User accounts
Register new account
Forgot password
Forum stats
List of members
Search the forums

Advanced search
Recent discussions
- Upgrading your RISC OS system to 5.30 (News:2)
- WROCC May 2024 meeting on wednesday - Gerph talks games (News:)
- Wakefield Show 2024 in Pictures (News:4)
- RISC OS 5.30 arrives (News:1)
- April 2024 News Summary (News:1)
- uniprint upgraded to 4.50 (News:)
- PhotoDesk 3.23 released (News:)
- R-Comp reveals N.Ex.T Boxes - the successor to the i.MX6 (News:)
- RISCOSbits at Wakefield Show 2024 (News:)
- R-Comp releases Genealogy v2 (News:)
Latest postings RSS Feeds
RSS 2.0 | 1.0 | 0.9
Atom 0.3
Misc RDF | CDF

View on Mastodon
@www.iconbar.com@rss-parrot.net
Site Search

Article archives
The Icon Bar: The Playpen: Aldebaran and/or Exodus

Aldebaran and/or Exodus
  This is a long thread. Click here to view the threaded list.

Andrew Message #53166, posted by andrew at 10:21, 19/3/2004
HandbagHandbag Boi
Does anybody remember this game? It was on an Acorn Computing cover disc in 1993. Involved landing on multiple Zarch-like planets. Can't remember the publisher/
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Jason Togneri Message #53167, posted by filecore at 10:26, 19/3/2004, in reply to message #53166

Does anybody remember this game? It was on an Acorn Computing cover disc in 1993. Involved landing on multiple Zarch-like planets. Can't remember the publisher/
Yep, I remember it. Don't remember any details just now, but IIRC I still have it on my :rpc: somewhere. Does anyone remember another similar game called Guile? Involved hovering your way through caverns and sucking up crystals for power, again don't remember many details.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Mark Scholes Message #53169, posted by mavhc at 11:27, 19/3/2004, in reply to message #53166
Zarch crossed with Conquerer crossed with Elite

Never got anywhere in it though
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Jeffrey Lee Message #53172, posted by Phlamethrower at 11:54, 19/3/2004, in reply to message #53167
PhlamethrowerHot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot stuff

Yep, I remember it. Don't remember any details just now, but IIRC I still have it on my :rpc: somewhere.
I've got an archive of the Acorn Computing disc which it was on, so can give you a copy if you like. IIRC it was only a demo, and I don't think it works on my :rpc: :(

Does anyone remember another similar game called Guile? Involved hovering your way through caverns and sucking up crystals for power, again don't remember many details.
Yup, got the demo of that as well. And that one does work on my :rpc: :)
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Andrew Message #53174, posted by andrew at 12:28, 19/3/2004, in reply to message #53172
HandbagHandbag Boi
Yes Guile was released about the same time. I don't think I got the cover discs as I was a subscriber to the BBC Micro disk which was still going at the time.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Phil Mellor Message #53188, posted by monkeyson2 at 17:50, 19/3/2004, in reply to message #53174
monkeyson2Please don't let them make me be a monkey butler

Aldebaran... bought it because of the snazzy graphics, but the gameplay really didn't grab me. Fun for a few minutes, flying around Zarch style and shooting stuff, but spending all day anally collecting a bunch of resources so that a bunch of professors inconvieniently spread around can spend FOREVER making components of which you will NEVER build enough to make defensive or offensive projects that HARDLY DO ANYTHING towards the main goal of saving the sun and destroying the sucking asteroid and take longer to develop than they give back in saving the world. And all these projects were just text, so you'd go to the trouble of building them, then click on them, they'd disappear and like one useful percentage would change somewhere. I want explosions or whizzy graphics or something! Even so, the main game's graphics were cool, and I was hopelessly addicted to the built in space invaders arcade.

Guile, on the other hand, was just impossible from the start. Unless the aim of the game was to blow yourself up, in which case I was an expert.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Phil Mellor Message #53189, posted by monkeyson2 at 17:52, 19/3/2004, in reply to message #53188

And in case I'm sounding overly negative there, let me just point out that the games were great, it's just my game playing skills that are crap. :P
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Jason Togneri Message #53192, posted by filecore at 18:31, 19/3/2004, in reply to message #53188

I was hopelessly addicted to the built in space invaders arcade.
EXODUS :E now THAT was a fantastic game. I must play that again sometime (as soon as I have finished Starcraft... I'm on Terran level 8 or 10 or something - the first really hard mission against the other Terrans).

Guile, on the other hand, was just impossible from the start. Unless the aim of the game was to blow yourself up, in which case I was an expert.
Actually although I only ever had the demo of Guile, I got rather good at controlling the ship. I even managed to blow up a couple of enemy vessels and that bird that hovers over the water when you're on your way to the first waystation.

Sadly I once experimented with a cruise control so I wouldn't have to worry about falling to the ground; I couldn't work out how to variate the thrust (to lose or gain altitude) and was consequently stuck when the tunnel sloped downwards.

There was one hard bit with water with big waves, and lots of pointy rocks sticking out of the water and the ceiling... only once did I ever get through that, just to discover three hostile ships at the other end who blew me to bits. If I recall correctly, I never quite tired of the game, even when I discovered that the most fun thing to do was to turn round at the beginning and go outside of the cave complex, and watch radiation blow you up :)
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Andrew Message #53193, posted by andrew at 19:05, 19/3/2004, in reply to message #53192
HandbagHandbag Boi
Exodus was too difficult I found. I couldn't get used to travelling between planets to maintain them as riots were breaking out or being attacked - madness!
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Jason Togneri Message #53194, posted by filecore at 19:58, 19/3/2004, in reply to message #53193

Exodus was too difficult I found. I couldn't get used to travelling between planets to maintain them as riots were breaking out or being attacked - madness!
Wuss. It was a great game. I even almost finished it once.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

John Hoare Message #53195, posted by moss at 20:32, 19/3/2004, in reply to message #53194

I finished it on the easiest settings :P

(Civilisation and Might; didn't do money.)
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Jason Togneri Message #53196, posted by filecore at 22:25, 19/3/2004, in reply to message #53195

Ah *sageful nod* I tried it on medium setting. Twas a trifle difficult - still, choosing a larger galaxy is always a good plan. Try it on tiny and see how far you get. But I rather enjoyed the game.

:ironlord: tells a lie - I did finish it once! On medium! But only that once. Then I found the money cheat and started just messing around instead of playing for real. I don't remember it anymore, was a three-letter code you type on the map screen. WIM? MIG? LAP? Something like that.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Andrew Message #53198, posted by andrew at 12:01, 20/3/2004, in reply to message #53196
HandbagHandbag Boi
Don't think so -I completed TEK by sticking at it because it had the critical factor of allowing the player to think they'd achieved that bit more each time they'd play it. Exodus seemed to work against me. That said, I might go back to it armed with some of AA's hints&tips.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

John Hoare Message #53199, posted by moss at 14:16, 20/3/2004, in reply to message #53198

My method of winning - colonise a large volcano planet, where plutonium production is doubled - and then sell it to make lots of money. And build loads of army production units (10 of each type).

Oh, and sell your transporters to fund yourself originally - and when you're earning enough money, buy them again, and go colonise another planet :E

Oddly, I'm crap at games, but I somehow clicked with Exodus...
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Andrew Message #53213, posted by andrew at 12:35, 21/3/2004, in reply to message #53199
HandbagHandbag Boi
Me too but with TEK.
Useful tip I'll keep that in mind.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Phil Mellor Message #53215, posted by monkeyson2 at 13:45, 21/3/2004, in reply to message #53199

I tend to click with most mouse driven games. :E:P:|
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Jeffrey Lee Message #53226, posted by Phlamethrower at 23:12, 21/3/2004, in reply to message #53215

Actually although I only ever had the demo of Guile, I got rather good at controlling the ship. I even managed to blow up a couple of enemy vessels and that bird that hovers over the water when you're on your way to the first waystation.
Same here. I dunno how far I got in the demo, but it seemed pretty good despite the fiddly controls :)

Well if you treat your citizens properly you won't have to worry about riots :P

(Civilisation and Might; didn't do money.)
Same here :)

Although AA's forums seem to have climbed up their own arse, spewing errors as they go, and now claim that I don't exist :|

I tend to click with most mouse driven games. :E:P:|
Watch out, if the wind changes direction you'll get stuck like that! :o
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Andrew Message #53235, posted by andrew at 12:18, 22/3/2004, in reply to message #53226
HandbagHandbag Boi
The problem I had was I couldn't get back to the individual planets I'd colonised in time to do all the necessary maintenance before somebody attacked or the peepawl rebelled.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Jeffrey Lee Message #53239, posted by Phlamethrower at 13:18, 22/3/2004, in reply to message #53235

The problem I had was I couldn't get back to the individual planets I'd colonised in time to do all the necessary maintenance before somebody attacked or the peepawl rebelled.
Make sure that the laws and things are what humans want, throw festivals if the people are unhappy, and make sure you've got your ship filled with units ready to offload onto the planet as soon as you colonise it. Trying to colonise systems where there are lots of planets available is a good idea too, since it'll involve less running around.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Andrew Message #53267, posted by andrew at 22:51, 22/3/2004, in reply to message #53239
HandbagHandbag Boi
Right I've got a bit further than before and also I forgot that you could do most things without travelling just with a lot of mouse work.
One thing I've noticed is that a planet has to be maximally defended until you can move on to the next or else it's at risk of invasion. The worst thing is when you get ousted from a planet and suddenly they discover a new species or something and get a reward! What am I doing wrong?
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Jeffrey Lee Message #53269, posted by Phlamethrower at 23:19, 22/3/2004, in reply to message #53267

Umm, annoying a lot of people?

Try to keep a low profile, and if you're lucky you'll get left alone.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Andrew Message #53293, posted by andrew at 18:14, 23/3/2004, in reply to message #53269
HandbagHandbag Boi
Erm, not at all really. There just doesn't seem to be enough time to build up an invasion fleet to conquor inhabited worlds or uninhabited ones with a decent number of defence units whilst maintaining your own planets against possible threats. Whether I offend another Lord or not they still try to take over.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

mikael Message #101255, posted by starlord at 19:24, 11/4/2007, in reply to message #53188
Please help me then: I desperately need an ADF of this game and I would be greatfull if you could give me a hand as I don't know where to find it or purchase it.

The preservation of this game is at stake.

thanks for your advice.

regards.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

mikael Message #101256, posted by starlord at 19:26, 11/4/2007, in reply to message #53188
Please help me then: I desperately need an ADF of this game and I would be greatfull if you could give me a hand as I don't know where to find it or purchase it.

thanks for your advice.

regards.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Peter Howkins Message #101258, posted by flibble at 19:37, 11/4/2007, in reply to message #101256
flibble

If you can verify that you're the copyright holder of this, I can ADF the disc and send you a copy.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

mikael Message #101285, posted by starlord at 09:42, 12/4/2007, in reply to message #101258
Thanks, only the disk got down the plug along with my archimedes. Quite a time ago: all I seem to remember was a cool elite like gameplay and interface ( I always thought nothing could equal elite). There was a story of saving a planet or sun from incoming disaster (Can't remember for sure if it was an invasion or an asteroid). I used to play epic (ocean) on the PC at the same time. Last thing, the game was made by a team called the arcangels.

Besides, might you know any place (in case I didn't give you enough info) where I could purchase the disk? I didn't find ONE site where I could buy the bugger ( I especially went to a seemingly very big store where I intend to buy the technodream and nevryon CD, APDL, I think)

Thanks for your advice.

regards.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Michael Drake Message #101286, posted by tlsa at 10:21, 12/4/2007, in reply to message #101285

Liquid Silicon sell it:

http://acorn.cybervillage.co.uk/liquid/games.htm

http://acorn.cybervillage.co.uk/liquid/bargs.htm
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Andrew Message #101295, posted by andrew at 12:58, 12/4/2007, in reply to message #101286
HandbagHandbag Boi
Guile is on Acorn Preservation and I only recently played that. It is very difficult. Surely Alderbaran is on one of the AU CD's? Might have a look at some point.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

mikael Message #101310, posted by starlord at 19:47, 12/4/2007, in reply to message #101295
What? That expensive when the technodream CD is 6 pounds? I'm sorry, I'm not paying for that game again! Could someone give me an ADF?

Andrew, you mentioned acorn preservation and AU CDs, what are they?
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Jason Togneri Message #101312, posted by filecore at 20:23, 12/4/2007, in reply to message #53293

Whether I offend another Lord or not they still try to take over.
As I recall, there was a pattern to the lords which I eventually learned (and have since forgotten). Some of them could be trusted, pretty much regardless, and some of them were extremely unreliable. This was a consistent thing, I guess it must have been hard-coded in. Exodus was a good game, I should play it again sometime big smile
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Pages (3): 1 > >|

The Icon Bar: The Playpen: Aldebaran and/or Exodus