User accounts
Register new account
Forgot password
Forum stats
List of members
Search the forums

Advanced search
Recent discussions
- Upgrading your RISC OS system to 5.30 (News:2)
- WROCC May 2024 meeting on wednesday - Gerph talks games (News:)
- Wakefield Show 2024 in Pictures (News:4)
- RISC OS 5.30 arrives (News:1)
- April 2024 News Summary (News:1)
- uniprint upgraded to 4.50 (News:)
- PhotoDesk 3.23 released (News:)
- R-Comp reveals N.Ex.T Boxes - the successor to the i.MX6 (News:)
- RISCOSbits at Wakefield Show 2024 (News:)
- R-Comp releases Genealogy v2 (News:)
Latest postings RSS Feeds
RSS 2.0 | 1.0 | 0.9
Atom 0.3
Misc RDF | CDF

View on Mastodon
@www.iconbar.com@rss-parrot.net
Site Search

Article archives
The Icon Bar: Programming: I hate bugs in stuff that I haven't written

I hate bugs in stuff that I haven't written
  This is a long thread. Click here to view the threaded list.

Phlamethrower Message #4976, posted at 14:58, 15/6/2002, in reply to message #4975
Unregistered user OK, maybe that wasn't quite tomorrow. But since no-one seems to be interested in this thread anymore, it doesn't really matter wink

http://www.coderscauldron.com/pub/misc/ft.zip

The code given should reproduce the bug, which at the moment seems to be triggered by:

1. Not writing to the start of an (empty?) file when it has just been created
2. Going back and writing to the start, without overlapping the data just written (???)
3. Performing a write just after a read

Have fun.

^[ Log in to reply ]

Phlamethrower Message #4974, posted at 14:58, 15/6/2002, in reply to message #4973
Unregistered user The GCC people think I should contact ROL, so I'll be doing a bit more work on writing a simpler program to show the bug. Has anyone tried compiling it with Acorn C yet? Would give some extra ammunition to convince ROL that it's their problem wink
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

moss Message #4972, posted at 14:58, 15/6/2002, in reply to message #4971
Unregistered user Oh damn, I forgot about this. Sorry flamethrower.

Do you still want me to check anything? I'll definitely do it tonight, if you need me to - but I'm going home for Easter for two weeks Risc PCless tomorrow...

^[ Log in to reply ]

monkeyson Message #4971, posted at 14:58, 15/6/2002, in reply to message #4970
Unregistered user Well then, it's screwed. monkey

But it also fixes the same problem which affects g++ 3.0 on linux 2.14.16 (red hat 7.1). That probably doesn't help, other than knowing it's a g++ problem, not a RISC OSy one. But why does UnixLib fix it?

[Edited by monkeyson at 18:22, 20/3/2002]

^[ Log in to reply ]

Phlamethrower Message #4946, posted at 14:58, 15/6/2002
Unregistered user .... or I think I've found a bug in the shared C library, concerning file handling

Can people have a shot at downloading and running (And recompiling on their computer, using different settings) this file:

http://www.coderscauldron.com/pub/misc/fa.zip

In it you should find the following:

DoTest - an obey file to set up and run the test
fileanal - The code to perform the test
source - The C source to fileanal
filedebug - A file containing 'commands' for fileanal to perform

After running DoTest, you should also have the following:
testfile - The test file produced from the commands in filedebug
Log - A file containing a list of discrepencies between testfile and a memory-produced equivalent

A little explanation...

While working on something (*cough* http://www.coderscauldron.com *cough*), I seem to have found a bug in the shared C library's file handling - data being written to an updateable file (opened with 'rb+') was not being written, and trying to read the data returned -1's.

After fiddling round for a while, I got the program containing the bug to write a log file of all the operations it performs ('filedebug'). By compiling the analysis program ('fileanal') using different settings, it should be possible to work out what it is thats causing the problem.

The included copy of fileanal has been compiled against the shared C library (5.17, 3rd Oct 2000) using GCC (2.95.4). Compiling it against unixlib fixes the problems (In both the original program & fileanal), so I'm guessing its either a problem in GCC or the shared C library.

That's where you come in - can anyone with different versions of the shared C library, or different compilers, have a shot at running/compiling the program themselves.

Thanks smile

^[ Log in to reply ]

Mark Quint Message #4948, posted by ToiletDuck at 14:58, 15/6/2002, in reply to message #4947
Ooh ducky!Quack Quack
unhappy
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Phlamethrower Message #4949, posted at 14:58, 15/6/2002, in reply to message #4948
Unregistered user Is that a 'I don't understand you' unhappy or a 'The bug is on my computer too' unhappy?
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

davidb Message #4964, posted at 14:58, 15/6/2002, in reply to message #4963
Unregistered user
The changes you list don't have any effect on RISC OS GCC 2.95.4 & CLib module 5.17. UnixLib doesn't have a problem with any of the settings I've tried.

I suppose that you'll have to try asking on comp.sys.acorn.programmer or the RISC OS GCC mailing list. unhappy

^[ Log in to reply ]

I don't have tourettes you're just a cun Message #4951, posted by [mentat] at 14:58, 15/6/2002, in reply to message #4949
[mentat]Fear is the mind-killer
Is that a 'I don't understand you' unhappy or a 'The bug is on my computer too' unhappy?

I think it was a "Don't shout at me, I like it in the playpen" Frown

Back to the playpen... tongue

^[ Log in to reply ]

moss Message #4952, posted at 14:58, 15/6/2002, in reply to message #4946
Unregistered user I'll have a look for you Monday evening if you want, and post the results Tuesday. smile
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

andypoole Message #4953, posted at 14:58, 15/6/2002, in reply to message #4951
Unregistered user

Is that a 'I don't understand you' unhappy or a 'The bug is on my computer too' unhappy?

Yay! the playpen cool

[Edited by andypoole at 17:51, 10/3/2002]

^[ Log in to reply ]

Phlamethrower Message #4954, posted at 14:58, 15/6/2002, in reply to message #4953
Unregistered user

Yay! the playpen cool

Honestly, some people might think you lot were looking for jobs at ROL wink

I'll have a look for you Monday evening if you want, and post the results Tuesday.

Thanks Moss - at least then I'll know whether it's just me who's going crazy

^[ Log in to reply ]

Mark Quint Message #4955, posted by ToiletDuck at 14:58, 15/6/2002, in reply to message #4954
Ooh ducky!Quack Quack
Honestly, some people might think you lot were looking for jobs at ROL wink
shock
/me awaits the next RiscOS Show, where PM announces the annual execution list

*runs*

duckflamethrower

^[ Log in to reply ]

Pages (2): |< < 2

The Icon Bar: Programming: I hate bugs in stuff that I haven't written