User accounts
Register new account
Forgot password
Forum stats
List of members
Search the forums

Advanced search
Recent discussions
- WROCC May 2024 meeting on wednesday - Gerph talks games (News:)
- Upgrading your RISC OS system to 5.30 (News:1)
- Wakefield Show 2024 in Pictures (News:4)
- RISC OS 5.30 arrives (News:1)
- April 2024 News Summary (News:1)
- uniprint upgraded to 4.50 (News:)
- PhotoDesk 3.23 released (News:)
- R-Comp reveals N.Ex.T Boxes - the successor to the i.MX6 (News:)
- RISCOSbits at Wakefield Show 2024 (News:)
- R-Comp releases Genealogy v2 (News:)
Latest postings RSS Feeds
RSS 2.0 | 1.0 | 0.9
Atom 0.3
Misc RDF | CDF

View on Mastodon
@www.iconbar.com@rss-parrot.net
Site Search

Article archives
The Icon Bar: Games: TIB's NintendoDS Community Meeting Place Thing Doodah

TIB's NintendoDS Community Meeting Place Thing Doodah
  This is a long thread. Click here to view the threaded list.

Jeffrey Lee Message #102114, posted by Phlamethrower at 11:21, 10/5/2007, in reply to message #81335
PhlamethrowerHot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot stuff

http://kotaku.com/gaming/ds-x+treme/first-blush-with-the-ds-xtreme-208150.php

Woohoo!
http://dsquake.blogspot.com/ and http://quake.drunkencoders.com/ Drool
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

richard cheng Message #102246, posted by richcheng at 11:39, 17/5/2007, in reply to message #101064

Phoenix Wright is the BEST GAME EVER *

* possibly

*pokes all DS owners to get it, and all non-DS owners to get a DS and then get it*

I just ordered Phoenix Wright (from Tesco - much cheaper than Amazon)
Has it arrived yet? We need to convert the non-believers!
That would be a no.

Tescos emailed me yesterday to tell me my order had been delayed, again.

Methinks, given Monkeyson's comments above, the games advertised at under £20 on Tesco's site are just to suck you in to their twisted web of deceit, and they don't actually have any intention of selling them to you at that price.
Well, I hope you've learnt your lesson frown

Get a copy of Warioland 4 to pass the time tongue (Or the first Phoenix Wright game smile)
Yay!

Looks like I was wrong about Tescos's web of deceit. Or maybe it's just even more twisted than I had hitherto suspected.

I ordered Phoenix Wright (the first one) on March 19th, for ~£13. Since then, they've been sending me one or two emails a week telling me it was out of stock but that they were expecting it in a week.

I planned to cancel it, but I am lazy, and hadn't got round to it yet.

Then, this morning, it arrived! And it's Justice for All! Bargain! (Presuming they haven't sneakily changed my credit card charge, too.)

I know you said that they do a reminder so you don't need to play the first to understand the second, but the question is, if I play this one now, will it ruin the first one, if I want to go back to it later?
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Jeffrey Lee Message #102247, posted by Phlamethrower at 11:52, 17/5/2007, in reply to message #102246

Then, this morning, it arrived!
Yay!

And it's Justice for All! Bargain!
Yay!

I know you said that they do a reminder so you don't need to play the first to understand the second, but the question is, if I play this one now, will it ruin the first one, if I want to go back to it later?
I'm stuck 99.9% way through (what appears to be) the last part of Justice for All, so this may not be 100% certain. But as far as I can tell, no, it won't ruin your experience of the first one. A lot of the characters from the first one do make appearances in the second, but there aren't any massive spoilers about the court cases. You will find out something very important about one of the characters, but it's something you would have found out at the start of the 2nd court case in the first game anyway (i.e. at the start of the first real case following the tutorial one). Most of the fun of the games is in the humour and solving the puzzles, neither of which will get ruined if you play the 2nd one first.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

richard cheng Message #102249, posted by richcheng at 13:49, 17/5/2007, in reply to message #102247

I'm stuck 99.9% way through (what appears to be) the last part of Justice for All, so this may not be 100% certain. But as far as I can tell, no, it won't ruin your experience of the first one. A lot of the characters from the first one do make appearances in the second, but there aren't any massive spoilers about the court cases. You will find out something very important about one of the characters, but it's something you would have found out at the start of the 2nd court case in the first game anyway (i.e. at the start of the first real case following the tutorial one). Most of the fun of the games is in the humour and solving the puzzles, neither of which will get ruined if you play the 2nd one first.
Sweet! Then I shall play tonight! (Irritatingly, I looked at my recently-underused DS - which currently has a flat battery - this morning and thought, "Naah, I wouldn't play it today, anyway," and left it at home. Grrr Rage)
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Jeffrey Lee Message #102386, posted by Phlamethrower at 11:35, 23/5/2007, in reply to message #102249

Has moss got his DS, then?

We need to get together in Mario Kart and give him a Rainbow Road initiation ceremony/challenge, or something. Or just go and trash his town in Animal Crossing.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

John Hoare Message #102404, posted by moss at 08:01, 24/5/2007, in reply to message #102386

Has moss got his DS, then?

We need to get together in Mario Kart and give him a Rainbow Road initiation ceremony/challenge, or something. Or just go and trash his town in Animal Crossing.
As I said on NOTBBC, no. I need to do justice to my Wii at the moment, really.

I may well get a DS for Christmas, though. Although if Nintendo are planning to release another handheld next year, I may wait...
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Jeffrey Lee Message #102407, posted by Phlamethrower at 09:08, 24/5/2007, in reply to message #102404

I may well get a DS for Christmas, though.
Yay!

Although if Nintendo are planning to release another handheld next year, I may wait...
The DS is still selling strong, so there's no rush for them to release something new. It's better market sense for them to wait a while for sales to drop, then release a new handheld and watch as all their loyal fans buy everything over again wink
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Phil Mellor Message #102762, posted by monkeyson2 at 18:43, 7/6/2007, in reply to message #102407
monkeyson2Please don't let them make me be a monkey butler

Yaydoody!
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Jeffrey Lee Message #102763, posted by Phlamethrower at 19:20, 7/6/2007, in reply to message #102762

Woo!, I suppose.

I still remember doing brute-force attacks on some of the puzzles Crybaby
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Jeffrey Lee Message #103132, posted by Phlamethrower at 00:20, 21/6/2007, in reply to message #102249

Sweet! Then I shall play tonight! (Irritatingly, I looked at my recently-underused DS - which currently has a flat battery - this morning and thought, "Naah, I wouldn't play it today, anyway," and left it at home. Grrr Rage)
*turns on DS*

Ah, it's all so obvious now!

*time passes*

Yay, finished it.

So, how are you doing?
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Michael Drake Message #103133, posted by tlsa at 08:25, 21/6/2007, in reply to message #103132

Ankh sequel for the DS. smile

http://n-europe.com/news.php?nid=10644
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Jeffrey Lee Message #103140, posted by Phlamethrower at 00:49, 22/6/2007, in reply to message #103133

*turns on animal crossing*

Aw, they still aren't dead yet.

Although judging by the mess around here, they haven't exactly been busy keeping the place tidy, either frown
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Andrew Poole Message #103142, posted by andypoole at 19:30, 22/6/2007, in reply to message #103140
andypoole
Mouse enthusiast
Web
Twitter

Has anyone played this yet?

Trailer. Looks cool. Might buy it.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Jeffrey Lee Message #103144, posted by Phlamethrower at 19:43, 22/6/2007, in reply to message #103142

No.

However, it does look interesting.

Also, I found TWO four-leaf clovers this morning while de-weeding my town. So I guess there are some benefits to not playing for 2 months.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Andrew Poole Message #103145, posted by andypoole at 19:51, 22/6/2007, in reply to message #103144
andypoole
Mouse enthusiast
Web
Twitter

No.

However, it does look interesting.

Also, I found TWO four-leaf clovers this morning while de-weeding my town. So I guess there are some benefits to not playing for 2 months.
Heh, I've not played for longer than that. Perhaps I should have a looksee later on smile
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Jeffrey Lee Message #103225, posted by Phlamethrower at 11:01, 1/7/2007, in reply to message #103145

Yes, manly things, like how to spruce up your space with lace and flowers!
Filbert being manly, there. He seems to be a cross between Ribbot and Nibbles, seeing as he's a squirrel, and half his house is space-themed (like Ribbot's) and the other half is colourful (Like Nibbles'). I'd still rather have Ribbot or Nibbles back instead, though tongue

In other news, since I don't really have any other DS games to play at the moment, I'm going to try going for a Perfect Town rating. Yay!

[edit]

Also, my gates are open. SO THERE.

[Edited by Phlamethrower at 11:09, 1/7/2007]
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Jeffrey Lee Message #103229, posted by Phlamethrower at 14:17, 1/7/2007, in reply to message #103225

There's a rainbow in the sky shock

Haven't seen one of them before.

*goes hunting for any pots of gold, just in case*
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Jeffrey Lee Message #103635, posted by Phlamethrower at 18:49, 26/7/2007, in reply to message #103229

I am teh winninator!

I just drew a laughing man face on Blanca tongue

*opens his gates so his creation can spread out onto the 'net*

I still haven't got a perfect town, though unhappy
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Jeffrey Lee Message #103859, posted by Phlamethrower at 22:06, 10/8/2007, in reply to message #103635

Bah!

Wednesday: After seeing my 2nd ever scorpion (the first one having been seen about a year ago), I then got killed (again) while trying to catch it.
Thursday: A giant fish doesn't take my bait, and swims off. But I spot another scorpion, and after carefully navigating through a maze of trees and villagers... my net lands 0.05 pixels to the side and it kills me again.
Friday: Miss shooting down the UFO by 2 seconds because I started talking to someone just before it came on screen. No scorpions yet, but I did just catch a tarantula. [edit] And a giant fish just escaped again unhappy

Also, if anyone is wondering what a giant beetle looks like, I recently discovered that they look almost exactly like stag beetles.

[Edited by Phlamethrower at 22:08, 10/8/2007]
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Jeffrey Lee Message #103860, posted by Phlamethrower at 22:23, 10/8/2007, in reply to message #103859

I caught a scorpion!

But he didn't catch me!
Yay!

This is despite him being a sneaky git and appearing behind me.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Jeffrey Lee Message #104144, posted by Phlamethrower at 23:10, 26/8/2007, in reply to message #102068

ANNO 1701.
18th century Sim City plus strategic warfare plus pirate ships (I assume tongue) plus colourful graphics. Yay!
I have this now! It seems good so far. Certainly more to do with strategic city building/management than RTS warfare. The warfare itself is actually very simple - you don't get any direct control over moving units around the map. You just select a building (which your troops are stationed in), and select another building for them to attack (where the other building contains enemy troops). You then have some simple Advance Wars-ish combat graphics on the top screen showing the population of the two armies change as they fight each other.

But having said that, I haven't been in a real fight-for-your-life scenario yet, so there's no way of knowing whether this combat system is easier or harder than a standard RTS one.

The only thing to watch out for is that the manual is a bit thin on gameplay information (particularly different buildings), and in story mode there can sometimes be a lot of messages at once.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

richard cheng Message #104272, posted by richcheng at 15:01, 4/9/2007, in reply to message #103132

So, how are you doing?
I played through the tutorial case, decided the game was awesome, and then ran out of battery power.

And then, for some reason, put the DS away for several months. Just started it again this weekend. It's fantastic. Still only halfway through the second case, though. How many are there in total?

Also, my left shoulder button seems to be dying. Not such a biggy for Phoenix, obviously, but quite bad news for some other games, and fatal for Angband unhappy

Maybe I should upgrade to a Lite grin
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Jeffrey Lee Message #104273, posted by Phlamethrower at 15:12, 4/9/2007, in reply to message #104272

And then, for some reason, put the DS away for several months. Just started it again this weekend. It's fantastic. Still only halfway through the second case, though. How many are there in total?
Four. But each case will generally be 2-3 or so hours longer than its predecessor, so there's still plenty to play through.

And AFAIK the next Phoenix Wright is still on-track for a release this month. Yay!
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Chris Williams Message #104279, posted by diodesign at 22:15, 4/9/2007, in reply to message #104273
diodesign
The Opposition

I bought a DS Lite the other week or so, and I immediately snapped up Final Fantasy 3, More Brain Training, Mario Kart and Sonic Rush. Mario and Sonic were vastly disappointing, FF3 was/is good, MBT has been/is great.

Given that half the games I have so far suck, in my estimation, can anyone recommend any other titles? I just want a bit of arcade fun in my hands.

MTIA.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Andrew Poole Message #104280, posted by andypoole at 22:22, 4/9/2007, in reply to message #104279
andypoole
Mouse enthusiast
Web
Twitter

Well my complete collection so far is:

- Super Mario 64 DS - Basically the same as Mario 64 on the N64, but with touch-based controls

- Zoo Keeper - Cheap little match-the-symbols-by-swapping-cards game

- Mario Kart DS - Racing smile

- Sonic Rush - 2d sonic with tedious later levels that I never did finish

- DS Browser - not a game, really...

- Yoshi's Island DS - 2d platformer similar to the SNES Yoshi's Island, but all new levels

- New Super Mario Bros. - Like Super Mario but.. new..

- Animal Crossing - Cute addictive time consuming game smile

- Spectrobes - Involves a lot of digging, collecting, tuning of little creatures, etc.

- Tetris DS - Various tetris-style games

And I'm likely to get Zelda: Phantom Hourglass when that comes out.

Andy. Loves teh DS smile
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Jeffrey Lee Message #104281, posted by Phlamethrower at 22:37, 4/9/2007, in reply to message #104280

Mario Kart... suck? Madness!

I don't think I really have any games that constitute simple arcade fun. Meteos (a touch-based testrisy falling blocks puzzle game) is probably the closest, or maybe Super Monkey Ball if you can get used to the control/camera scheme. And I guess New Super Mario Bros., but apart from being easier than Super Mario Land 2 it didn't excite me much.

Worms Open Warfare 2 is meant to be out soon now, and from what I've heard is markably better than 1. Not that 1 was bad - but 2 is better, and could be worth getting if you don't own any recent Worms games. It even supports online play!

[Edited by Phlamethrower at 22:39, 4/9/2007]
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Chris Williams Message #104282, posted by diodesign at 22:39, 4/9/2007, in reply to message #104281
diodesign
The Opposition

Hm ok. Well maybe I'll stick to puzzle games and RPGs. I'm getting too old for these new video game thingies.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Phil Mellor Message #104283, posted by monkeyson2 at 22:47, 4/9/2007, in reply to message #104280
monkeyson2Please don't let them make me be a monkey butler

New Super Mario Bros - apparently rather fab if you're into traditional scrolling Mario games, but I find it a bit frustrating. (But I have the same problem with Mario 64 on the Wii virtual console, and pretty much every other Mario platformer I've tried to play.)

Mario Kart DS - much fun! What don't you like about it? The online mode isn't very entertaining (but I think all online games suck).

Electroplankton - interesting, but not quite as open and varied as I'd hoped. Best played drunk.

Meteos - like Tetris, but different. Got that 'just one more go' appeal. Recommended.

Contact - a thoroughly charming RPG - lots of witty references to gaming/geek/retro memes. The combat is a bit basic and repetitive - too much grinding - but worth it for the atmosphere.

Project Rub - bunch of simple minigames, but some are suprisingly fun. You get to touch virtual boobies.

Brain Training - brilliant.

Metroid Prime Hunters - very impressive 3D shooter, especially considering the hardware it's running on. Doesn't feel like a Metroid game, which disappointed me, because I'm not into FPS games - which is what this really is.

Animal Crossing - it took over my life. Very relaxing. Definitely recommended, especially if you have an odd five minutes you can play it each day.

I keep meaning to get Metroid Pinball (even though Nintendo Europe don't deserve any sales after they delayed it for 2 years) and Hotel Dusk (a pointy-clicky adventure/interactive novel with comic book art), and I'm really looking forward to the new Zelda.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Peter Howkins Message #104284, posted by flibble at 23:13, 4/9/2007, in reply to message #104283
flibble

I am a bad man.

http://www.r4ds.com/index-en.htm
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Jeffrey Lee Message #104285, posted by Phlamethrower at 23:17, 4/9/2007, in reply to message #104284

I am a bad man.

http://www.r4ds.com/index-en.htm
Only if you're suggesting that the cartridge gets used for playing illegal copies of games smile
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Pages (38): |< < 32 > >|

The Icon Bar: Games: TIB's NintendoDS Community Meeting Place Thing Doodah