cater for everyone which in itself is an impossibility so we're trying to be as flexible as possible.

> > Not ATM

> In your opinion.

ATM almost every comment is marked as Good. 17/20 on omega. 21/31 on omega.

Maybe the different ratings could be different colours like the really bad ones are now, make it easy to find the good ones.

> > > If you want to avoid the moderation system then that's fine, as I said, the no-frills layout bypasses it.

> > And bypasses other useful stuff.
> Like what exactly?

Colour hints mainly. Now there's colour in the comments section it's much better, although the name/form section of each comment is very large in IE6.

> At least it makes compiling FAQs an easier job.

See, it's useful.

> > > but life is too short

> > How do you know?

> That is off topic.

That's not for us to decide apparently.

> > > I've stated my counter argument and reasons repeatedly. What more do you want?

> > Actual counter arguments and logical reasons.

> Good point. When are we going to hear these from you?

Tuesday.

> I've explained why many times.

Partially yes, and each time it gets better.

> You're asking questions purely because you're not getting your own way or you're bored and want to be entertained.

All 3. Once we're finished everything will be perfect and we'll agree on everything.

BTW each comment form is 0.5kB long, so that's an extra 15kB to download everytime you reload a 30 comment page. Which is about half the size of the total page. Moderation doubles everyone's bandwidth.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Chris Williams Message #45429, posted by diodesign at 14:57, 10/8/2003, in reply to message #45428
diodesign
The Opposition

There's no details on at what point the comment vanishes, or a way to see the current score.
The comment 'vanishes' when enough people vote for it as a Bad comment. And you shouldn't need to see the comment's score as it might influence your voting.

It's the whole problem, you seem to think that off topic/stupid comments reflect badly on the article and/or are somehow validated by being on the same page. If that's the case why not just put everything in the forum?
Off topic and stupid comments do degrade the editorial content. It puts people off reading drobe.co.uk and it annoys us. People understand that comments in forums are more detached from articles and understand the rules are more relaxed.

Think of the first 30 comments as priviledged comments that are closely related to the article they appear under. After a while, the conversation progresses into the forums. As the readerbase increases and more and more people comment, we'll up the 30 number or perhaps base it on the position of the article on the front page.

So information about the flash spec to get it working is off topic? Or whether flash is good/bad, the alternatives?
Yes, the technical specifics of Flash are mildly off topic, the article is about Oregano. Flash can be fully dicussed in the forums. But, that's my personal opinion - if people think Flash is irrelevant, they'll vote with their feet. If people think Flash is an important point, they'll mod the Flash comments up.

We seem to have differing views of 'off topic'. Talking about Flash on an Oregano article is only mildly off topic. A comment that says a cat pissed on an uncle is what I call 'off topic' and the kind of comments I'll mod down.

I do now. What's the default?
Default view is tabled, complex layout showing only comments that haven't been modded off the page. You'll need an account to change this, which isn't a hassle.

ATM almost every comment is marked as Good. 17/20 on omega. 21/31 on omega.
Good, I love it when people comment and it's good to see people asking questions and finding answers.

Admittly, the plan was for people to vote only on comments that really mattered, but people enjoy voting on every comment so fair enough.

Don't feel disappointed if a comment gets modded off or not given a good rating; I certainly wouldn't take it personally.

Maybe the different ratings could be different colours like the really bad ones are now, make it easy to find the good ones.
Ok, when we get time, I'll see if it looks ok for really good comments to have a green highlight.

Colour hints mainly. Now there's colour in the comments section it's much better, although the name/form section of each comment is very large in IE6.
g0tai is the php wizard and I migrate any changes over to the no-frills layout when the default layout leaves the update cycle. Last night I added colouring and moderation voting to the no-frills layout.

That is off topic.
That's not for us to decide apparently.
This thread of discussion isn't peer moderated, so imo, I'll stress that entering a philosophical debate about our personal cognition of our existance in relation to the general perception of time is off topic. And that means I'll just avoid any questions on the subject ;)

Once we're finished everything will be perfect and we'll agree on everything.
But I've argued with you waaay too much on IRC in the past to know that if we ever approach a common agreement on a subject, you'll find some element to disagree with in order to keep the discussion in a perpetual state.

BTW each comment form is 0.5kB long, so that's an extra 15kB to download everytime you reload a 30 comment page. Which is about half the size of the total page. Moderation doubles everyone's bandwidth.
That means it takes about 5 seconds or less for 56k dialup users to download the page HTML and less than a second for broadband users.

I've used, edited and updated drobe.co.uk on a 56k line, a 600K bb line and a 1024K bb line this summer and it's acceptable imo. Dialup users may wish to use the no-frils layout, but that's half the reason why it's there.

Chris. Just me.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

I don't have tourettes you're just a cun Message #45451, posted by [mentat] at 01:08, 11/8/2003, in reply to message #45360
[mentat]Fear is the mind-killer
What someone should invent is a system where each comment is a seperate entity with references to the previous posts, then write some software for each platform to allow them to download the new comments from a server and reconstruct the entire thread, you could choose channels to subscribe to for different subjects and you could keep track of which comments you've read and only have to download each one once, plus you could have a way of killing the files of certain threads or posters.
Hilarious. :P

Actually, this entire thread is hilarious. :E
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Tim Firmager Message #45466, posted by Timothy609 at 08:39, 11/8/2003, in reply to message #45310
I already do this. It's the best way to enjoy drobe!!! :)
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Ian Hawkins (g0tai) Message #45493, posted by g0tai at 16:49, 11/8/2003, in reply to message #45358
Thats quite impressive as it only took 3/4 of a day to work out how it was all going to work in the first place. and then (from announcing it to the rest of the world) less than a 1/2 a day to put it all together.

Regards,

Ian, who implemented it all.

[Edited by Matthew at 21:00, 11/8/2003. Sorted out quoting]
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Ian Hawkins (g0tai) Message #45494, posted by g0tai at 16:53, 11/8/2003, in reply to message #45369

If you edit your user profile now, you can now select how you would like your comments viewed (show all, show moderated, or show none).

Ian
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Ian Hawkins (g0tai) Message #45495, posted by g0tai at 16:56, 11/8/2003, in reply to message #45385
...and hides comments that are parents of shown comments, so you have to show all comments to read the thread.my arrogant opinions.
Yes, If someone posts a troll comment (bad language, first post, yadda yadda) and someone else replies to it then they're both going to get moderated down.

If someone posts something stupid and someone else replies to that stupid question with something useful then there may be discontinuity in the comments. I may look at adding a small 'next comment was moderated down, click to see it' kind of link soon.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Pages (2): 1 > >|

The Icon Bar: General: Drobe's comment moderation system