User accounts
Register new account
Forgot password
Forum stats
List of members
Search the forums

Advanced search
Recent discussions
- Upgrading your RISC OS system to 5.30 (News:1)
- Wakefield Show 2024 in Pictures (News:4)
- RISC OS 5.30 arrives (News:1)
- April 2024 News Summary (News:1)
- uniprint upgraded to 4.50 (News:)
- PhotoDesk 3.23 released (News:)
- R-Comp reveals N.Ex.T Boxes - the successor to the i.MX6 (News:)
- RISCOSbits at Wakefield Show 2024 (News:)
- R-Comp releases Genealogy v2 (News:)
- Will we see 5.30 released at Wakefield show? (News:1)
Latest postings RSS Feeds
RSS 2.0 | 1.0 | 0.9
Atom 0.3
Misc RDF | CDF

View on Mastodon
@www.iconbar.com@rss-parrot.net
Site Search

Article archives
The Icon Bar: General: Leopard

Leopard
  This is a long thread. Click here to view the threaded list.

Phil Mellor Message #105011, posted by monkeyson2 at 19:53, 28/10/2007, in reply to message #105010
monkeyson2Please don't let them make me be a monkey butler

http://m3.entitea.com/pics/pic_5580970011890947492.jpg shock
grin

Why do people hate Amstrads so much? I had one, and it was quite nice.
And where would RISC OS be in that line up?
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Chris Message #105013, posted by Chris at 20:24, 28/10/2007, in reply to message #105011
laughlaughlaughlaughlaugh
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

richard cheng Message #105021, posted by richcheng at 11:08, 29/10/2007, in reply to message #105013

Love the Photoshoppage.

So who's got Leopard then? We're getting a copy at the office, but it's not arrived yet.

When are we changing the name of the site to AppleBar?
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Andrew Poole Message #105025, posted by andypoole at 11:36, 29/10/2007, in reply to message #105021
andypoole
Mouse enthusiast
Web
Twitter

Love the Photoshoppage.

So who's got Leopard then? We're getting a copy at the office, but it's not arrived yet.
I will be at some point in the next couple of weeks. Probably.

It's already been done. iConbar. wink
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Richard Goodwin Message #105031, posted by rich at 19:33, 29/10/2007, in reply to message #105025
Rich
Dictator for life
It's already been done. iConbar. wink
iConbar
________
RichGCheers,
Rich.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Jason Tribbeck Message #105037, posted by tribbles at 23:41, 29/10/2007, in reply to message #105021
tribbles
Captain Helix

Not got Leopard yet; I'm waiting for the dust to settle with this blue screen stuff.

And I want to upgrade Logic at the same time.

And get a new laptop smile

Will probably do it in the New Year.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

John Hoare Message #105040, posted by moss at 01:05, 30/10/2007, in reply to message #105037

Not got Leopard yet; I'm waiting for the dust to settle with this blue screen stuff.
http://daringfireball.net/2007/10/blue_in_the_face

I'm not getting Leopard yet either. With a 512MB Mac Mini, there doesn't seem much point - any money I spent on it would be better off going towards a 1GB upgrade.

Although I hope to make enough money from my business (which is finally going well - lots of jobs on at the moment) to buy a Macbook Pro in the New Year. Although I might hold off and wait for next line refresh.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Jason Tribbeck Message #105043, posted by tribbles at 12:04, 30/10/2007, in reply to message #105040
tribbles
Captain Helix

http://daringfireball.net/2007/10/blue_in_the_face
Hmm - doesn't seem quite as bad as I thought (although I've no idea if I've inadvertently installed an old APE version - but I'll look for those files/directories)...
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

richard cheng Message #105096, posted by richcheng at 15:04, 2/11/2007, in reply to message #105043

Okay. Leopard is now installed on my work iMac. Install went smoothly, and took about an hour.

So far, no complaints from me.

Good features:

1. Quick Look, which I initially thought sounded gimmicky, and which I thought would probably be too slow to ever actually consider using, seems pretty much instantaneous. The jury's still out on whether I find myself actually using it day-to-day.

2. Spaces is a pretty nice virtual desktop implementation. Like it.

3. Networking is waaay better. The automatic list of available computers on the network seems to actually work properly, and the lack of beachball-of-death when failing to connect to one is much appreciated.

All in all, I give it a thumbs up, and suspect I will upgrade my girlfriend's boxes when I get around to it.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Phil Mellor Message #105101, posted by monkeyson2 at 15:54, 2/11/2007, in reply to message #105096

my girlfriend's boxes
shock
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Jason Tribbeck Message #105146, posted by tribbles at 12:05, 8/11/2007, in reply to message #105101
tribbles
Captain Helix

I went to the Apple store (London) last night and bought Leopard (and an upgrade to Logic Studio - which comes on 10 DVDs).

Will be installing it tonight...
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Jeffrey Lee Message #105147, posted by Phlamethrower at 12:06, 8/11/2007, in reply to message #105146
PhlamethrowerHot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot stuff

- which comes on 10 DVDs
shock

When are Apple going to start making machines with HD-DVD/Blu-ray drives, then?
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

richard cheng Message #105153, posted by richcheng at 16:13, 8/11/2007, in reply to message #105096

4. Screen sharing is a nice, user-friendly front end to VNC too.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

richard cheng Message #105154, posted by richcheng at 16:14, 8/11/2007, in reply to message #105153

5. Terminal is massively improved.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Jason Tribbeck Message #105160, posted by tribbles at 19:23, 8/11/2007, in reply to message #105154
tribbles
Captain Helix

Installation now done; had to do a forced reboot though (all updates now done).
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Jason Tribbeck Message #105167, posted by tribbles at 23:32, 8/11/2007, in reply to message #105147
tribbles
Captain Helix

- which comes on 10 DVDs
shock

When are Apple going to start making machines with HD-DVD/Blu-ray drives, then?
Well, I didn't want to see this during the first DVD at 22:30

User Included Picture

It's now 4 hours and 8 minutes...
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Jason Togneri Message #105169, posted by filecore at 08:59, 9/11/2007, in reply to message #105037

beachball-of-death when failing to connect
(Yes, I realise it was a "we no longer have...")

Installation now done; had to do a forced reboot though
Mwahahahaha! All you Apple fanbois! Now it sounds like you're talking about Windows. See how your mighty OS has fallen! This is the sort of stuff you complained about for years on Windows boxes, and now your Mac OS is doing the same. I find this most amusing.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Phil Mellor Message #105170, posted by monkeyson2 at 09:15, 9/11/2007, in reply to message #105169

Mwahahahaha! All you Apple fanbois! Now it sounds like you're talking about Windows. See how your mighty OS has fallen! This is the sort of stuff you complained about for years on Windows boxes, and now your Mac OS is doing the same. I find this most amusing.
*Blames Intel or ATI, or something*
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Andrew Poole Message #105183, posted by andypoole at 09:45, 10/11/2007, in reply to message #105170
andypoole
Mouse enthusiast
Web
Twitter

Well I shall be installing the big spotted cat later today, along with the new versions of iLife and iWork.

I'm going to format the drive and start from afresh with leopard. I've tinkered too much with stuff in Tiger, and would prefer the "newness" instead of finding my stuff all over the place in it.

This is of course once I've been into town after ringing the quarter this morning to pick it up from the post office who didn't want to deliver it.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Andrew Poole Message #105185, posted by andypoole at 12:22, 10/11/2007, in reply to message #105183
andypoole
Mouse enthusiast
Web
Twitter

Well I shall be installing the big spotted cat later today, along with the new versions of iLife and iWork.

I'm going to format the drive and start from afresh with leopard. I've tinkered too much with stuff in Tiger, and would prefer the "newness" instead of finding my stuff all over the place in it.

This is of course once I've been into town after ringing the quarter this morning to pick it up from the post office who didn't want to deliver it.
Well, it's installing... Right now it says "installing mac os x on the volume 'minnie'", and that it's still caclculating the time remaining. There's a lot of optical drive noise going on..
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Andrew Poole Message #105186, posted by andypoole at 13:18, 10/11/2007, in reply to message #105185
andypoole
Mouse enthusiast
Web
Twitter

And I'm in smile

I didn't have to force any reboots or anything, either smile

Now.. to install iLife and iWork, then put all my iData back on here...
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Phil Mellor Message #106781, posted by monkeyson2 at 23:40, 17/3/2008, in reply to message #105186

I have teh Leopard. ROAR!

Installation was fine, apart from me writing down my wireless router password incorrectly and not being able to reconnect. Yay for the Wii internet channel letting me find it out again!
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

John Message #106785, posted by mr-mac at 12:14, 18/3/2008, in reply to message #105010
The way it looks to me....

that list is just marketing bs to make people think they are getting a lot.... Have Microsoft not been relying on marketing BS for years?

Your right though it will be nice to see a real list of improvements from end users...

[Edited by mr-mac at 12:16, 18/3/2008]
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Andrew Poole Message #106794, posted by andypoole at 15:38, 18/3/2008, in reply to message #106781
andypoole
Mouse enthusiast
Web
Twitter

I have teh Leopard. ROAR!

Installation was fine, apart from me writing down my wireless router password incorrectly and not being able to reconnect. Yay for the Wii internet channel letting me find it out again!
Did you do an upgrade install, or a fresh install? I hear reports that fresh installs are generally the best way to go, however YMMV.

Andy.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Phil Mellor Message #106797, posted by monkeyson2 at 17:03, 18/3/2008, in reply to message #106794

Did you do an upgrade install, or a fresh install? I hear reports that fresh installs are generally the best way to go, however YMMV.
Upgrade. I've got too much stuff installed, downloaded and set up to do a clean install, and not enough hard drive space to do an archive and install. tongue

I wish I'd reformatted my external hard drive from FAT32 to HFS+ when I bought it - although I've got stuff backed up on it, I'm not convinced that restoring applications and anything involving HFS+ properties, unix permissions, or symbolic links would work properly.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Phil Mellor Message #108975, posted by monkeyson2 at 23:54, 8/12/2008, in reply to message #104807

So then, let's revisit this:

Automator: Improved UI, UI recording, Command Line Utility, Workflow Variables, Workflow Looping, PDF manipulation. I've only recently discovered Automator, and these all look lovely enhancements.
Not actually used it. Wanted to use it several times when I was at work. unhappy

Boot Camp: wouldn't use it personally, but I know this is a big feature for potential Mac switchers.
Haven't used it. I have Crossover for testing sites with IE6.

Dock: new look. I think I'm the only person who likes it.
Used the old (2D) style Dock on my Mac Mini. Use the new 3D Dock on my MacBook Pro - strangely, it seems to work really well there - possibly because the screen is up against the keyboard.

Dictionary: Wikipedia integration. Dictionary is accessible from the context menu of pretty much any selected text, so this is great.
Not used the full Dictionary app much, but I use the integrated spellchecker all the time.

DVD player: all of it, but especially scratched disk recovery and image bar.
I like the chapter thumbnails, but haven't had the need to use any of the more advanced features.

Graphics & Media: Core Image filters - I assume image manipulators that make use of CI (like Acorn) will work with these. Core Animation - looks very powerful (but waiting to see what developers do with it)
Again, not really done much creative work that would use these features yet.

Photo Booth: just incase those vodcasts ever happen wink
Great for larking about. The rollercoaster background is fun fun fun!

Preview: Hate the look of the toolbar buttons, but other than that the new UI and image/pdf processing features are a big improvement.
Love it - especially with the pinch/squeeze zoom controls and two fingered panning. Turned the toolbar off - no need for it.

Finder: Finally they've FTFF.
Love it. Haven't really used Cover Flow though.

Quick Look: if it's as quick as the name suggests, this a good thing - especially when using Time Machine with the Finder.
Love it - it's one of the things I really miss on a non-Leopard machine (PC or Mac). It even works on things like Garageband files.

Safari: Been using the beta for a while, and I prefer it to Firefox and Camino, so ner.
Still prefer it to other browsers - the UI just feels more polished. I've ditched Safari for Windows at work and use Chrome instead. Love WebKit's Web Inspector tool in either case, though.

Spaces: best virtual desktop implementation I've seen for a while - especially how it integrates with Expose so you can see all the virtual desktops on one screen and drag windows between them.
Enabled it, kept forgetting to use it. I've become a fan of the age-old Hide Current App / Hide Others shortcuts instead.

Spotlight: Boolean logic. Search by filename. Application launching. Calculations (I normally use Google as my desktop calculator, so this will streamline things quite a bit)
Use it all the time. Completely fail to organise any files now - I just have a big directory filled with stuff. (I always lapsed into doing this before on all my other computers, but with Spotlight it doesn't actually matter now)

System: Guest log-in accounts. Scroll non-active windows. Grammar check (system wide).
The scrolling is dead useful - RISC OS works the same way IIRC. Can't say I've noticed the grammar check - maybe I made it up?

Time machine: I get to travel in time and space with Billie Piper? Drool
Already saved me a couple of times - a podcast clearout that was a bit too drastic, restoring edited photos that I'd removed because I didn't like the results at the time, and recovering great chunks of source code that I'd hacked around with and got into a totally broken state. (I did this on purpose knowing I'd be able to recover my changes).

It's also handy that I can access the backups from my Mini on my MBP (they're both on a 1TB external hard drive). The one disadvantage of my haphazard filing system is that I end up with tons of junk I no longer need, so when I got my new Mac I didn't transfer much of it over. Because it's all backed up on my Time Machine disk, I can just browse it with the Finder and grab the bits I need at the time without having to rig up the old computer again.

Universal Access: Alex - a new voice. Sometimes I self-proof-read documents by getting the computer to read them out. The demo I heard of this voice was really, really good.
It is remarkably better than the older voices (which we used for Virtual Vigay on Podcast 2).

UNIX: Ruby on Rails built in. Cocoa bridges for Python.
On the to-do list.

XCode 3: Instant-on debugging. Objective-C 2 (I actually might start learning this, this time). Refactoring.
I really, really like developing stuff for the iPhone. Already written a couple of apps (I might polish one up for the App Store when I get time). Hated XCode on my old Mini - far too slow, and it kept swapping all the time - but it's way better on the MBP. Interface Builder is neat - reminds me of ResEd, but nicer.

Other stuff I like -

- Stacks. Safari downloads everything to my Downloads folder (naturally). I have a stack with the files sorted by most recently added. It bounces once when a download is complete, and I can just click on it to see the new file. It's not rocket science, but it's a very slick way of working.

- File previews. These just seem really nicely done. They're generated quickly, remain up to date, and can be scaled big enough to see what's going on with them.

- Multi-touch gestures. OK, this is a Unibody MacBook feature, not Leopard, but I bloody love it. I actually prefer using the touchpad to the mouse - never thought I'd say that before. Pinching to zoom, scrolling in any direction with two fingers, three fingers to go back/forwards, and four finger swipes to show the desktop or all the windows (Expose). It's ace - you can get so much done with so little effort.

Overall - I wouldn't go back to Tiger now. Not sure it was completely worth the upgrade on the Mac Mini - it wasn't fully compatible with my old, old versions of iPhoto and Garageband (scrolling and dragging went a bit wonky sometimes), and the sluggish performance of XCode 3 wasn't fun - but it kept me going for a few months before I could upgrade the hardware. On a more recent Mac it would have been well worth it.

[Edited by monkeyson2 at 00:06, 9/12/2008]
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Pages (2): |< < 2

The Icon Bar: General: Leopard