Register new account
Forgot password
Forum stats
List of members
Search the forums

Advanced search
Recent discussions
- Archive Edition 27:2 reviewed (News:)
- WROCC May 2024 meeting - Gerph talks games (News:)
- Drag'n'Drop 13i3 edition reviewed (News:1)
- Wakefield Show 2024 in Pictures (News:5)
- April 2024 News Summary (News:2)
- RISC OS 5.30 arrives (News:2)
- Upgrading your RISC OS system to 5.30 (News:2)
- WROCC May 2024 meeting on wednesday - Gerph talks games (News:)
- uniprint upgraded to 4.50 (News:)
- PhotoDesk 3.23 released (News:)
Latest postings RSS Feeds
RSS 2.0 | 1.0 | 0.9
Atom 0.3
Misc RDF | CDF

View on Mastodon
@www.iconbar.com@rss-parrot.net
Site Search

Article archives
The Icon Bar: The Playpen: Doctor Woo

Doctor Woo
  This is a long thread. Click here to view the threaded list.

Jeffrey Lee Message #100996, posted by Phlamethrower at 18:55, 31/3/2007
PhlamethrowerHot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot stuff

What do people think Doctor Who would be like if it was directed by John Woo?

Also, please to be discussing here episode of this week.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Andrew Poole Message #100998, posted by andypoole at 19:51, 31/3/2007, in reply to message #100996
andypoole
Mouse enthusiast
Web
Twitter

Also, please to be discussing here episode of this week.
Well?
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Jeffrey Lee Message #100999, posted by Phlamethrower at 19:54, 31/3/2007, in reply to message #100998

Nice spaceships... interesting use of aliens... curious backup power supply the hospital has. Also, I wonder how the families of the policemen who were investigating the missing hospital feel, now that their loved ones are crushed beneath the hospital.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Andrew Poole Message #101000, posted by andypoole at 19:58, 31/3/2007, in reply to message #100999
andypoole
Mouse enthusiast
Web
Twitter

Nice spaceships... interesting use of aliens... curious backup power supply the hospital has. Also, I wonder how the families of the policemen who were investigating the missing hospital feel, now that their loved ones are crushed beneath the hospital.
Also, it makes a change that we weren't actually on earth or some random space station..
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Peter Howkins Message #101009, posted by flibble at 21:34, 31/3/2007, in reply to message #100996
flibble

What do people think Doctor Who would be like if it was directed by John Woo?
[Edited by rich at 11:35, 1/4/2007. Given that we cockmonkey people for image linkage, I thought it best to move this to an attachment: http://opal.spod.org/~peter/drwoo.jpg]
drwoo.jpg 350x250 48.2KB
drwoo.jpg
350x250
48.2KB

^[ Log in to reply ]

Jeffrey Lee Message #101153, posted by Phlamethrower at 21:03, 7/4/2007, in reply to message #101009

And for the benefits of the notnotbbcers, here's my verdict on this weeks episode.

It looked OK, but it was a bit meh. The evil C-things seemed to spend a lot of time coming out of the whatever-it-was they were coming out of, but didn't seem to spend much time slaughtering the people in the theatre. Which, as far as I could tell, was what they were waiting to do. (Along with slaughtering everyone else on Earth, of course).

I think I don't like these ones that are set in the past. Too much hinting at messing around with the space-time continuum thingy. I'd rather that they were messing around on an alien planet, or in the future (like next weeks ep), because that way they don't have to do all that arsing about with famous historic dead people (who are inevitably part of some plot to destroy the universe).
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Jeffrey Lee Message #101158, posted by Phlamethrower at 23:18, 7/4/2007, in reply to message #101153

Actually, CONTINUITY ERROR.

How durable is the exterior of the TARDIS? Considering that it can travel through space, it must need to be pretty tough, to survive the vacuum and all the nasty space debris. And didn't the dalek fleet shoot at it at the end of the first season?

Anyway, my point is, that at the end of this weeks episode an arrow which was shot at the doctor hits and sticks into the door of the TARDIS. Surely the TARDIS is just meant to look like it's made of wood, and not actually be made of it? It would be rather embarassing if someone just set fire to the outside and watched the whole thing burn down.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Phil Mellor Message #101160, posted by monkeyson2 at 01:43, 8/4/2007, in reply to message #101158
monkeyson2Please don't let them make me be a monkey butler

Oh stop whinging tongue

If they made Doctor Who as boring as real life then it would be very boring indeed!
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Peter Howkins Message #101161, posted by flibble at 08:47, 8/4/2007, in reply to message #101158
flibble

How durable is the exterior of the TARDIS?
Using old series continuity as a base ... completely impervious to all forms of attack, damage or intrusion. Unless of course it's needed for story reasons wink
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Richard Goodwin Message #101189, posted by rich at 19:38, 9/4/2007, in reply to message #101158
Rich
Dictator for life
Continuity error: Tom Baker's Doctor met Shakespeare. In fact, he recognised his own handwriting on the original copy of Hamlet(?). It's in City of Death, so not exactly an obscure story.

But I enjoyed this week's episode.
________
RichGCheers,
Rich.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Antony Sidwell Message #101201, posted by ajps at 01:21, 10/4/2007, in reply to message #101189
Continuity error: Tom Baker's Doctor met Shakespeare. In fact, he recognised his own handwriting on the original copy of Hamlet(?). It's in City of Death, so not exactly an obscure story.

But I enjoyed this week's episode.
The writer, Gareth Roberts, is very much a fan of the 4th Doctor/Romana era and so it wasn't an error, as such, more a deliberate break. My brother tells me (God knows where he heard it) that the first version of the story referenced City of Death, but it was dropped somewhere along the way as being too confusing, or something.

As for the arrow in the door - it's been done before (in Silver Nemesis) - I like to think it was an intentional reference to the earlier story, but I like it either way.

I also enjoyed this week's episode.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

John Hoare Message #101203, posted by moss at 04:01, 10/4/2007, in reply to message #101201

[The writer, Gareth Roberts, is very much a fan of the 4th Doctor/Romana era and so it wasn't an error, as such, more a deliberate break. My brother tells me (God knows where he heard it) that the first version of the story referenced City of Death, but it was dropped somewhere along the way as being too confusing, or something.
Yes, I also heard this. Actually, I think it was on Confidential, but I could be wrong.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Ian Cook Message #101216, posted by ilcook at 18:28, 10/4/2007, in reply to message #101201
trainResident idiot
The writer, Gareth Roberts, is very much a fan of the 4th Doctor/Romana era and so it wasn't an error, as such, more a deliberate break. My brother tells me (God knows where he heard it) that the first version of the story referenced City of Death, but it was dropped somewhere along the way as being too confusing, or something.

As for the arrow in the door - it's been done before (in Silver Nemesis) - I like to think it was an intentional reference to the earlier story, but I like it either way.

I also enjoyed this week's episode.
There was a Lewis Carroll quote in there toward the end as well.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Andrew Poole Message #101306, posted by andypoole at 18:36, 12/4/2007, in reply to message #101216
andypoole
Mouse enthusiast
Web
Twitter

Rage
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Phil Mellor Message #101307, posted by monkeyson2 at 19:32, 12/4/2007, in reply to message #101306

SCHEDULING IDIOTS.

Can't they put the footy on BBC2 or something?
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Andrew Poole Message #101368, posted by andypoole at 23:15, 14/4/2007, in reply to message #101307
andypoole
Mouse enthusiast
Web
Twitter

Gridlock, then?
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Andrew Message #101369, posted by andrew at 00:21, 15/4/2007, in reply to message #101368
HandbagHandbag Boi
I thought it was quite good this week. When he talks about his planet's destruction at the end as well. Was this ever a televised story?

Also was that a Dalek I saw at the end? How have they managed to return again? I basically missed the "new" series 2 so presumably the last remaining Dalek had spawned a new fleet etc but what happened in the series finale?

Did you hear how that face (I thought he was preserved in liquid in a series 1 episode?) said the Doctor was not alone? THE MASTER!!! No?

[Edited by andrew at 00:23, 15/4/2007]
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Phil Mellor Message #101370, posted by monkeyson2 at 03:03, 15/4/2007, in reply to message #101369

You big old face tongue
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

VinceH Message #101373, posted by VincceH at 10:09, 15/4/2007, in reply to message #101369
VincceH
Lowering the tone since the dawn of time

I thought it was quite good this week.
Ditto.

When he talks about his planet's destruction at the end as well. Was this ever a televised story?
No. The Last Great Time War happened somewhere between Doctor Who originally being cancelled, and resurrected again a few years ago, making it a part of the back story/mythology of New Who.

So I'm really pissed off that the Beeb originally cancelled it - I'm sure the events we've missed would have made for great telly. cool

ISTR that the subject of the Time War and Gallifrey's destruction is covered in in a number of books, but they're not canon. (Unless the makers of the TV show think "that's a good idea - we'll use it" whereupon it becomes canon.)

Also was that a Dalek I saw at the end?
Yes, yes it was.

How have they managed to return again?
We'll find out next week. tongue

Did you hear how that face (I thought he was preserved in liquid in a series 1 episode?)
Hence the comment about breating again.

said the Doctor was not alone? THE MASTER!!! No?
No - my money's on The Doctor.

And I blame Jack Harkness and The Doctor's severed hand.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Jeffrey Lee Message #101375, posted by Phlamethrower at 10:43, 15/4/2007, in reply to message #101373

Maybe Jack's used the severed hand to clone a new doctor shock
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

VinceH Message #101378, posted by VincceH at 11:25, 15/4/2007, in reply to message #101375
VincceH

That's sort of my thinking. Some kind of regeneration of the rest of his body. When the hand was severed, IIRC, he said he was able to regenerate it because he was still coming out of his regeneration cycle, which hints at this not being likely.

However, Torchwood S1 ended with Jack seemingly disappearing in the TARDIS - given the power held in that little blue box, maybe something happened on board to regenerate The Doctor from the hand.

The flaw with that thinking, of course, is that the TARDIS picking Jack up implies the presence of The Doctor.

However, we know that in some circumstances the TARDIS will take itself to The Doctor. I'm wondering if somewhere down the line The Doctor will become separated from The TARDIS, and the TARDIS will do it's impersonation of The Luggage tracking Rincewind - but due to the nature of the separation, it somehow found itself to just the hand. Perhaps the hand was closer to it in the time/space continuum.

Then, with the absense of The Doctor and the TARDIS coming to him/the hand, Jack might conclude The Doctor has been killed, and that the TARDIS made that journey specifically to [re]generate the [a new] Doctor from the hand.

Edit: The Face did tell The Doctor that he was not alone, yes - but just before that he said The Doctor (like him) was the last of his kind, which is a mutually exclusive statement if the not being alone referred to another Time Lord. If that other Time Lord is The Doctor, then while it's a very fine line, it could just about be said to be true.

[Edited by VincceH at 11:30, 15/4/2007]
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Andrew Message #101380, posted by andrew at 13:01, 15/4/2007, in reply to message #101378
HandbagHandbag Boi
ISTR there being some heavy hostility going on between the Timelords nd the Daleks in an episode/story with Pertwee I saw once.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Phil Mellor Message #101382, posted by monkeyson2 at 13:18, 15/4/2007, in reply to message #101380

ISTR there being some heavy hostility going on between the Timelords nd the Daleks in an episode/story with Pertwee I saw once.
Yeah, nobody gets on with those Daleks tongue
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

VinceH Message #101383, posted by VincceH at 13:20, 15/4/2007, in reply to message #101382
VincceH

Yeah, nobody gets on with those Daleks tongue
I'm sure they were just misunderstood.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Richard Goodwin Message #101402, posted by rich at 08:18, 16/4/2007, in reply to message #101378
Rich
Dictator for life
How have they managed to return again?
There were four special daleks (the ones with names) which escaped the battle of torchwood tower in the previous series using their time travel abilities. I think one of them actually called out that they should do this. And as one of them in the advert was black, it's a pretty good bet it's the same one.

Not sure about the whole Doctor clone thing; especially as the rumour is that
SPOILER ALERT:
John Simm will turn up at the end of the series as the Master, who I don't think is technically a time lord any more after exceeding his regenerations and stealing a body. But then, there's been rumours of the Rani too, and they don't seem to have panned out. Maybe Russell T is putting out mis-information.
________
RichGCheers,
Rich.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

VinceH Message #101403, posted by VincceH at 08:42, 16/4/2007, in reply to message #101402
VincceH

I try to avoid reading rumours about TV shows I'm watching, though sometimes I break that rule. Speculation is more fun and avoids spoilage.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Andrew Message #101411, posted by andrew at 10:52, 16/4/2007, in reply to message #101402
HandbagHandbag Boi
Spoiler:

http://www.thesun.co.uk/article/0,,2001320029-2007040780,00.html

That drawing is just Ainley pasted on.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Andrew Rawnsley Message #101412, posted by arawnsley at 11:34, 16/4/2007, in reply to message #101411
R-Comp chap
At least the BBC have finally got the hang of having sci-fi shows link together from one episode/series to the next, rather than the usual "episode of the week" thing. For me, the strongest aspect of New-Who and Torchwood has been the blending of episodes/series to give regular viewers that little bit extra in terms of story arc. Long may it continue!
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Tony Haines Message #101424, posted by Loris at 18:44, 16/4/2007, in reply to message #101369
madbanHa ha, me mine, mwahahahaha
Did you hear how that face (I thought he was preserved in liquid in a series 1 episode?) said the Doctor was not alone? THE MASTER!!! No?
I thought it was a warning about the darleks.

Or there could be a Time-Lady in existence, so they could start a family and make little time-babies.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Adam Lloyd Message #101585, posted by adamlloyd at 20:39, 19/4/2007, in reply to message #101009
[Edited by rich at 11:35, 1/4/2007. Given that we cockmonkey people for image linkage, I thought it best to move this to an attachment: http://opal.spod.org/~peter/drwoo.jpg]
shock

[Edited by adamlloyd at 20:39, 19/4/2007]
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Pages (4): 1 > >|

The Icon Bar: The Playpen: Doctor Woo