User accounts
Register new account
Forgot password
Forum stats
List of members
Search the forums

Advanced search
Recent discussions
- Upgrading your RISC OS system to 5.30 (News:2)
- WROCC May 2024 meeting on wednesday - Gerph talks games (News:)
- Wakefield Show 2024 in Pictures (News:4)
- RISC OS 5.30 arrives (News:1)
- April 2024 News Summary (News:1)
- uniprint upgraded to 4.50 (News:)
- PhotoDesk 3.23 released (News:)
- R-Comp reveals N.Ex.T Boxes - the successor to the i.MX6 (News:)
- RISCOSbits at Wakefield Show 2024 (News:)
- R-Comp releases Genealogy v2 (News:)
Latest postings RSS Feeds
RSS 2.0 | 1.0 | 0.9
Atom 0.3
Misc RDF | CDF

View on Mastodon
@www.iconbar.com@rss-parrot.net
Site Search

Article archives
The Icon Bar: The Playpen: Somebody stop me, I'm thinking [with crap pics]

Somebody stop me, I'm thinking [with crap pics]
  This is a long thread. Click here to view the threaded list.

Jeffrey Lee Message #62847, posted by Phlamethrower at 11:28, 4/3/2005
PhlamethrowerHot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot stuff

I like GTA. I like NetHack. I like dystopian game settings.

What if someone was to combine all three?

What if that someone was (yes, you guessed it,) me?

A fractal algorithm to create a seamless, planet-sized game world, featuring both cities and open countryside, with GTA-style local-level gameplay set against a greater goal of breaking free from some form of opressive regime.

*goes off to google for "fractal city generator"*
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Phil Mellor Message #62849, posted by monkeyson2 at 11:49, 4/3/2005, in reply to message #62847
monkeyson2Please don't let them make me be a monkey butler

A fractal algorithm to create a seamless, planet-sized game world, featuring both cities and open countryside, with GTA-style local-level gameplay set against a greater goal of breaking free from some form of opressive regime.
...and you're invisible. In space!
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Jeffrey Lee Message #62850, posted by Phlamethrower at 12:16, 4/3/2005, in reply to message #62849

...and you're invisible. In space!
During an eclipse!

This is nice :)
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Phil Mellor Message #62851, posted by monkeyson2 at 12:41, 4/3/2005, in reply to message #62850

This is nice :)
Yes.

(But I've only looked at the pictures ;))
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Jeffrey Lee Message #62852, posted by Phlamethrower at 12:54, 4/3/2005, in reply to message #62851

Tsk :P

But "Yay!" for Perlin noise :)
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Jeffrey Lee Message #62882, posted by Phlamethrower at 20:39, 4/3/2005, in reply to message #62852

:o

Hmm, something is wrong with the colour map :(

[Edited by Phlamethrower at 20:40, 4/3/2005]
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Jeffrey Lee Message #62886, posted by Phlamethrower at 23:36, 4/3/2005, in reply to message #62882

Coding a fractal quadtree with neighbour pointers is fun!

/me waits while it builds a test image
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Jeffrey Lee Message #62887, posted by Phlamethrower at 23:41, 4/3/2005, in reply to message #62886

My error calculations have errors in them :cry:
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Antony Sidwell Message #62888, posted by ajps at 23:42, 4/3/2005, in reply to message #62847
The newsgroup rec.games.roguelike.development quite often discusses random world creation - I believe there was quite an involved discussion about creating vast realistic random worlds a year or so ago. In fact, they've discuss most forms of randomly-generated gameplay at one time or another. Don't know if it'd be any use to you, mind.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Jeffrey Lee Message #62889, posted by Phlamethrower at 23:51, 4/3/2005, in reply to message #62888

The newsgroup rec.games.roguelike.development quite often discusses random world creation - I believe there was quite an involved discussion about creating vast realistic random worlds a year or so ago. In fact, they've discuss most forms of randomly-generated gameplay at one time or another. Don't know if it'd be any use to you, mind.
Thanks for the info - I'll remember to take a look at that later. But for now I have an infinite loop and an abort on data transfer to fix :|
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Jeffrey Lee Message #62890, posted by Phlamethrower at 23:57, 4/3/2005, in reply to message #62889

Ah, a typo in the neighbour linking code. Linked lists are evil!
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Jeffrey Lee Message #62891, posted by Phlamethrower at 00:02, 5/3/2005, in reply to message #62890

That wasn't quite what I had in mind...
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Jeffrey Lee Message #62892, posted by Phlamethrower at 01:19, 5/3/2005, in reply to message #62891

Now to just rewrite it all again because I decided I don't like the quadtree approach :P

[Edited by Phlamethrower at 01:19, 5/3/2005]
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Adrian Lees Message #62893, posted by adrianl at 01:46, 5/3/2005, in reply to message #62892
Now to just rewrite it all again because I decided I don't like the quadtree approach :P

No, no, no. It's Saturday 5th March now.... you must start a new project for today :P
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Jeffrey Lee Message #62894, posted by Phlamethrower at 01:56, 5/3/2005, in reply to message #62893

No, no, no. It's Saturday 5th March now.... you must start a new project for today :P
aw :(

*goes back to drawing board*
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Jeffrey Lee Message #62970, posted by Phlamethrower at 03:00, 7/3/2005, in reply to message #62888

Can't find any obvious threads about it :(

The basic premise of the game will be GTA + near-infinite size world + vague storyline. It'll be a top-down semi-3D arcadey affair like GTA 1&2, so the only real points it shares with a roguelike are the random world and vague storyline. Current status is that I've rewritten my perlin noise generator so it doesn't hog memory, and am in the process of rewriting it again (:P) to get lots of speed out of it. I have a rough plan on how the world generation will work, but ensureing the roads and rivers are in sensible places could be tricky. At the moment though I'm aiming towards a desert wasteland setting, so there won't be many rivers and there will be few obstacles for the roads to avoid.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Antony Sidwell Message #62994, posted by ajps at 19:04, 7/3/2005, in reply to message #62970
Can't find any obvious threads about it :(
Hmm, no, nor can I. I can distinctly remember some, but maybe they didn't come to any useful conclusions. I can't even find anything substantial at http://www.roguelikedevelopment.org/php/category/showCategory.php?path=development/&category=MAP
(which should really have nicer URLs), which is where a lot of the good posts end up. Ah well, sorry to have misled you.

The basic premise of the game will be GTA + near-infinite size world + vague storyline. It'll be a top-down semi-3D arcadey affair like GTA 1&2, so the only real points it shares with a roguelike are the random world and vague storyline.
Yeah, it didn't sound very roguelike but the threads I thought I remembered sounded useful to any random world stuff. There's definitely some random plot stuff, quite recently, but you probably don't need anything that complicated if you're going for a GTA-type storyline.

Current status is that I've rewritten my perlin noise generator so it doesn't hog memory, and am in the process of rewriting it again (:P) to get lots of speed out of it. I have a rough plan on how the world generation will work, but ensureing the roads and rivers are in sensible places could be tricky. At the moment though I'm aiming towards a desert wasteland setting, so there won't be many rivers and there will be few obstacles for the roads to avoid.
Sensible choice. Rivers are just painful, especially if you don't want to generate all of your near-infinite world at once. :)
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Jeffrey Lee Message #62997, posted by Phlamethrower at 19:46, 7/3/2005, in reply to message #62994

(which should really have nicer URLs)
Especially considering what the forum just tried doing to it :o

There's definitely some random plot stuff, quite recently, but you probably don't need anything that complicated if you're going for a GTA-type storyline.
Probably not. I've been having some ideas for the gameplay, and there hasn't been much storyline appearing ;)

At the moment I'm aiming for a cyberpunk world on the verge of social/economic/environmental collapse, which gets pushed over the edge by a nice friendly nuclear war. You're near one of the bombs when it goes off, and don't really want to hang around to get eaten alive by the hoardes of mutants (of course), or killed off by radiation poisoning. Or another nuke. Cue an epic trip cross-country to try and reach one of the last surviving mega-cities, which if you're lucky will be controlled by a friendly corporation who will let you live there. If not then you'll probably blow them the hell up and go look for somewhere else.

This means there'll be a few different NPC types in game:

* Refugee. They just want to get the hell away from where they are now, like you do. Some of them may be a desperate as you (car theft, murder, etc.), others may be more friendly. Others may just be waiting for the right opportunity.
* Mutant. Possibly infected by some killer virus, possibly mutated by radiation, possibly infected by mutated killer virus, possibly all of the above. Exactly which doesn't really matter from the gameplay standpoint, all you need to know is that they like to eat people and to infect others with the virus. Some of the mutants will have enough higher brain functions left to use weapons and cars. To ensure the virus spreads quick enough to be a threat to the player wherever he is, there'll probably be an incubation period of several hours during which an infected person can continue to flee from his current location.
* Corporate police. These guys have the best guns, cars, and cybernetic implants. If their parent corporation is still alive then they will be a formidable enemy, but if they've been wiped out by the war then they should have little backup and be relatively easy to take care of.
* Tribes. These are groups of people who have decided that enough is enough, and they want to set up their own civilisation somewhere. Some will be friendly, others will want to kill you and take your posessions for themselves.
* Corporate assault drones. Some will have gone haywire and will attack everything they see, others will be incapacitated, others will still be in active duty and killing whoever their controller tells them to. You can probably incapacitate and reprogram some of them.

Vehicles will probably be a bit more complex than those in GTA. For a start they'll have fuel requirements (Which will be more of a concern when you're out in the desert), and will probably allow you to attach armor/weapons/etc. so you can use them as weapons. Similarly the player will be more complex than the average GTA guy - you can get radiation poisoning, you'll need to eat & sleep, and you can use a limited number of cybernetic implants. At the moment there probably won't be any form of character creation screen - there simply isn't enough diversity available in the possible character types that would have a significant effect on play style or your chances of survival.

The game is likely to start a day or two after the nuke hits the city that you're near/in. The explosion would have caused you to get buried under some rubble, so you'll have only just woken up/crawked out. Most of the population will have already left the city and only the mutants will be left. There'll be very few cars to steal and few supplies to use, so your first task will be getting enough stuff together to let you escape the city and travel somewhere else. Once you reach the next settlement you'll probably trigger an event such as a hostile tribe or some mutants arriving, which will force you to leave the area and go looking for somewhere else to stay. Basically you need to keep moving if you want to stay alive :)

The winning condition for the game will probably be that you've found somewhere nice to live which is free from any threats. Exactly how the game will judge this to be complete is undecided - e.g. it could be a mega-city controlled by a friendly corporation, or it could be after the antidote to the killer virus has been found and you're somewhere safe from hostile tribes. Alternatively you could obtain transportation off of the continent, or the whole world could have gone to hell and death is inevitable - the aim of the game is to see how long you can survive. A resourceful player could set up camp near a corp-controlled city, wait for the mutants to invade and infect everyone, then go in to collect supplies before moving on to somewhere else. However people might not like the notion of an unwinnable game, so I might make the world have a total population. The game will then be able to work out when you're the last man standing, and thus you'll have won the game - no matter how improbable it may be.

Hmm.

[Edited by Phlamethrower at 20:17, 7/3/2005]
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Richard Goodwin Message #63016, posted by rich at 09:39, 8/3/2005, in reply to message #62997
Rich
Dictator for life
An unwinnable game? Mathematically generated maps? NPCs with varying degrees of homicidalness? Sounds like one of the most popular games of all time.
________
RichGCheers,
Rich.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Jeffrey Lee Message #63017, posted by Phlamethrower at 09:44, 8/3/2005, in reply to message #63016

An unwinnable game?
Elite can be won - all you have to do is spend all day docked, or fly around and around in circles outside the station. You'll only die if you do something foolish like kill lots of people. However, I'm thinking of making a game where you will die, no matter what you do - it's just a question of how long you can survive. Unless you're good enough to survive forever, but unlike Elite that will require a lot of work.

And if you compare it to other games using just those 3 factors then you could say that it sounds like a lot of games ;)
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Richard Goodwin Message #63026, posted by rich at 12:25, 8/3/2005, in reply to message #63017
Rich
Dictator for life
An unwinnable game?
Elite can be won
No, it can't. You can make it to Elite status, but the game never, ever finishes - it goes on forever, with no perceptible difference to any other point in the game. To win a game, you need a victorious finishing point: a final battle or a place to move towards.*

So if you want an unwinnable game that isn't a continuation, you going to have to kill them off somehow, no matter what they do. The only way for you to make sure someone dies is a) kill them when they reach a certain point, in which case they've "won", as they've reached the end point of the game (the only difference is the tone of the end FMV/message), or b) put in a hard limit on the time spent playing, in which case what's the point of the game if you can't find a cure/safety/whatever? It's ultimately a pointless endeavour. You can't even say "I lasted longest", as it's a hard time limit. Speed players can move further, but it's an infinite landscape, plus it rewards players that don't get involved in anything other than moving foward. How are you going to convince me, as a consumer, that there's a point in me handing over my cash?

If you're making a super-large or even infinite world, surely that suits the never-ending version of an unwinnable game - you can reach the safety of the megacity, find a cure for whatever ails you, and then try your hand at being the cops, or a bounty hunter or something. Or go off and start your own civilisation, ala the TV show Jeremiah. Take over the megacity. Get bored, start a new civilisation... etc. Although, then we get in to the realms of a MMORPG... ;)

So, to sum up: continued existance isn't a win - it's a the status quo. It's the goals along the way that give us our little victories. Make my life worth living, dammit! :E

[* In the GTA games I notice that it is both winnable - in that there's a final mission that does what you'd expect WRT FMV, credits rolling etc. - but you can continue playing afterwards, so it's also unending. But Elite doesn't have anything like a final victory: you kill any random ship and you might get yet another "Right on Commander", and a change of text label, which makes it very much like all the hours that have gone before. So there!]
________
RichGCheers,
Rich.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Jeffrey Lee Message #63045, posted by Phlamethrower at 18:32, 8/3/2005, in reply to message #63026

it goes on forever, with no perceptible difference to any other point in the game.
...until you die. Since there's no real winning condition, the winning condition will form itself from the negation of the losing condition - so as long as you're alive you'll have won. It's more a psychological thing than a game thing. E.g. you can't "win" in sim city, but once your city reaches a certain size there's a 99.99% probability that nothing disasterous will happen to destroy it. Therefore, you have won, because your city is unkillable. You can continue playing if you want, or go start another city.

To win a game, you need a victorious finishing point: a final battle or a place to move towards.*
If the "last man standing on the entire planet" approach is taken, then there will undoubtedly be a final battle. You won't know whether you're going up against the last group of living people or not - you'll only know that unless you get some more food/fuel/etc. soon you won't last any longer.

So if you want an unwinnable game that isn't a continuation, you going to have to kill them off somehow, no matter what they do. The only way for you to make sure someone dies is a) kill them when they reach a certain point, in which case they've "won", as they've reached the end point of the game (the only difference is the tone of the end FMV/message), or b) put in a hard limit on the time spent playing, in which case what's the point of the game if you can't find a cure/safety/whatever? It's ultimately a pointless endeavour. You can't even say "I lasted longest", as it's a hard time limit. Speed players can move further, but it's an infinite landscape, plus it rewards players that don't get involved in anything other than moving foward. How are you going to convince me, as a consumer, that there's a point in me handing over my cash?
(a) It's free, so you don't have to pay for it
(b) I don't want an unwinnable game that isn't a continuation.
(c) I already said most of that in the sentences "However people might not like the notion of an unwinnable game, so I might make the world have a total population. The game will then be able to work out when you're the last man standing, and thus you'll have won the game - no matter how improbable it may be."
(d) :P

It's the goals along the way that give us our little victories.
See, even you agree that you can win at elite :P

Make my life worth living, dammit! :E
If everything goes right, the game will feature frantic battles with lots of enemies that will push you to your limits. The further you go into the game, the harder it will push you. This is what makes games fun :)

However I'm not entirely sure that spending hour after hour staring at a top-down view of a desert could be exciting. Either I'll have to try it in 3D (ack!) or make the settlements dense enough to remove the tedium of driving cross-country. Or make sure that whenever you go on a longer journey there's a group of people chasing you :)
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Jeffrey Lee Message #63047, posted by Phlamethrower at 19:12, 8/3/2005, in reply to message #63045

Hmm, perhaps I should just wait until June 10th. There's not much chance of something as ambitious as this being in a reasonably playable state before then.

...which means I'd better find something else to do :o

*trudges back to the Warioland thread, trying to think of an idea that won't be mutilated by his lack of artistic skills*

Unless of course I decide to dig up a much earlier idea. Such as a GTA-style cyberpunk thingy (Based around a dream I had, of course). Or a cyberpunk nethack. Or try and get GTA Quake into a healthier state, even though the engine limits mean it'll always be sucky.

Hmm, I'm beginning to see a pattern here.

Someone tell me what game to write! :P
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Phil Mellor Message #63054, posted by monkeyson2 at 21:04, 8/3/2005, in reply to message #63047

What happened to Dark Matter?
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Jeffrey Lee Message #63058, posted by Phlamethrower at 21:59, 8/3/2005, in reply to message #63054

What happened to Dark Matter?
It's still there, just progressing very slowly :|

Hmm, perhaps I should just scrap my big plans and bolt a game onto the engine that I have now. Although there's still the feeling that if I could get the design finished then the game would be capable of a lot more, even if I cut a few of the features. Hmm.

[edit]

In fact, most of the design so far has centered around the storyline, and not the gameplay. That could be why there's been little coding going on :|

[Edited by Phlamethrower at 22:01, 8/3/2005]
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Richard Goodwin Message #63059, posted by rich at 22:41, 8/3/2005, in reply to message #63045
Rich
Dictator for life
it goes on forever, with no perceptible difference to any other point in the game.
...until you die. Since there's no real winning condition, the winning condition will form itself from the negation of the losing condition - so as long as you're alive you'll have won.
So in your world, as soon as you've loaded the game, you've won? Because at the instant the game starts, you're still alive? Sorry, you have a very strange definition of winning. Sounds more like "haven't lost yet". Where's the sense of victory? Or do you relish life itself so much you cheer every plop as you go to toilet?
It's the goals along the way that give us our little victories.
See, even you agree that you can win at elite :P
battle != war

Elite did have missions that you could succeed in, giving some sense of victory - just not in the Electron version, which is what I had. We had to make our own fun in those days ;)

Make my life worth living, dammit! :E
If everything goes right, the game will feature frantic battles with lots of enemies that will push you to your limits. The further you go into the game, the harder it will push you. This is what makes games fun :)
Now that's more like it!
________
RichGCheers,
Rich.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Jeffrey Lee Message #63060, posted by Phlamethrower at 23:20, 8/3/2005, in reply to message #63059

Sounds more like "haven't lost yet".
Yes, that's the definition of winning that I used. Different people classify winning as different things - surely if you've got a fully upgraded ship, lots of cash, Elite status, and completed all the missions you'll have won the game? It obviously hasn't beaten you, so you can't have lost, and there's nothing left to do that will pose much of a problem to you.

Now that's more like it!
:)

The only problem with games like that is that you'll need something to hook the players onto it with, so that they have time to get used to how to deal with the seemingly never ending waves of enemies that attack them. Otherwise they'll just conclude that the game is too hard and go play something else :)
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Richard Goodwin Message #63082, posted by rich at 10:02, 9/3/2005, in reply to message #63060
Rich
Dictator for life
Sounds more like "haven't lost yet".
Yes, that's the definition of winning that I used. Different people classify winning as different things - surely if you've got a fully upgraded ship, lots of cash, Elite status, and completed all the missions you'll have won the game? It obviously hasn't beaten you, so you can't have lost, and there's nothing left to do that will pose much of a problem to you.
As I pointed out previously, just because the game hasn't beaten you, doesn't mean you've won - it hasn't beaten you the instant you load it. And without a marker point saying "This is the end. Well done and all that", you can't say you've won. I got the fully upgraded ship about 5% through the game, and there were no missions in the Electron version, so the mere changing of a status label is not that much different to the rest of the game: there was more of the same before the label changed, and more of the same afterwards (because despite what it might appear from some of my previous comments, I really, really liked that game, so I kept playing it). The game was, to all intents and purposes, infinite. But hey, if you want to live in cloud cuckoo land... ;)

The only problem with games like that is that you'll need something to hook the players onto it with, so that they have time to get used to how to deal with the seemingly never ending waves of enemies that attack them. Otherwise they'll just conclude that the game is too hard and go play something else :)
I'm thinking that you'd need supplies on route, so you could go quite far without having to interact with someone, but at some point you'd need to get hold of stuff. And the army has the best stuff. Sure, you can trade for food, perhaps forage for some items (including artifacts to trade with), but you'll come across mutants or giant bears and need kick-ass weapons. Seems that you'll need single or paired sentries and border guards that can be taken down with smaller weapons, which gives you access to some bigger weapons, which allows you to take on roadblocks, checkpoints, perhaps even garrisons and convoys. But ammo will be pretty scarce, so you can't waste it.

So it's not so much never-ending waves of enemies, it's the constant tough choices as to what you're willing to do to get the supplies you need.

Perhaps you could even have combat and legal status type stuff as part of the setup. If you kill kids to take candy, you might get a rep that means villagers won't come near you, making trading harder (but maybe soldiers will like you more?); if you kill soldiers then perhaps you'll have problems passing check points, or entering larger towns; and if you're a stone-cold killer, apart from adding to your strength/stamina/perception stats, perhaps you'll be asked to do bounty hunting or assassination missions...?
________
RichGCheers,
Rich.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Adrian Lees Message #63087, posted by adrianl at 10:38, 9/3/2005, in reply to message #63059
Elite did have missions that you could succeed in, giving some sense of victory - just not in the Electron version, which is what I had. We had to make our own fun in those days ;)
So the Electron really was the poor man's BBC - "The Electron version is exactly the same as the BBC version in every detail.....except the last two thirds of the game are missing, so you can't win!" :P

I never had Elite on my Electron.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Adrian Lees Message #63088, posted by adrianl at 10:42, 9/3/2005, in reply to message #63058
Hmm, perhaps I should just scrap my big plans and bolt a game onto the engine that I have now. Although there's still the feeling that if I could get the design finished then the game would be capable of a lot more, even if I cut a few of the features....
Make it a net game, so your server knows where all the players are, then you can build a bit of the world, and every time one of us gets close to the edge of the existing universe, you can add a bit more ;)

Like that 'simulated worlds' article in New Scientist a while back, where the super-intelligent ET adds another level of detail (cf quarks below atoms) as we start to probe a bit deeper, or gaze a bit farther into the distance; no point wasting computer/brain power trying to build it all upfront.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Pages (2): 1 > >|

The Icon Bar: The Playpen: Somebody stop me, I'm thinking [with crap pics]