Register new account
Forgot password
Forum stats
List of members
Search the forums

Advanced search
Recent discussions
- Archive Edition 27:2 reviewed (News:)
- Wakefield Show 2024 in Pictures (News:5)
- Drag'n'Drop 13i3 edition reviewed (News:)
- April 2024 News Summary (News:2)
- RISC OS 5.30 arrives (News:2)
- WROCC May 2024 meeting - Gerph talks games (News:)
- Upgrading your RISC OS system to 5.30 (News:2)
- WROCC May 2024 meeting on wednesday - Gerph talks games (News:)
- uniprint upgraded to 4.50 (News:)
- PhotoDesk 3.23 released (News:)
Latest postings RSS Feeds
RSS 2.0 | 1.0 | 0.9
Atom 0.3
Misc RDF | CDF

View on Mastodon
@www.iconbar.com@rss-parrot.net
Site Search

Article archives
The Icon Bar: The Playpen: Psycore games...

Psycore games...
  This is a long thread. Click here to view the threaded list.

antom Message #71063, posted by antom at 22:58, 25/10/2005
Basically, to cut a long story short(er), I used to run a website which hosted a few Acorn games for use with Redsquirrel and other various emulators. I ended up shutting it down after realising that some games were still for sale and a few requests from copyright owners to take stuff down. Sorry about that... :blush:

Anyway, I used to get quite a lot of emails, mainly from people with their Risc OS gaming memories. But I also got a few nice emails from a few of the game authors...

From what I remember, Ian Richardson (Bug Hunter series) emailed me, and I put him in touch with someone interested in converting those games for Symbian machines. Also, Graeme Richardson emailed me to see if I could provide him with a copies of his games to run on an emulator...! (Nevryon, Enter the Realm, etc).

One person who emailed me was the guy who created Big Bang and Revolver (I think it was Miles Visman), saying I could post them up on my site with both his own and his business partner's blessing - he even sent me boxed copies of both games through the post :)

What I'm basically saying is that I saw some old forum posts on here about said Psycore games and their availability. I've still got those old emails on my PC at home, and could try emailing him back to see if permission to put the games up for download on acornarcade.com could be granted. For now, I think Mr. Visman works at PomPom games (www.pompomgames.com), so I've put a post up in their forum. If I get a reply (and if I've tracked down the right guy!), I can provide ADF/Spark copies if needed.

(Note - I don't think Top Banana applies to this, considering Superior got the rights and re-released it under their Play It Again Sam range)

Also, I think I got permission for Kaptain Konflict to be put on my site, but I never got that game working... :frown: BUT... the guys who wrote it said they'd see if they could contact Coin-Age's Andrew about getting permission for some of their games - but I got no reply :(
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Jeffrey Lee Message #71065, posted by Phlamethrower at 23:14, 25/10/2005, in reply to message #71063
PhlamethrowerHot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot stuff

What I'm basically saying is that I saw some old forum posts on here about said Psycore games and their availability. I've still got those old emails on my PC at home, and could try emailing him back to see if permission to put the games up for download on acornarcade.com could be granted. For now, I think Mr. Visman works at PomPom games (www.pompomgames.com), so I've put a post up in their forum. If I get a reply (and if I've tracked down the right guy!), I can provide ADF/Spark copies if needed.
That would be excellent B) |bunny| |teddy| |teddy| |teddy|

Also, I think I got permission for Kaptain Konflict to be put on my site, but I never got that game working... :frown:
Never heard of the game before, but I might be able to get it working if you can send me a copy. I worked on most of the games in the free games section of Acorn Arcade, to remove the copy protection & make them StrongARM compatible.

[Edited by Phlamethrower at 15:12, 2/11/2005]
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

John Hoare Message #71066, posted by moss at 23:37, 25/10/2005, in reply to message #71065

Yay!

I only had demo copies of Big Bang and Revolver, but they were luvverly :)
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

antom Message #71067, posted by antom at 23:59, 25/10/2005, in reply to message #71066
Aye, Revolver is pretty addictive. I probably spent a good day playing it on my A3000 when it arrived :D

And Big Bang *does* sound pretty funky when you hook your Arc up to a Hi-Fi (as it advises in the supplied Readme). Still haven't passed level 2 as I still can't figure it out... hehe.

There might be a few other games that I got permission to upload... it was about 5 years ago so it's a pretty crusty Inbox! I'll have a good check when I go back home. That might be a while, unfortunatly, but I'll keep you posted.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Lewis Westbury Message #71069, posted by instantiator at 08:49, 26/10/2005, in reply to message #71063
Ian Richardson (Bug Hunter series)
Bug Hunter!!!
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Ed Willson Message #71073, posted by eddyosaysyo at 09:32, 26/10/2005, in reply to message #71069
eddyosaysyo

Bug Hunter!!!

Best. Game. Evar
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Simon Challands Message #71074, posted by SimonC at 09:58, 26/10/2005, in reply to message #71065
Elite
Right on, Commander!

Also, I think I got permission for Kaptain Konflict to be put on my site, but I never got that game working... :frown:
Never heard of the game before, but I might be able to get it working if you can send me a copy. I worked on most of the games in the free games section of Acorn Arcade, to remove the copy protection & make them StrongARM compatible.
I saw it once, ages ago, and thought it looked utterly dreadful. I don't remember giving it more than ten minutes of my time.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Andrew Poole Message #71075, posted by andypoole at 11:06, 26/10/2005, in reply to message #71074
andypoole
Mouse enthusiast
Web
Twitter

I saw it once, ages ago, and thought it looked utterly dreadful. I don't remember giving it more than ten minutes of my time.
Tsk! I remember spending hours playing Bug Hunter!
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Paul Vigay Message #71077, posted by pvigay at 11:48, 26/10/2005, in reply to message #71069

Bug Hunter!!!
Ooooh. Really addictive little game.

ISTR it was written in BASIC so I may see if I can dig out an old copy and 32-bit it. :-)
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Andrew Poole Message #71078, posted by andypoole at 11:50, 26/10/2005, in reply to message #71077
andypoole
Mouse enthusiast
Web
Twitter

Bug Hunter!!!
Ooooh. Really addictive little game.

ISTR it was written in BASIC so I may see if I can dig out an old copy and 32-bit it. :-)
Is that before, or after the other things?
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Simon Challands Message #71082, posted by SimonC at 12:00, 26/10/2005, in reply to message #71075
Elite
Right on, Commander!

Tsk! I remember spending hours playing Bug Hunter!
I've no objection to Bug Hunter (although I've only played Bug Hunter in Space), it was Kaptain Konflict that I remember as being awful.

[Edited by SimonC at 12:01, 26/10/2005]
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

antom Message #71090, posted by antom at 15:55, 26/10/2005, in reply to message #71082
Hehe... I remember Ian said something about no-one ripping off the 'walking on walls' aspect of Bug Hunter... and yeah, one of my favourite games ever too. I've always wanted to have a bash at making a Bug Hunter game in Flash, perhaps with a level editor or something...

Also, I had a go at running KK on the Arculator emulator last night... and it worked! I think the guy who sent it/gave permission for it originally was called Danny Root, and the company was Calderglen Computers.

I think he knew the guys from Coin-Age (Boogie Buggy, one of the most underrated games on the Acorn IMHO, Gribbley's Day Out, Pesky Muskrats, etc) from the Power To The Programmers disk magazine they ran - the first issue had a discount offer advertised for KK.

He also sent me another game - a sideways-scrolling shooter called Deeva (released 1990). Again, I'll check those old emails, see if the addresses still work, and see if permission for inclusion on acornarcade.com can be granted :)

They're not exactly great games, these two... but they're still Acorn games to add to your collection :)
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

antom Message #71118, posted by antom at 16:17, 27/10/2005, in reply to message #71090
Right - a quick update to say that I think I've tracked down Danny Root, of Kaptain Konflict/Deeva fame. I've fired off an email to check, so fingers crossed that I get a reply :)
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

antom Message #71347, posted by antom at 17:40, 1/11/2005, in reply to message #71063
Well, I've had a reply from Miles Visman...

"sorry been very busy working on the xbox360 version of mutant storm

id be happy for the games 'revolver' and 'big bang' to be included on acornarcade"

So there you go... smiles all around! Just tell me who/where I need to post the games to and I'll get on it. Also, as he's been such a nice bloke, maybe you guys could put up a link to PopPom games with the game listings? (Mutant Storm is pretty sweet after all :)
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Jeffrey Lee Message #71354, posted by Phlamethrower at 18:40, 1/11/2005, in reply to message #71347

Woo!

Just email phlamethrower@acornarcade.com and I'll sort it out :)

Also, as he's been such a nice bloke, maybe you guys could put up a link to PopPom games with the game listings?
I'm sure we can fit a mention in somewhere :)
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

antom Message #71371, posted by antom at 22:21, 1/11/2005, in reply to message #71354
Done, and done - hope you got the email alright :)
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Jeffrey Lee Message #71374, posted by Phlamethrower at 12:58, 2/11/2005, in reply to message #71371

Yup, got them :)

*goes to poke his game testing monkeys*
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Jeffrey Lee Message #71393, posted by Phlamethrower at 15:11, 2/11/2005, in reply to message #71374

:)

And to celebrate this occasion, |bunny| and |teddy| smileys! :)
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Phil Mellor Message #71394, posted by monkeyson2 at 15:19, 2/11/2005, in reply to message #71393
monkeyson2Please don't let them make me be a monkey butler

|bunny| |bunny| |bunny| |bunny| |bunny| |bunny| |bunny| |bunny| |bunny| |bunny| |bunny| |bunny| |bunny| |bunny| |bunny| |bunny| |bunny| |bunny| |bunny| |bunny| |bunny| |bunny| |bunny| |bunny| |bunny| |bunny| |bunny| |bunny| |bunny| |bunny| |bunny| |bunny| |bunny| |bunny| |bunny| |bunny| |bunny| |bunny| |bunny| |bunny| |bunny| |bunny| |bunny| |bunny| |bunny| |bunny| |bunny| |bunny| |bunny| |bunny| |bunny| |bunny| |bunny| |bunny| |bunny| |bunny| |bunny| |bunny| |bunny| |bunny| |bunny| |bunny| |bunny| |bunny| |bunny| |bunny| |bunny| |bunny| |bunny| |bunny| |bunny| |bunny| |bunny| |bunny| |bunny| |bunny| |bunny| |bunny| |bunny| |bunny| |bunny| |bunny| |bunny| |bunny| |bunny| |bunny| |bunny| |bunny| |bunny| |bunny| |bunny| |bunny| |bunny| |bunny| |bunny| |bunny| |bunny| |bunny| |bunny| |bunny| |bunny| |bunny| |bunny| |bunny| |bunny|

my eyes hurt now
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Ed Willson Message #71397, posted by eddyosaysyo at 16:39, 2/11/2005, in reply to message #71090
eddyosaysyo

(Boogie Buggy, one of the most underrated games on the Acorn IMHO, Gribbly's Day Out, Pesky Muskrats, etc)
Fantastic game. Can you bully Coin-Age into releasing that as freeware? I corrupted my version whilst attempting to patch it X(
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

antom Message #71452, posted by antom at 19:00, 3/11/2005, in reply to message #71397
After a search for the old Coin-Age address on google Maps, I found that Coin-Age was probably run from a terraced house in the Burnley area. Searches for Andrew Stanworth and Lesey Daws (the two guys who ran it) don't get anything worthwhile or relevant, unfortunatly.

(ok, re-reading that last paragraph makes this sound like Crimewatch. Don't have nightmares.)

It might be a problem getting Gribbley's Day out released, considering it's a port. Stuff like Pesky Muskrats is more likely (shame Boogie Buggy was released by the Forth Dimension... absolute classic. Doesn't work properly in the emulators, though :cry: )

Also, I read somewhere that the Top Banana sountrack was released as a single along with the game. How ace is that?! Anyone heard it, by any chance?

[Edited by antom at 19:03, 3/11/2005]
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Ed Willson Message #71460, posted by eddyosaysyo at 20:09, 3/11/2005, in reply to message #71452
eddyosaysyo

It might be a problem getting Gribbley's Day out released, considering it's a port. Stuff like Pesky Muskrats is more likely (shame Boogie Buggy was released by the Forth Dimension... absolute classic.
AFAIK Gribblys Day out was not a port. It was inspired (quite heavily) by the C64 game of the same name, but the Graphics/Levels/Music were all original.

And contrary to popular beleif, there was never an Amiga port.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

antom Message #71869, posted by antom at 14:45, 14/11/2005, in reply to message #71460
Right, I went home at the weekend and managed to copy all my old emails to my mobile HD. I'm going to have a look and see what else people have said, and hopefully see if anyone else agreed to release their games.

I'm also going to be translating an email from the bloke who wrote Sally & Wally and (IIRC) Bubblefair for Eterna (a guy called Laurent Roussel - can anyone with the games confirm this?) - I *think*'librement' means free, at least so it's looking promising... !

I still reckon that Gribbley's was a (loose) port - it'll still be the same game underneath won't it? just nicer graphics and all that :)

(also, didn't they make it with assistance from the guy who did the C64 original? Andrew Braybrook?)

[Edited by antom at 14:46, 14/11/2005]
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Phil Mellor Message #71870, posted by monkeyson2 at 14:49, 14/11/2005, in reply to message #71869
monkeyson2Please don't let them make me be a monkey butler

It was called "Gribbly's Day Out On The Arc".
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Ian Richardson Message #73283, posted by IanR at 17:46, 4/1/2006, in reply to message #71063

From what I remember, Ian Richardson (Bug Hunter series) emailed me ...
That was a while ago! Yes I did.

Nice to see that people still remember Bug Hunter : )

Minerva Software still own the copyright so I have tracked down their email address and sent off an email asking if they object to free downloads ... I'll let you know what they say ...
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

John Hoare Message #73285, posted by moss at 17:52, 4/1/2006, in reply to message #73283

Minerva Software still own the copyright so I have tracked down their email address and sent off an email asking if they object to free downloads ... I'll let you know what they say ...
Hooray! Thanks :)
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

James Shaw Message #73306, posted by Hertzsprung at 10:16, 5/1/2006, in reply to message #73283
Hertzsprung
Ghost-like

From what I remember, Ian Richardson (Bug Hunter series) emailed me ...
Aah, Minerva. I used to go to their shop in Exeter and drool over their A5000.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Ian Cook Message #73316, posted by ilcook at 18:15, 5/1/2006, in reply to message #73306
trainResident idiot
So what I use to go to beebug's shop, and drool over the equipment there. :)
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Ed Willson Message #73319, posted by eddyosaysyo at 21:14, 5/1/2006, in reply to message #73316
eddyosaysyo

:o Me too, you're not in St. Albans as well are you? :o
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Ian Cook Message #73320, posted by ilcook at 21:43, 5/1/2006, in reply to message #73319
trainResident idiot
:o Me too, you're not in St. Albans as well are you? :o
No, Bedfordshire.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Pages (2): 1 > >|

The Icon Bar: The Playpen: Psycore games...