Register new account
Forgot password
Forum stats
List of members
Search the forums

Advanced search
Recent discussions
- R-Comp releases Genealogy v2 (News:)
- Will we see 5.30 released at Wakefield show? (News:1)
- Sine Nomine updates RiscOSM and Impact (News:)
- Netfetch version 5.55 released (News:)
- Prizes for Wakefield Show announced (News:)
- Heretic update from R-Comp (News:)
- Wakefield Show 2024 is next Saturday (News:)
- Git client updated to 0.07 (News:2)
- Archive Edition 27:1 reviewed (News:)
- Rougol April 2024 meeting on monday is Anniversary time (News:1)
Latest postings RSS Feeds
RSS 2.0 | 1.0 | 0.9
Atom 0.3
Misc RDF | CDF

View on Mastodon
@www.iconbar.com@rss-parrot.net
Site Search

Article archives
The Icon Bar: General: My Risc PC contents of HD

My Risc PC contents of HD
  owaincole (13:20 28/7/2008)
  owaincole (13:22 28/7/2008)
  filecore (13:30 28/7/2008)
    adamr (21:02 28/7/2008)
      filecore (20:00 29/7/2008)
        filecore (20:14 29/7/2008)
          Phlamethrower (20:34 29/7/2008)
            Phlamethrower (21:05 29/7/2008)
              Phlamethrower (21:34 29/7/2008)
              jymbob (22:44 29/7/2008)
                filecore (05:50 30/7/2008)
                  filecore (09:14 30/7/2008)
                    Phlamethrower (11:09 30/7/2008)
                      filecore (11:38 30/7/2008)
                        Phlamethrower (13:47 30/7/2008)
                          Phlamethrower (02:02 31/7/2008)
                            filecore (07:30 31/7/2008)
                            filecore (07:55 31/7/2008)
                              Symbiote (21:19 22/1/2014)
  Gulli (10:17 30/7/2008)
    Wrath (00:33 11/8/2008)
      filecore (15:00 17/9/2009)

Owain Cole (VotI) Message #107910, posted by owaincole at 13:20, 28/7/2008
AA refugee
Hi All,
Long time no hear. Anyway, I've got my RiscPC infront of me, and the wife says it has to go. However does anybody want to take it off my hands? It's got the source code for all of the games I wrote, SubBurst, MICE etc. And all manner of other stuff on it. I'm in Malmesbury, Wiltshire.

Alternativly I was considering attaching the HD to a PC and slurping the files using LINUX. Somebody said it could be done. Anybody got any experience?

Owain
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Owain Cole (VotI) Message #107911, posted by owaincole at 13:22, 28/7/2008, in reply to message #107910
AA refugee
OH yeah, and you might want to e-mail me if you're interested. E-mail is owaincole@yyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyahoo.co.uk
Obvioulsy remove the extra ys wink
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Jason Togneri Message #107912, posted by filecore at 13:30, 28/7/2008, in reply to message #107910

Alternativly I was considering attaching the HD to a PC and slurping the files using LINUX. Somebody said it could be done. Anybody got any experience?
You can use traditional FTP, or you can try CTorrent, for other methods of transfer.

As far as reading an ADFS partition goes, I do believe it's possible. Try reading these:

http://www.adsb.co.uk/bbc/linux/
http://osdir.com/ml/linux.ports.arm.general/2002-11/msg00024.html
http://inputplus.co.uk/ralph/#adfs
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Adam Message #107915, posted by adamr at 21:02, 28/7/2008, in reply to message #107912

As far as reading an ADFS partition goes, I do believe it's possible. Try reading these:

http://www.adsb.co.uk/bbc/linux/
http://osdir.com/ml/linux.ports.arm.general/2002-11/msg00024.html
http://inputplus.co.uk/ralph/#adfs
And http://groups.google.co.uk/group/comp.sys.acorn.misc/browse_thread/thread/9c87fd2edf8204e3?hl=en
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Jason Togneri Message #107917, posted by filecore at 20:00, 29/7/2008, in reply to message #107915

And http://groups.google.co.uk/group/comp.sys.acorn.misc/browse_thread/thread/9c87fd2edf8204e3?hl=en
Hmm, I found that link just a little while after I posted my first few - it seems useful, but without much Linux knowledge in the relevant areas, I can't be very sure that I understand it.

Could some kind person maybe post idiot-proof, step-by-step Linux n00b guide on how to install/mount an ADFS module, and then attach, access, and copy off the data from an ADFS (RISC OS) formatted drive into, say, an archive?

It would certainly be a fantastic thing to have as a general resource, as this is a question that's asked on a fairly regular basis.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Jason Togneri Message #107918, posted by filecore at 20:14, 29/7/2008, in reply to message #107917

This, then, as far as I understand it, is the n00b's procedure. Linux afficionados feel free to modify and/or correct.

/sbin/modprobe -v adfs [to check what modules are present and install if necessary]

mount [to see what is mounted; for example, if hda and hdb are already in use, it means that hdc is free]

mkdir tmp_adfs
mount -t adfs /dev/hdc /tmp_adfs
chmod 777 /tmp_adfs [because, since we're not regular Linux users, we want the easiest access possible]
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Jeffrey Lee Message #107919, posted by Phlamethrower at 20:34, 29/7/2008, in reply to message #107918
PhlamethrowerHot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot stuff

This, then, as far as I understand it, is the n00b's procedure. Linux afficionados feel free to modify and/or correct.

/sbin/modprobe -v adfs [to check what modules are present and install if necessary]

mount [to see what is mounted; for example, if hda and hdb are already in use, it means that hdc is free]

mkdir tmp_adfs
mount -t adfs /dev/hdc /tmp_adfs
chmod 777 /tmp_adfs [because, since we're not regular Linux users, we want the easiest access possible]
That looks about right. However the single 'mount' isn't very useful, since it doesn't really tell you what device the ADFS disc is connected to (instead it just tells you some of the things that it isn't connected to).

Comparing the 'mount' result with 'ls /dev/hd*' should make it clearer what device it could be.

Also you may find that your hard discs are appearing as sda, sdb, etc. instead of hda, hdb, etc. 'sd' is apparently for SCSI/SATA, while 'hd' is for IDE. But that still doesn't stop the IDE drive in my linux box, connected to an IDE port on the motherboard, appearing as the sda device (Maybe there's an IDE -> SATA bridge on the motherboard, or Linux is just silly).
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Jeffrey Lee Message #107920, posted by Phlamethrower at 21:05, 29/7/2008, in reply to message #107919

I've just tried connecting my Iyonix's old hard disc to my (Ubuntu 8.04) Linux box, and it seems to work. However:

1. You'll need to use 'sudo' for most of the commands since they need root privileges
2. You can't chmod the folder once you've mounted it. I'm by no means a Linux expert, but it looks like the only way you can get non-root access to it is to add an entry to /etc/fstab.

[edit]

Here's how to mount it with the correct privileges:

id [To see what UID & GUID you are]
sudo mount -t adfs /dev/sdb /tmp_adfs -o uid=<uid>,gid=<gid> [Insert the UID & GUID numbers from the id output in the appropriate place! For the first user on an Ubuntu system these seem to both be 1000]
This page explains the mount options for the adfs filesystem (i.e. the comma-seperated bits after the '-o'). The mount 'man' page should also list the options.

[Edited by Phlamethrower at 21:20, 29/7/2008]

[Edited by Phlamethrower at 19:56, 31/7/2008]
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Jeffrey Lee Message #107921, posted by Phlamethrower at 21:34, 29/7/2008, in reply to message #107920

Also it might be because the hard disc I'm using to check this is corrupt, or because of a bug in the ADFS module when reading F+ format drives, but I'm getting segfaults when trying to look inside some of the folders on the disc.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

James Scholes Message #107922, posted by jymbob at 22:44, 29/7/2008, in reply to message #107920
I've just tried connecting my Iyonix's old hard disc to my (Ubuntu 8.10) Linux box, and it seems to work. However:

1. You'll need to use 'sudo' for most of the commands since they need root privileges
2. You can't chmod the folder once you've mounted it. I'm by no means a Linux expert, but it looks like the only way you can get non-root access to it is to add an entry to /etc/fstab.

[edit]

Here's how to mount it with the correct privileges:

id [To see what UID & GUID you are]
sudo mount -t adfs /dev/sdb /tmp_adfs -o uid=<uid>,gid=<gid> [Insert the UID & GUID numbers from the id output in the appropriate place! For the first user on an Ubuntu system these seem to both be 1000]
This page explains the mount options for the adfs filesystem (i.e. the comma-seperated bits after the '-o'). The mount 'man' page should also list the options.

As I happen to have two RiscPCs in bits next to my Ubuntu machine right now, I'll try to have a play tomorrow and post my reselts back here (and on IRC).
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Jason Togneri Message #107924, posted by filecore at 05:50, 30/7/2008, in reply to message #107922

As I happen to have two RiscPCs in bits next to my Ubuntu machine right now, I'll try to have a play tomorrow and post my reselts back here (and on IRC).
Thanks. A really, really basic n00b's guide to doing this step-by-step would be appreciated by many of us; anything you and Phlamethrower (and anyone else!) can add is going to be useful in the future smile
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Jason Togneri Message #107926, posted by filecore at 09:14, 30/7/2008, in reply to message #107924

How does this look so far? Suggestions/alterations please, it'll get prettied up later.

http://www.filecore.net/riscos/public/filetransferlinux.html
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Gunnlaugur Jonsson Message #107927, posted by Gulli at 10:17, 30/7/2008, in reply to message #107910
Hi All,
Long time no hear. Anyway, I've got my RiscPC infront of me, and the wife says it has to go. However does anybody want to take it off my hands? It's got the source code for all of the games I wrote, SubBurst, MICE etc. And all manner of other stuff on it. I'm in Malmesbury, Wiltshire.
How I would have loved getting my hands on all that source code when I was still involved with RISC OS! VOTI was in my opinion one of the biggest losses RISC OS suffered. I remember Nathan giving up at around the same time I did and I figured if VOTI are giving up - then there's little hope for me doing any good by staying.
I would have loved seeing that racing game you were working on when VOTI called it a day though.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Jeffrey Lee Message #107928, posted by Phlamethrower at 11:09, 30/7/2008, in reply to message #107926

How does this look so far? Suggestions/alterations please, it'll get prettied up later.

http://www.filecore.net/riscos/public/filetransferlinux.html
All that talk about mounting is a bit confusing (and inaccurate). Although I probably should have said that earlier.

Let's see what is mounted; for example, if sda is already in use, it means that sdb is probably free for your ADFS drive to be mounted into.
Entries in /dev/ are devices. If you have a hard disc, it will show up in /dev/ regardless of whether it's mounted for use as a filing system or not.

Note: steps 2-5 may not be necessary, if mounting the hard drive via USB; the OS should probably auto-detect/auto-mount the drive. Simply replace sdb in these examples with whatever your drive is detected as.
Steps 2-5 will be necessary; ADFS discs don't use standard DOS partition tables (although I'm not sure about instances where you do have multiple partitions on your drive), so Linux won't know what filesystem to mount it as, so it won't bother auto-mounting if you connect it via USB. A device will still appear in /dev/, of course.

Compare with the output from the sudo mount command (above).
You don't mention sudo mount above unhappy

Archiving is recommended to preserve the filetypes, if you're planning to import it into a RISC OS emulator.
I suspect archiving from within Linux won't preserve the RISC OS filetypes. I also don't remember seeing any filetypes indicated using the ',fff' notation that's sometimes used (although I may have just not been paying attention enough)

sudo unmount /dev/sdb
You need to unmount the mount point (i.e. /tmp_adfs), not the device. And this step isn't necessarily necessary, since Linux will unmount it for you (along with everything else) when you shutdown. If you've connected it via USB then unmounting it manually before unplugging it would probably be a good idea though.

Other things that spring to mind:

1. I didn't actually try making /tmp_adfs in the root folder like you do in your example. I suspect that most linux distros won't provide write access to the root folder, so changing the mount point to your home folder (~/tmp_adfs) would probably be a good idea.
2. These instructions can also probably be used to read/write ADFS floppies.
3. I can't be bothered taking apart my Linux box again to check further hard disc stuff, but I will have a play with the System Rescue CD (And an Ubuntu live/install CD) to see if they come with the right kernel module. If they've got the right stuff then I'll use them to check if floppy access can follow the same steps (since my Linux box doesn't have a floppy drive).

A good thing about the system rescuecd is that you'll have root access as default, so you won't have to bother with all the sudo's. A bad thing is that it won't mount any of your hard discs by default, so it's not necessarily a more user-friendly way of getting stuff off of an ADFS drive.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Jason Togneri Message #107929, posted by filecore at 11:38, 30/7/2008, in reply to message #107928

Changes have been taken onboard, as well as comments from IRC. Please refresh the page and see if it's any better now smile
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Jeffrey Lee Message #107930, posted by Phlamethrower at 13:47, 30/7/2008, in reply to message #107929

Yup, that looks better smile
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Jeffrey Lee Message #107932, posted by Phlamethrower at 02:02, 31/7/2008, in reply to message #107930

1. The system rescue CD doesn't come with the adfs kernel module, so you can't use that.
2. Ubuntu CD's do come with it, so you can use those.
3. I haven't been able to mount an F format floppy using the Ubuntu CD - according to this site there's a 512-byte sector limit in the Linux floppy driver, and ADFS D/E/F use 1024-byte sectors.
4. I notice you've added a note about !FCFS to the FAQ, for copying partitions around. I doubt any of the fancier Linux tools will allow you to manipulate ADFS partitions, but you can use 'dd' to create an image of the drive by reading straight from its entry in /dev/. But it's perhaps not for linux n00bs since screwing up the parameters can easily cause you to wipe your drive instead of copying data from it smile
5. Also although you won't need to enter a password to get root access on the ubuntu CD, you'll still need to use sudo (for root access for just one command) or 'sudo su' grant you root access for the rest of that terminal session.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Jason Togneri Message #107933, posted by filecore at 07:30, 31/7/2008, in reply to message #107932

1. The system rescue CD doesn't come with the adfs kernel module, so you can't use that.
2. Ubuntu CD's do come with it, so you can use those.
Updated.

3. I haven't been able to mount an F format floppy using the Ubuntu CD - according to this site there's a 512-byte sector limit in the Linux floppy driver, and ADFS D/E/F use 1024-byte sectors.
Not strictly under Ubuntu, but this guy appears to have had some success with F-formatted disks, and points you in the direction of this ADFS module for D/E/F disks.

4. I notice you've added a note about !FCFS to the FAQ, for copying partitions around. I doubt any of the fancier Linux tools will allow you to manipulate ADFS partitions, but you can use 'dd' to create an image of the drive by reading straight from its entry in /dev/. But it's perhaps not for linux n00bs since screwing up the parameters can easily cause you to wipe your drive instead of copying data from it smile
I made a note to that effect.

5. Also although you won't need to enter a password to get root access on the ubuntu CD, you'll still need to use sudo (for root access for just one command) or 'sudo su' grant you root access for the rest of that terminal session.
Excellent. Thanks for all the feedback! This will make a great resource for a long while into the future smile
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Jason Togneri Message #107934, posted by filecore at 07:55, 31/7/2008, in reply to message #107932

As far as filetype preservation and Chocky's ADFS module go, I haven't had much luck. I'm not sure if I can make use of anything on this page, although it does mention this magical filetype-preserving ADFS module, but doesn't link to it.

Update: before posting this, I trawled around a bit. I found a posting here which seems to indicate that Chocky has no idea where the module is, and apparently has no inclination to re-write it. Oh well.

Also:

Linux ADFS - When mounting an ADFS filesystem under Linux, the RISC OS filetypes are ignored. However, I did make a modification which allows the ,xxx extensions to be concatenated where appropriate. This can be handy when viewing the exported filesystem on a real RISC OS system. This change should be usable in the Iyonix Linux kernels.
From the bottom of this page. Again, no mention made of an individual module being available, or any further details, and I couldn't find any useful information on the Iyonix Linux site, but I suppose that's no great surprise.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Nathan Message #107998, posted by Wrath at 00:33, 11/8/2008, in reply to message #107927
How I would have loved getting my hands on all that source code when I was still involved with RISC OS! VOTI was in my opinion one of the biggest losses RISC OS suffered. I remember Nathan giving up at around the same time I did and I figured if VOTI are giving up - then there's little hope for me doing any good by staying.
I would have loved seeing that racing game you were working on when VOTI called it a day though.
Hi Gunnlaugur. Thanks for your kind words. I remember the time where we all agreed that there was no point carrying on. It was a hard decision and an end to a good part of my life. It's a pity RO never got over the money grabbers pulling it to pieces.

I happened to look at screenshots of EMD (Eat My Dust) recently and it instantly took me back.

Ah, well. My only regret was not getting SF 3000 3DO out while there was still "a market".
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Jason Togneri Message #111380, posted by filecore at 15:00, 17/9/2009, in reply to message #107998

Old thread, I know, but are you aware there's a new 'demo scene' on RISC OS? Mostly Finns armed with rpcs, sure enough, but they're porting and occasionally actually coding things. Strange but true.

http://www.iconbar.com/forums/viewthread.php?threadid=11167#comments in case you missed it.

[Edited by filecore at 15:00, 17/9/2009]
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Symbiote Whatever Message #122943, posted by Symbiote at 21:19, 22/1/2014, in reply to message #107934
I haven't tried it yet, but the modification to the Linux ADFS driver to add filetypes was added a few years ago: https://github.com/torvalds/linux/commit/da23ef0549d4205ca9b576cf6cce9a80d0c3e43a

If you're still around, perhaps you could update the page smile
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

The Icon Bar: General: My Risc PC contents of HD