User accounts
Register new account
Forgot password
Forum stats
List of members
Search the forums

Advanced search
Recent discussions
- Upgrading your RISC OS system to 5.30 (News:2)
- WROCC May 2024 meeting on wednesday - Gerph talks games (News:)
- Wakefield Show 2024 in Pictures (News:4)
- RISC OS 5.30 arrives (News:1)
- April 2024 News Summary (News:1)
- uniprint upgraded to 4.50 (News:)
- PhotoDesk 3.23 released (News:)
- R-Comp reveals N.Ex.T Boxes - the successor to the i.MX6 (News:)
- RISCOSbits at Wakefield Show 2024 (News:)
- R-Comp releases Genealogy v2 (News:)
Latest postings RSS Feeds
RSS 2.0 | 1.0 | 0.9
Atom 0.3
Misc RDF | CDF

View on Mastodon
@www.iconbar.com@rss-parrot.net
Site Search

Article archives
The Icon Bar: The Playpen: Over the summer 4: I Worship His Summer

Over the summer 4: I Worship His Summer
  This is a long thread. Click here to view the threaded list.

Jeffrey Lee Message #66411, posted by Phlamethrower at 19:57, 3/6/2005, in reply to message #66408
PhlamethrowerHot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot stuff

• Finish that Asylum level I started ages ago
These :)
You know what the deal is :)

Good point :|

Problem is, I'm busy working on the OD redesign at the moment. Maybe after that...
Well, judging by the votes so far, I'll be spending a lot of time getting Dark Matter into shape, so you don't have to be too worried about a lack of levels.acornarcade.com slowing me down :)
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Jeffrey Lee Message #69300, posted by Phlamethrower at 01:49, 17/9/2005, in reply to message #66180

Recently (i.e. within the last 48 hours) i've been thinking about combining this with this to produce a 3D version. Although obviously I still need to add lots of different room types/decorations and monsters before it becomes an interesting enough game to be classed as complete.

And naturally I've also been thinking about something else 3D, but it's better if I don't think about that :P

I haven't done anything major on Dark Matter yet, but I have recently fleshed out the game design a bit (i.e. cut out some of the overambitious stuff that would take too long to do or result in a crap game). Over the next day or two I'll be trying to tidy up GAIO, Super Bakeout, and that racing game so that I can stick half finished versions up on my website instead of them all being hidden in various playpen threads. And assuming that moss gets this done on time, I'll be spending some time to finish that Asylum level, possibly as well as a Quake level or two.

And there's actually 1 old BASIC game that I reckon I could convert to C in under a day and get released... and the game was actually nearly finished too :o And it was actually good :o (ish :P)

Hmm....

*goes to hunt for the code*
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Andrew Message #69301, posted by andrew at 13:15, 17/9/2005, in reply to message #69300
HandbagHandbag Boi
I haven't done anything major on Dark Matter yet,
:(
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Jeffrey Lee Message #69303, posted by Phlamethrower at 17:54, 17/9/2005, in reply to message #69300

And there's actually 1 old BASIC game that I reckon I could convert to C in under a day and get released... and the game was actually nearly finished too :o And it was actually good :o (ish :P)

Hmm....

*goes to hunt for the code*
This game is harder than I remember :o

Although it does now run quite a bit faster. And a bug has appeared in the hit detection code :(
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Jeffrey Lee Message #69305, posted by Phlamethrower at 18:07, 17/9/2005, in reply to message #69303

Fixed it! :)

But now I inexplicably have shots going sideways and shots firing shots :|
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Jeffrey Lee Message #69306, posted by Phlamethrower at 18:15, 17/9/2005, in reply to message #69305

*fixes*

Perhaps translating 7 year old BASIC code with cryptic 2/3/4 letter variable names into C at 3am isn't a good idea :)
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Jeffrey Lee Message #69311, posted by Phlamethrower at 20:09, 17/9/2005, in reply to message #69306

Behold! :)

*goes back to procrastinating for a few more months*
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Richard Goodwin Message #69320, posted by rich at 23:11, 17/9/2005, in reply to message #69311
Rich
Dictator for life
Behold! :)

*goes back to procrastinating for a few more months*
I don't have access to a RISC OS machine until I drag my old bones out of bed in the morning/afternoon/early evening (delete as applicable). You're a night owl, how about some screenshots on that page of yours?
________
RichGCheers,
Rich.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Jeffrey Lee Message #69324, posted by Phlamethrower at 23:32, 17/9/2005, in reply to message #69320

It's not that exciting to look at, but I guess I can stick a screenshot up.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Jeffrey Lee Message #69325, posted by Phlamethrower at 23:48, 17/9/2005, in reply to message #69324

Screenshot added.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Jeffrey Lee Message #69326, posted by Phlamethrower at 00:02, 18/9/2005, in reply to message #69320

I don't have access to a RISC OS machine until I drag my old bones out of bed in the morning/afternoon/early evening (delete as applicable). You're a night owl, how about some screenshots on that page of yours?
Wait - if you've gone to bed now, what's the point of me posting the screenshot? :P
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Richard Goodwin Message #69339, posted by rich at 09:22, 18/9/2005, in reply to message #69326
Rich
Dictator for life
Wait - if you've gone to bed now, what's the point of me posting the screenshot? :P
Laptop near my bed :) (not RISC OS of course :()
________
RichGCheers,
Rich.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Ed Willson Message #69341, posted by eddyosaysyo at 10:03, 18/9/2005, in reply to message #69311
eddyosaysyo

How about some nice pretty backgrounds then? :-)
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Jeffrey Lee Message #69342, posted by Phlamethrower at 13:12, 18/9/2005, in reply to message #69341

Possibly. If I release another version then it's likely to be a complete rewrite, since the current code is almost a direct translation of my very ugly BASIC original.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Jeffrey Lee Message #70303, posted by Phlamethrower at 14:49, 9/10/2005, in reply to message #69300

And naturally I've also been thinking about something else 3D, but it's better if I don't think about that :P
That other 3D thing was this, which somehow avoided being included on the list on the first page. Except with far less random map madness and far more 3D-ness (Thanks to a portal engine, that would be powered by a random map generator. Hmm. :|)

At the moment my current train of thought is to forget the portal engine idea and go back to an overhead view. Still keep the near future dystopian/cyberpunk/apocalypse setting, but instead of being an average joe you'll be an inmate in a penal colony akin to the ones in Escape from LA/New York. Basic premise is that the apocalypse/killer virus/whatever has occured, all the prison guards are dead, so you're free to break out and create havoc among the remaining populace.

If each major city is built like a fortress then I can also forget about a limitless map and instead write a generator for fixed-size city maps and wasteland areas. I could even go as far as using hand scripted missions (Or templates for the map generator to fill in) instead of complete randomness.

Of course the problem is that I obviously want to start work on this, depsite the fact that I have hundreds of other things to do :P And if I was to start coding now it would end up a poorly designed mess with little to no artwork.

So instead I've been trying to convince myself that I can write a full design document for it, then get the coding done with very little trouble, conscript a load of people to make some artwork, and then release the game. Except of course that doing all of that would still take my attention away from the other things I should be doing :P (Or, more correctly, that other people would actually be interested in me doing)

And all that is rather academic, since I've been spending most of my time recently playing this or this.

Over the next day or two I'll be trying to tidy up GAIO, Super Bakeout, and that racing game so that I can stick half finished versions up on my website instead of them all being hidden in various playpen threads.
Hmm, perhaps I'd better do that instead :P

Incidentally, if anyone knows how to add 8 hours to each day, let me know :)

*:flamethrower: once more vanishes to hide under a rock for the next few weeks*
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Tony Haines Message #70325, posted by Loris at 11:46, 10/10/2005, in reply to message #70303
madbanHa ha, me mine, mwahahahaha
I've heard about something called the Uberman sleep schedule, good luck implementing it.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Jeffrey Lee Message #70327, posted by Phlamethrower at 13:27, 10/10/2005, in reply to message #70325

Interesting :o
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Richard Goodwin Message #70343, posted by rich at 19:50, 10/10/2005, in reply to message #70325
Rich
Dictator for life
I've heard about something called the Uberman sleep schedule, good luck implementing it.
Plus there's the whole switching to 28 hour days (6 per week) - you should still only need about the same amount of sleep but you get 4 extra hours per "day" to program. Combine the two and you might just get those extra 8 hours programming...
________
RichGCheers,
Rich.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Andrew Message #70347, posted by andrew at 20:06, 10/10/2005, in reply to message #70327
HandbagHandbag Boi
I wouldn't touch it! Think of your immune system and muscles. Nothing more important.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Richard Goodwin Message #70357, posted by rich at 09:41, 11/10/2005, in reply to message #70347
Rich
Dictator for life
I wouldn't touch it! Think of your immune system and muscles. Nothing more important.
Circadian rhythms are for losers! I for one welcome that blast of warmth at 2am!
________
RichGCheers,
Rich.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Jeffrey Lee Message #70379, posted by Phlamethrower at 15:42, 12/10/2005, in reply to message #70303

Over the next day or two I'll be trying to tidy up GAIO, Super Bakeout, and that racing game so that I can stick half finished versions up on my website instead of them all being hidden in various playpen threads.
Almost there :o
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Jeffrey Lee Message #70381, posted by Phlamethrower at 16:57, 12/10/2005, in reply to message #70379

Hurrah! :E

http://www.phlamethrower.co.uk/riscos/bake.php
http://www.phlamethrower.co.uk/riscos/gaio.php
http://www.phlamethrower.co.uk/riscos/micron.php
http://www.coderscauldron.com/woum/

[Edited by Phlamethrower at 16:05, 10/11/2005]
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

John Hoare Message #70383, posted by moss at 17:11, 12/10/2005, in reply to message #70381

:E:E:E
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Jeffrey Lee Message #70442, posted by Phlamethrower at 14:13, 14/10/2005, in reply to message #70383

OK, you all have about half an hour to decide whether I should work on this (new monsters, traps & more varied levels) or this (user interface & new map system to support more checkpoints, AI hints, holes, jumps & walls) today :)

[Edited by Phlamethrower at 16:05, 10/11/2005]
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Michael Drake Message #70443, posted by tlsa at 14:21, 14/10/2005, in reply to message #70442

This. :)
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Jeffrey Lee Message #70454, posted by Phlamethrower at 14:40, 14/10/2005, in reply to message #70443

Yay! The easy one :E
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Andrew Message #70458, posted by andrew at 17:08, 14/10/2005, in reply to message #70454
HandbagHandbag Boi
Is the toastie thing in the middle going to be a trap?
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Jeffrey Lee Message #70459, posted by Phlamethrower at 17:22, 14/10/2005, in reply to message #70458

That's (meant) to be the floor, so if you drive over that bit you'll fall off the track and lose/get a time penalty/etc.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Jeffrey Lee Message #70462, posted by Phlamethrower at 19:02, 14/10/2005, in reply to message #70459

New map system is done, so you can now fall through holes in the track and use jump ramps. The code needs some tweaking though. To simplify matters I'll probably change it so that all levels must use map sprites of a specific size, then I can play around with the graivty & ramp steepness values until they feel right.

Next I'll probably add support for the AI hints, which will probably be in the form of waypoints that the AI cars will follow around the track
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Jeffrey Lee Message #70466, posted by Phlamethrower at 19:38, 14/10/2005, in reply to message #70462

Hint code is now in, although the checkpoint code is temporarily broken and only awards checkpoints if you've traveled past the appropriate hints beforehand :cry:
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Pages (3): |< < 2 > >|

The Icon Bar: The Playpen: Over the summer 4: I Worship His Summer