Register new account
Forgot password
Forum stats
List of members
Search the forums

Advanced search
Recent discussions
- Archive Edition 27:2 reviewed (News:)
- WROCC May 2024 meeting - Gerph talks games (News:)
- Drag'n'Drop 13i3 edition reviewed (News:1)
- Wakefield Show 2024 in Pictures (News:5)
- April 2024 News Summary (News:2)
- RISC OS 5.30 arrives (News:2)
- Upgrading your RISC OS system to 5.30 (News:2)
- WROCC May 2024 meeting on wednesday - Gerph talks games (News:)
- uniprint upgraded to 4.50 (News:)
- PhotoDesk 3.23 released (News:)
Latest postings RSS Feeds
RSS 2.0 | 1.0 | 0.9
Atom 0.3
Misc RDF | CDF

View on Mastodon
@www.iconbar.com@rss-parrot.net
Site Search

Article archives
The Icon Bar: General: Upgrading SharedCLibrary

Upgrading SharedCLibrary
  swirlythingy (22:05 14/2/2013)
  nunfetishist (22:32 14/2/2013)
    arawnsley (11:33 15/2/2013)

Martin Bazley Message #121911, posted by swirlythingy at 22:05, 14/2/2013

I'm sure this has been covered somewhere before, but...

Is there an official procedure to be followed when the ROM version of SharedCLibrary is ancient and you want a softloaded one to take precedence?

I assumed that dumping the newer one in System and waiting for any applications which specifically required a version newer than the ROM one to RMEnsure and RMLoad it as they're supposed to would be sufficient, but not if the "Shared C Library is out of date" error I get every bootup is anything to go by. (Unplugging the ROM one was even more disastrous.)

Matters are complicated by the fact that, AIUI, the C library really needs to be loaded as early as possible to minimise conflicts with running applications.

For the moment I've hacked BootRun to forcibly load it right after System$Path is set up, but that can't be the intended solution, right?
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Rob Kendrick Message #121912, posted by nunfetishist at 22:32, 14/2/2013, in reply to message #121911
nunfetishist
Today's phish is trout a la creme.

You should just be able to load it, perhaps somewhere in PreDesk. Any applications already running that use it will still be linked to the one in ROM and should continue to run using it.

You can only override the ROM one once, however, otherwise things get "exciting".
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Andrew Rawnsley Message #121917, posted by arawnsley at 11:33, 15/2/2013, in reply to message #121912
R-Comp chap
From experience, it may be best to make it !!Clib in predesk, as I had issues a couple of weeks ago just placing it in predesk, as other software in there complained. Ensuring it ran first fixed the problems.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

The Icon Bar: General: Upgrading SharedCLibrary