User accounts
Register new account
Forgot password
Forum stats
List of members
Search the forums

Advanced search
Recent discussions
- R-Comp reveals N.Ex.T Boxes - the successor to the i.MX6 (News:)
- RISCOSbits at Wakefield Show 2024 (News:)
- R-Comp releases Genealogy v2 (News:)
- Will we see 5.30 released at Wakefield show? (News:1)
- Sine Nomine updates RiscOSM and Impact (News:)
- Netfetch version 5.55 released (News:)
- Prizes for Wakefield Show announced (News:)
- Heretic update from R-Comp (News:)
- Wakefield Show 2024 is next Saturday (News:)
- Git client updated to 0.07 (News:2)
Latest postings RSS Feeds
RSS 2.0 | 1.0 | 0.9
Atom 0.3
Misc RDF | CDF

View on Mastodon
@www.iconbar.com@rss-parrot.net
Site Search

Article archives
The Icon Bar: General: One step forward, twenty seven steps back

One step forward, twenty seven steps back
  VincceH (15:49 27/2/2014)
  richw (16:28 27/2/2014)
    VincceH (17:08 27/2/2014)
    apdl (18:46 27/2/2014)
      VincceH (19:19 27/2/2014)
        flibble (11:29 28/2/2014)
          VincceH (12:01 28/2/2014)
            VincceH (15:07 28/2/2014)
              helpful (18:17 28/2/2014)
                VincceH (12:19 2/3/2014)

VinceH Message #123080, posted by VincceH at 15:49, 27/2/2014
VincceH
Lowering the tone since the dawn of time

Having spent ages getting VRPCSESATLAETCWTF running reliably, and configured how I wanted it on Windows 7 (which included not having UAC set to "useless" as advised on the VirtualAcorn website), all of which was part of the lead-up to that final stab at getting the old games running, etc, on a machine that can run them, specifically thinking ahead to the show this Saturday...

...the laptop died.

Annoyingly, I knew its demise was nigh, and should have already got my arse in gear and sorted out a suitable replacement.

I didn't though, did I? I let the blasted thing die, then had to buy a replacement in a hurry - not just for the show, but also for my 'proper' work - which meant going to the local Currys and getting one from there, without the option to upgrade from Windows 8 to Windows 7.

(What I've got doesn't seem to be a too bad bit of hardware, though I could probably have paid less for it if I'd not waited until I needed it urgently - but, ugh, Windows 8.1! It's not as bad as Windows 8not.1, but still. Grr!)

And as for VRPC? I haven't (yet) got it running at all. I thought I'd cracked it when it finally gave me the code needed to send to Aaron to get an unlock code, but having done that I can't get any further with it.

So I decided to get RPCEmu. It took a couple of attempts to get it working (not helped by Windows 8 hiding files, which it seems to be even worse than previous versions of Widows for doing) and now it is, but...

...of course, it's running RISC OS 5.20, so it's running in 32-bit mode, which means the games don't bloody well work again! Gah!

I suspect, given time, I could get VRPCSESATLAETCWTF running - and/or get RPCEmu running an older OS in 26-bit mode.

But I'm too cheesed off with it all now. unhappy
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Richard Walker Message #123081, posted by richw at 16:28, 27/2/2014, in reply to message #123080
RPCEmu runs OS 3 or 4 without a fuss. Just need to borrow the rom and hostfs stuff from VRPC.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

VinceH Message #123082, posted by VincceH at 17:08, 27/2/2014, in reply to message #123081
VincceH

Just need to borrow the rom and hostfs stuff from VRPC.
I'd already thought of that, but when I tried it, on launching RPCEmu it complained "ROM Size larger than 8MB" or words to that effect, and because by that point I was already thoroughly peed off, I couldn't be bothered to investigate further.

That was pretty much the last straw (other than setting RPCEmu back to ROS5.20 and the ROOL disc image) before I commented here.

I really can't be bothered to look at it any further now: It's been a long couple of days fighting with Windows 8 to get the laptop to at least seem to behave as I want it, and even now I've only got some of my software installed on it - just enough to scrape by for work purposes.

As I said; nice piece of hardware, let down by Windows 8.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

David Holden Message #123083, posted by apdl at 18:46, 27/2/2014, in reply to message #123081
RPCEmu runs OS 3 or 4 without a fuss. Just need to borrow the rom and hostfs stuff from VRPC.
You can't use the ROMs from VRPC (either version) in RPCemu

Best option (and least hassle) if you want RO4 is the use the 'Virtually Free' CD or download from www.riscos.com. For all the other versions from Arthur to RO 3.71 the 'Classic ROMs' CD contains all the ROM images and disc builds as well as lots of other stuff.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

VinceH Message #123084, posted by VincceH at 19:19, 27/2/2014, in reply to message #123083
VincceH

You can't use the ROMs from VRPC (either version) in RPCemu
Glad I gave up at that point, then, instead of tearing my hair out trying to get that solution to work. smile

Best option (and least hassle) if you want RO4 is the use the 'Virtually Free' CD
Which I do have - I bought it from Paul Middleton at the South West show a number of years back.

I wonder where it is, though?

or download from www.riscos.com. For all the other versions from Arthur to RO 3.71 the 'Classic ROMs' CD contains all the ROM images and disc builds as well as lots of other stuff.
I think I also have that CD.

Somewhere.

However, neither matter. I've already come up with a much simpler solution.

I recently resurrected the XP laptop on which VRPCSESATLAETCWTF was installed prior to shifting it over to the Windows 7 laptop.

In fact, it was when I resurrected the machine that I shifted the software, because a family member was going to buy the laptop - but that fell through, leaving me with one spare XP laptop.

So there is nothing stopping me from removing it from the Windows 8 computer on which it _now_ resides, but doesn't run, and putting it back on the XP machine1.

I can then take that one to the show on Saturday.

And as far as the Windows 8 computer goes, RPCEmu can remain on that, running 5.20 - I can use that one for working on RISC OS when away from home, with VRPCSESATLAETCWTF on the XP box retained for using old stuff when the need arises.

Hopefully, I won't have to pester Aaron for another unlock code, because I should still have the codes for the XP computer. Codes? yes, I have (or had, and hopefully still have) two. See that footnote referenced above? It explains why...

1. Even that machine isn't without problems when it comes to VRPCSESATLAETCWTF, because of the braindead way they network hardware is configured in it. No network cable plugged in? The network adaptor is automatically disabled! Wireless networking switched off - which, IIRC, it does automatically if it isn't connected to a network? The wireless network adaptor is automatically disabled!
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Peter Howkins Message #123086, posted by flibble at 11:29, 28/2/2014, in reply to message #123084
flibble

Instructions, ROMS and hard disc contents for setting up 3.71 on windows.

http://www.4corn.co.uk/articles/rpcemu371win/
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

VinceH Message #123087, posted by VincceH at 12:01, 28/2/2014, in reply to message #123086
VincceH

Instructions, ROMS and hard disc contents for setting up 3.71 on windows.

http://www.4corn.co.uk/articles/rpcemu371win/
I can see that link is on the RPCEmu site, but do you honestly expect (an already extremely stressed out by that point) me to, you know, read instructions instead of just rush head first into doing things without thinking? wink

VRPCSESATLAETCWTF is now up and running on the XP laptop, anyway. So I think that means "sorted!"

Looking at the time, I suppose I could possibly get RPCEmu running on the new monster so I could run the software on that one as well.

(I'm staying tonight at the hotel to save rushing in the morning - but because it really is only an hour or so away, I don't need to rush today, although there are other things I'd like to get done. Perhaps I'll do those first, and see how the time goes.)
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

VinceH Message #123088, posted by VincceH at 15:07, 28/2/2014, in reply to message #123087
VincceH

Looking at the time, I suppose I could possibly get RPCEmu running on the new monster so I could run the software on that one as well.
Aaaaand breathe. Done.

So I have: Old RiscPC versions running on VRPCSESATLAETCWTF on an old XP laptop, the same versions running on RPCEmu on the Windows 8 laptop, and the slightly hacked to make them run on newer hardware versions on the Pi.

Now time for a shave and shower, sit down and do nothing for an hour, then load up the car and off I go.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Bryan Hogan Message #123089, posted by helpful at 18:17, 28/2/2014, in reply to message #123088
See you in the bar big smile
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

VinceH Message #123091, posted by VincceH at 12:19, 2/3/2014, in reply to message #123089
VincceH

See you in the bar smile
Saw you in the bar smile
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

The Icon Bar: General: One step forward, twenty seven steps back