User accounts
Register new account
Forgot password
Forum stats
List of members
Search the forums

Advanced search
Recent discussions
- Upgrading your RISC OS system to 5.30 (News:2)
- WROCC May 2024 meeting on wednesday - Gerph talks games (News:)
- Wakefield Show 2024 in Pictures (News:4)
- RISC OS 5.30 arrives (News:1)
- April 2024 News Summary (News:1)
- uniprint upgraded to 4.50 (News:)
- PhotoDesk 3.23 released (News:)
- R-Comp reveals N.Ex.T Boxes - the successor to the i.MX6 (News:)
- RISCOSbits at Wakefield Show 2024 (News:)
- R-Comp releases Genealogy v2 (News:)
Latest postings RSS Feeds
RSS 2.0 | 1.0 | 0.9
Atom 0.3
Misc RDF | CDF

View on Mastodon
@www.iconbar.com@rss-parrot.net
Site Search

Article archives
The Icon Bar: The Playpen: 10 dumbest things linux users say

10 dumbest things linux users say
  mfrissen (12:25 16/7/2002)
  [mentat] (12:35 16/7/2002)
    mfrissen (12:50 16/7/2002)
      [mentat] (13:00 16/7/2002)
        mfrissen (14:35 16/7/2002)
          [mentat] (12:03 22/7/2002)
      trevj (13:59 21/5/2010)
        Phlamethrower (14:07 21/5/2010)
          trevj (14:50 21/5/2010)
        trevj (19:41 21/5/2010)

Marco Frissen Message #16625, posted by mfrissen at 12:25, 16/7/2002
mfrissen

David Letterman style:

Top 10 List

#10 It works for me
Goody for you. I'm happy. Glad to know that it works for you. Now would you mind helping me PLEASE?

#9 RTFM
Yeah right. As if YOU read the manual(s). Have you ever tried to read that crap?

And if you are soooo smart then why not provide a solution to my question? You CAN'T can you ! Instead you wimp out and post that the user should do their homework. Wimp. Now that you are challenged with this you'll go read a manual or book and then post a reply. Who are you trying to impress?

#8 It's easy just do this ...
And then the user posts some really arcane series of procedures or language.

#7 Pay and I'll say
Since you didn't pay for this software then I won't tell you an answer.

This is a great philosophy for anyone interested in promoting capitalism and doesn't want others to help test the latest application. Better yet, pay me to beta test your crap and then I'll help YOU fix your lousy application.

#6 Linux is stable
ROTFLMAO.

Is that why there is a Kill App ? That must be when I go postal and want to obliterate my desktop. Right?

Yeah. Sure! It's sooo stable that you just apt-get the latest patch and then ... Or you download and install using the latest package.

#5 I've had X years of experience
I'm still laughing about number 6. However, if Evolution 1.0.8 was just released the other day then why does it matter that you have X years of experience? Unless you are one of the developers shut up and save my bandwidth.

#4 Linux is better than Windows XYZ
I don't know because I don't use Windows. And why do you know so much about Windows ? You don't USE it do you? I thought you said Linux was better then why are you using Windows?

#3 Just use google ...
Why do I need to use a search engine when you told me earlier to RTFM? Do you mean ALL of the answers are not in the manual? Now you've really confused me.

#2 Attacks on Linux means the attacker is a dumb, idiotic, dull, stupid lame user.
Well, maybe so but you are also stupid for wasting your time with a reply. Stupid is as stupid does. Or something like that ...

#1 Linux is stable.
I'm still laughing. Get real. Have you really ever *used* Linux? Thought not.

Here is my suggestion:
Reboot, do a filesystem check, reindex, and reorganize your thoughts ... cuz it ain't working for ya baby !
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

I don't have tourettes you're just a cun Message #16626, posted by [mentat] at 12:35, 16/7/2002, in reply to message #16625
[mentat]Fear is the mind-killer
Yikes! :o

#1 and #6 are the same. That's cheating, rather.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Marco Frissen Message #16630, posted by mfrissen at 12:50, 16/7/2002, in reply to message #16626
mfrissen

heck, I c&p-ed it from another site.. complain to them :) to be found through osnews.com :)
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

I don't have tourettes you're just a cun Message #16632, posted by [mentat] at 13:00, 16/7/2002, in reply to message #16630
heck, I c&p-ed it from another site...
Sounds painful!
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Marco Frissen Message #16637, posted by mfrissen at 14:35, 16/7/2002, in reply to message #16632
mfrissen

Sounds painful!
hurts like buggary, but worth it :)
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

I don't have tourettes you're just a cun Message #16794, posted by [mentat] at 12:03, 22/7/2002, in reply to message #16637
Capitalist tool Forbes tools up for Linux
Insurgents win glossy special report accolade

http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/4/26289.html

"Notorious and self-confessed capitalist tool Forbes* magazine has produced a Linux special report and - good heavens - it seems fair and positive. Not only that - the headlines and straplines on the intro page sound positively like an advertisement for Linux.

For example, "Now everyone can find what they want with a much wider range of possibilities than on PCs." Or, "There are more options for Web-browsing with Unix than with Windows. Better yet, they're good ones."

And all because:

http://www.forbes.com/2002/07/16/linuxintro.html

"According to Linux legend, a revered teacher and researcher told Linus Torvalds that he "would not get a high grade" for his creation. Thankfully for millions of devoted users and thousands of blue-chip customers, Torvalds went ahead with his development of the Linux operating system."
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Trevor Johnson Message #114504, posted by trevj at 13:59, 21/5/2010, in reply to message #16630
...#9 RTFM
Yeah right. As if YOU read the manual(s). Have you ever tried to read that crap?

And if you are soooo smart then why not provide a solution to my question? You CAN'T can you ! Instead you wimp out and
post that the user should do their homework. Wimp. Now that you are challenged with this you'll go read a manual or book and then post a reply. Who are you trying to impress?
Yikes! shock #1 and #6 are the same. That's cheating, rather.
heck, I c&p-ed it from another site.. complain to them smile to be found through osnews.com smile
And again... in the land of the BeagleBoards in the year 2010... "no, we will not do you homework." Not too surprising a response, really!
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Jeffrey Lee Message #114505, posted by Phlamethrower at 14:07, 21/5/2010, in reply to message #114504
PhlamethrowerHot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot stuff

How on earth did you even find this thread? Or have you been lurking here for over 8 years? shock
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Trevor Johnson Message #114506, posted by trevj at 14:50, 21/5/2010, in reply to message #114505
How on earth did you even find this thread?
Guess before clicking here!
Or have you been lurking here for over 8 years? shock
I was still in nappies in 2002, you know! But seriously, I was probably vaguely aware of TIB's existence back then, although not a regular reader and saw no reason to contribute. (Incidentally, do you know if the T-shirts are still available?)

At that time, my (parents') BBC micro was stowed in their loft and my RiscPC hiding under my bed, while I played Halo and Project Gotham Racing with my housemate on his XBox! (Although I do also remember him finding out his Walkman so we could load Swoop on a BBC I bought from the local free ads at some point around then.) I digress... anyway, just think of all that coding I could've been learning about instead! Drool Cheers!

[Edited by trevj at 14:52, 21/5/2010]
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Trevor Johnson Message #114510, posted by trevj at 19:41, 21/5/2010, in reply to message #114504
"no, we will not do you homework."
For anyone who's bored/curious, the thread continues... I hope S.S.Kendre works it out soon.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

The Icon Bar: The Playpen: 10 dumbest things linux users say