Register new account
Forgot password
Forum stats
List of members
Search the forums

Advanced search
Recent discussions
- Archive Edition 27:2 reviewed (News:)
- WROCC May 2024 meeting - Gerph talks games (News:)
- Drag'n'Drop 13i3 edition reviewed (News:1)
- Wakefield Show 2024 in Pictures (News:5)
- April 2024 News Summary (News:2)
- RISC OS 5.30 arrives (News:2)
- Upgrading your RISC OS system to 5.30 (News:2)
- WROCC May 2024 meeting on wednesday - Gerph talks games (News:)
- uniprint upgraded to 4.50 (News:)
- PhotoDesk 3.23 released (News:)
Latest postings RSS Feeds
RSS 2.0 | 1.0 | 0.9
Atom 0.3
Misc RDF | CDF

View on Mastodon
@www.iconbar.com@rss-parrot.net
Site Search

Article archives
The Icon Bar: General: Changing the Acorn logo on the icon bar

Changing the Acorn logo on the icon bar
  ulaggy (20:11 10/10/2012)
  swirlythingy (23:55 10/10/2012)
    filecore (07:26 11/10/2012)
      Acornut (09:52 11/10/2012)
        filecore (10:55 11/10/2012)
    pwx (10:41 11/10/2012)
      swirlythingy (11:20 11/10/2012)
        pwx (11:26 11/10/2012)
    ulaggy (18:43 11/10/2012)
      swirlythingy (00:00 12/10/2012)
        ulaggy (08:30 12/10/2012)

Alun Millard Message #121172, posted by ulaggy at 20:11, 10/10/2012
Random question I know, but I've just bought an old A5000. I grew up with an Acorn Electron, then my folks got an A5000 then finally a RISC PC (with a PC card that never actually worked!). That all disappeared years ago, but I finally got around to getting an Acorn computer again, which has made me very happy!

So yeah, I remember you used to be able to change the Acorn logo in the bottom right corner. It's been so long since I've used an Acorn, I've forgotten how to do little things like that.

If anyone knows what I'm on about and remembers how to do it, I'd be eternally grateful smile
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Martin Bazley Message #121173, posted by swirlythingy at 23:55, 10/10/2012, in reply to message #121172

Er, change it to what, exactly?

In the simplest case, you could make a 34x34 sprite in Paint, call it "taskmanager", save the file somewhere and *IconSprites it. But I'm guessing you're thinking of something specific.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Jason Togneri Message #121175, posted by filecore at 07:26, 11/10/2012, in reply to message #121173

Er, change it to what, exactly? I'm guessing you're thinking of something specific.
There were a bunch of apps around at that era to do things to the Switcher, such as giving it blinking eyes and whatnot. I can have a rake around tonight if that's along the right lines.

I did used to make my own sprites for the HDD, FDD, CD, and Switcher icons though smile
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Blind Moose Message #121176, posted by Acornut at 09:52, 11/10/2012, in reply to message #121175
Acornut No-eye-deer (No Idea)

Not wishing to be pedantic,Kissy but as I know you are a keen scholar of English Grammar.
I did used to make my own sprites ...
!Note- The general rule is when there is did or didn't in the sentence, we say use to (without d) when there is no did or didn't in the sentence, we say used to (with d).
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Philip Webster Message #121179, posted by pwx at 10:41, 11/10/2012, in reply to message #121173

In the simplest case, you could make a 34x34 sprite in Paint, call it "taskmanager", save the file somewhere and *IconSprites it. But I'm guessing you're thinking of something specific.
I thought the image had to be called 'switcher'.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Jason Togneri Message #121182, posted by filecore at 10:55, 11/10/2012, in reply to message #121176

keen scholar of English Grammar
Well, clearly you're not, so perhaps it isn't your place to lecture others.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Martin Bazley Message #121183, posted by swirlythingy at 11:20, 11/10/2012, in reply to message #121179

I thought the image had to be called 'switcher'.
I thought that too, until I checked my ARMini's sprites. "taskmanager" and "switcher" were different images, and "taskmanager" was the one on the icon bar.

Of course, it may have changed since RISC OS 3.1.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Philip Webster Message #121184, posted by pwx at 11:26, 11/10/2012, in reply to message #121183
Of course, it may have changed since RISC OS 3.1.
It probably has. My most recent RISC OS is 3.7.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Alun Millard Message #121193, posted by ulaggy at 18:43, 11/10/2012, in reply to message #121173

I seem to recall having loads of sprites such as a Terminator style Acorn (it had black sunglasses on) and all that sort of thing. It was like rebranding the Menu button in Windows. Didn't serve a purpose other than was just personalisation.

So I would need to perhaps make a directory, stick in a sprite called taskmanager, save it and then what needs to go in the directory with it. It annoys me that I can't remember as I used to tinker around all the time, changing sprites for things.

Looking at other programs, there is an obey file, I think it is, and that has the line "IconSprites <Obey$Dir>.!Sprites" in it. It's similar to that, isn't it?

It's been about 15-16 years, at least, since I last used an Acorn, so I've forgotten a lot. Thanks for the replies Martin, and everyone else!

Er, change it to what, exactly? I'm guessing you're thinking of something specific.
There were a bunch of apps around at that era to do things to the Switcher, such as giving it blinking eyes and whatnot. I can have a rake around tonight if that's along the right lines.

I did used to make my own sprites for the HDD, FDD, CD, and Switcher icons though smile
I think that's the right kinda lines that I'm thinking of.

[Edited by ulaggy at 18:44, 11/10/2012]
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Martin Bazley Message #121197, posted by swirlythingy at 00:00, 12/10/2012, in reply to message #121193

So I would need to perhaps make a directory, stick in a sprite called taskmanager, save it and then what needs to go in the directory with it.
No, no, sprite files can have more than one actual sprite in them. If you start up Paint and click the icon bar icon, it'll create a new blank sprite file and also open the window to create a new sprite (inside that same sprite file), probably called "newsprite". The sprite should be named "taskmanager" (or "switcher", depending on whether my dodgy advice is accurate or not), and the sprite file can be saved anywhere you like. Then, from the command line (press F12), type IconSprites (filename), press Return twice, and you should see your sprite in the bottom right.

Then if you want it to be permanent, you can insert the IconSprites command somewhere in your !Boot file (assuming you're not using New Boot; if you are, it's more complicated).

HTH
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Alun Millard Message #121198, posted by ulaggy at 08:30, 12/10/2012, in reply to message #121197
So I would need to perhaps make a directory, stick in a sprite called taskmanager, save it and then what needs to go in the directory with it.
No, no, sprite files can have more than one actual sprite in them. If you start up Paint and click the icon bar icon, it'll create a new blank sprite file and also open the window to create a new sprite (inside that same sprite file), probably called "newsprite". The sprite should be named "taskmanager" (or "switcher", depending on whether my dodgy advice is accurate or not), and the sprite file can be saved anywhere you like. Then, from the command line (press F12), type IconSprites (filename), press Return twice, and you should see your sprite in the bottom right.

Then if you want it to be permanent, you can insert the IconSprites command somewhere in your !Boot file (assuming you're not using New Boot; if you are, it's more complicated).

HTH
Tested in an emulator and it worked (with Switcher - although was RPC emulator) so will test it on the actual A5000 later today. Thanks for the help!
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

The Icon Bar: General: Changing the Acorn logo on the icon bar