Register new account
Forgot password
Forum stats
List of members
Search the forums

Advanced search
Recent discussions
- Archive Edition 27:2 reviewed (News:)
- WROCC May 2024 meeting - Gerph talks games (News:)
- Drag'n'Drop 13i3 edition reviewed (News:1)
- Wakefield Show 2024 in Pictures (News:5)
- April 2024 News Summary (News:2)
- RISC OS 5.30 arrives (News:2)
- Upgrading your RISC OS system to 5.30 (News:2)
- WROCC May 2024 meeting on wednesday - Gerph talks games (News:)
- uniprint upgraded to 4.50 (News:)
- PhotoDesk 3.23 released (News:)
Latest postings RSS Feeds
RSS 2.0 | 1.0 | 0.9
Atom 0.3
Misc RDF | CDF

View on Mastodon
@www.iconbar.com@rss-parrot.net
Site Search

Article archives
The Icon Bar: The Playpen: If ever you needed evidence of RISC OS user insanity

If ever you needed evidence of RISC OS user insanity
  nunfetishist (18:04 10/8/2009)
  filecore (18:39 10/8/2009)
    monkeyson2 (19:33 10/8/2009)
      bhtooefr (03:44 11/8/2009)
      nunfetishist (09:39 11/8/2009)
    Acornut (08:26 11/8/2009)
      filecore (09:29 11/8/2009)
        VincceH (09:44 11/8/2009)
          filecore (10:28 11/8/2009)
        bhtooefr (11:23 11/8/2009)
          filecore (14:44 11/8/2009)
          VincceH (15:16 11/8/2009)
            Lampi (15:42 11/8/2009)
              filecore (16:02 11/8/2009)
  sa110_mk (19:22 10/8/2009)

Rob Kendrick Message #110870, posted by nunfetishist at 18:04, 10/8/2009
nunfetishist
Today's phish is trout a la creme.

Then this is it: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=260443563328

Ouch. Ouch ouch ouch. Ouch. Why? WHY? FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, WHY? I hope the seller is racked with guilt of abusing such a naive punter. smile
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Jason Togneri Message #110871, posted by filecore at 18:39, 10/8/2009, in reply to message #110870

The question is, was there an out-of-control bidding war, or was this a buy-it-now option? Usually you can see this on the item page, but I'm at a loss as to navigating eBay's new Web Two Point Oh Dear interface.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Paul Stewart Message #110872, posted by sa110_mk at 19:22, 10/8/2009, in reply to message #110870
Wow, I can't believe it actually sold for that much!. It's been on there for a few weeks now. I think the asking price was much higher than that.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Phil Mellor Message #110873, posted by monkeyson2 at 19:33, 10/8/2009, in reply to message #110871
monkeyson2Please don't let them make me be a monkey butler

The question is, was there an out-of-control bidding war, or was this a buy-it-now option? Usually you can see this on the item page, but I'm at a loss as to navigating eBay's new Web Two Point Oh Dear interface.
It says its a private auction - maybe that's why?

Frankly, it looks like a bargain - TWO hard drives, an awesome modded case (the original RiscStation looked different, didn't it?), and it is built around PC components like IDE hard drives and PS2 keyboards. BRILLANT.

And it was owned by a programmer - this could be a CELEBRITY RiscStation.

Seriously though, maybe the buyer desperately needed a RiscStation to keep an old hardware project running (the EPOS project?) CJE don't seem to have any listed on their site. Is the RiscStation rare enough to be considered a collectable? Have we found the new Snappy the Crocodile?

Or... maybe they just seriously misread the description and thought it was a NEC RISCstation or thought they were getting 7500 of them or something.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Eric Rucker Message #110875, posted by bhtooefr at 03:44, 11/8/2009, in reply to message #110873
Here's the story, as I recall it.

Originally, it was listed as buy it now at 550 GBP, or best offer.

I decided it was worth about 55 GBP, so I placed an offer at 5.50 GBP. I know one person on one forum offered 6, and I think someone on Drobe offered 5. There was a fourth offer, no idea who it was from or how much it was for.

Then, it didn't sell after a month, so he relisted it at the same price. I offered 0.55 GBP. That was the only offer, IIRC.

After ANOTHER month, it was AGAIN relisted at the same price, at which point I offered 0.06 GBP. You can guess what happened. tongue

Finally, he listed it at 400 GBP without a best offer option, and then after a couple weeks or so, reduced it to 250 GBP, at which point some idiot actually clicked buy it now.

[Edited by bhtooefr at 03:45, 11/8/2009]
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Blind Moose Message #110876, posted by Acornut at 08:26, 11/8/2009, in reply to message #110871
Acornut No-eye-deer (No Idea)

... a loss as to navigating eBay's new Web ..
An eBay member can, click completed listings, Preferences (left side bar) more. Pukey

...I decided it was worth about 55 GBP...
As much as THAT!! laugh
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Jason Togneri Message #110877, posted by filecore at 09:29, 11/8/2009, in reply to message #110876

Is there any way to revert to the old eBay style? I don't like these new pages, and I've been a member since 2001 or so. I liked the old pages, I could see everything I needed to see without having to click a million additional tabs.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Rob Kendrick Message #110878, posted by nunfetishist at 09:39, 11/8/2009, in reply to message #110873
nunfetishist
Today's phish is trout a la creme.

Is the RiscStation rare enough to be considered a collectable?
Simtec still sell the motherboards, brand new, for about 50 quid. All you'd need is some ROMs to shove in it. (Or, if you were feeling naughty, ROM images to have the boot loader they ship with load).
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

VinceH Message #110879, posted by VincceH at 09:44, 11/8/2009, in reply to message #110877
VincceH
Lowering the tone since the dawn of time

Is there any way to revert to the old eBay style? I don't like these new pages, and I've been a member since 2001 or so. I liked the old pages, I could see everything I needed to see without having to click a million additional tabs.
Dunno. I don't know how long I've been using eBay - probably around the same time as you - but I long since stopped using it because they kept making the site crappier and crappier.

And I didn't like the way users so often approached feedback - it often seemed more like a commodity that was itself traded, which massively defeats the object.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Jason Togneri Message #110880, posted by filecore at 10:28, 11/8/2009, in reply to message #110879

I long since stopped using it because they kept making the site crappier and crappier.
The thing is, that's both true and untrue. I don't use it as much as I did in those early days, but you can still find some excellent stuff - I got some good parts for my terrarium at decent prices (better than local, certainly), and I've found some wonderful birthday presents. This year alone, I found a genuine, original copy of Life magazine from the actual day of my mother-in-law's birth. I also found a pulp sci-fi magazine from the month of my father's birth, and he's a big fan of sci-fi novels.

These were perfect and only about 10-15 USD each, with a similar amount for postage (and nowdays 30 USD really isn't that much money). Great gifts for people who already have everything else they'd need, and they also demonstrate thoughtfulness on the part of the giver.

And I didn't like the way users so often approached feedback - it often seemed more like a commodity that was itself traded, which massively defeats the object.
That's sometimes an issue but quite often not. As somebody who's consistently bought at least several items a year from eBay for almost a decade, it's always been fairly reasonable. But as in any system, you always get those few who abuse it for their own benefit - you have to look beyond that. If you read the stories closely, most of those who get cheated or defrauded (I'd say about 90%) tend to be greedy, impulsive, or utterly lacking in any sort of common sense when buying items. Check the seller's background, feedback (including looking for signs of feedback manipulation) and length of time on eBay. Sadly, "common" sense tends to not be so common anymore.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Eric Rucker Message #110882, posted by bhtooefr at 11:23, 11/8/2009, in reply to message #110877
No, but I rarely use the actual eBay pages other than to initially look at an item. I use jBidwatcher to manage my auctions. (And snipe them. Everyone's doing it, making it the only way to stay competitive.)

As for feedback, I don't like how they made it so sellers can only leave positive or no feedback at all. Of course, some people complain of people holding feedback hostage, but... once you leave positive feedback, there's no way to retaliate against a negative or neutral from the buyer. (Of course, I think that might be why sellers can't leave negative or neutral, so SOMEBODY can leave feedback without fear of retaliation.)

[Edited by bhtooefr at 11:29, 11/8/2009]
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Jason Togneri Message #110885, posted by filecore at 14:44, 11/8/2009, in reply to message #110882

Yep, jbidwatcher is a great tool, but I've won (and continue to win) many auctions without its aid. I suppose it helps that I run my own business and work from home, so I can linger on eBay during working hours without any fear of retribution. I use jbidwatcher only when I'm unable to be near the computer (at, say, 4am for USA auctions, etc) or when there's something I really really want. And since I use eBay mostly for silly trinkets and commercial Buy-It-Now options that are cheaper via eBay than locally, it's not really much of an issue.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

VinceH Message #110887, posted by VincceH at 15:16, 11/8/2009, in reply to message #110882
VincceH
Lowering the tone since the dawn of time

As for feedback, I don't like how they made it so sellers can only leave positive or no feedback at all. Of course, some people complain of people holding feedback hostage, but... once you leave positive feedback, there's no way to retaliate against a negative or neutral from the buyer. (Of course, I think that might be why sellers can't leave negative or neutral, so SOMEBODY can leave feedback without fear of retaliation.)
The solution could have been implemented right from the start.

Logically, a seller should leave feedback once he has been paid - in cleared funds, if necessary. And that's certainly when I used to leave feedback when selling. Any hassle obtaining payment should be reflected in that feedback.

The buyer should then leave feedback when he's received the goods - the feedback reflecting what was received; was it as described, were there any issues getting the seller to send it, etc.

That's the theory behind it - but the abuse was in sellers not leaving feedback until buyers had done, and then negging the buyer if the buyer negs them.

The solution: Do not REVEAL the feedback left, until both parties have left it. That way, people can't leave retaliatory feedback, and there is no incentive to hold the feedback hostage - and the feedback can only be used for what it's supposed to be used for.

Simples.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

James Lampard Message #110888, posted by Lampi at 15:42, 11/8/2009, in reply to message #110887
Lampi

From looking at the feedback I suspect the buyer is someone called "sneak76".

Maybe someone would like to send him a message as to why he would buy such a thing.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Jason Togneri Message #110889, posted by filecore at 16:02, 11/8/2009, in reply to message #110888

Two main things to beware of in feedback: 100% good feedback over 100 sales for a user who's only been online for six months - that's easy for the scammers to create using a circle of fake accounts. Check carefully.

A well-established seller with lots of recent negative feedback - this is often an attack on said seller. In both cases, look at the accounts of those leaving the feedback, and not just the content of the feedback. Good examples of this type of manipulation can be seen here and here, where a small group of malicious accounts (with low amounts of feedback themselves, mostly quite new, probably owned by the same person(s)) are trying to malign a genuine seller.

[Edited by filecore at 16:04, 11/8/2009]
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

The Icon Bar: The Playpen: If ever you needed evidence of RISC OS user insanity