User accounts
Register new account
Forgot password
Forum stats
List of members
Search the forums

Advanced search
Recent discussions
- R-Comp reveals N.Ex.T Boxes - the successor to the i.MX6 (News:)
- RISCOSbits at Wakefield Show 2024 (News:)
- R-Comp releases Genealogy v2 (News:)
- Will we see 5.30 released at Wakefield show? (News:1)
- Sine Nomine updates RiscOSM and Impact (News:)
- Netfetch version 5.55 released (News:)
- Prizes for Wakefield Show announced (News:)
- Heretic update from R-Comp (News:)
- Wakefield Show 2024 is next Saturday (News:)
- Git client updated to 0.07 (News:2)
Latest postings RSS Feeds
RSS 2.0 | 1.0 | 0.9
Atom 0.3
Misc RDF | CDF

View on Mastodon
@www.iconbar.com@rss-parrot.net
Site Search

Article archives
The Icon Bar: The Playpen: Over the summer V: Oh god not another Rocky movie

Over the summer V: Oh god not another Rocky movie
  This is a long thread. Click here to view the threaded list.

Jeffrey Lee Message #78964, posted by Phlamethrower at 20:32, 21/8/2006
PhlamethrowerHot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot stuff

(:monkey: says...)

3. Codeathons. One bloke in a shed for an hour a week is not going to finish anything. Look at Netsurf. It took a while, but it's a damn big and ambitious project. Nominate a project leader. Decide the month's job, eg. This month, we will write that Draw to SVG converter we all want. Get everybody to write it together. Coder of the month gets a pizza.
(and then...)

Well then, get nominating projects!
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Jeffrey Lee Message #78966, posted by Phlamethrower at 20:49, 21/8/2006, in reply to message #78964

Project #1: DeathDawn? Questionable how much stuff we'd be able to get done, and how much it would benefit the platform.

Project #2: Write some proper textarea code for netsurf

Project #3: Improve the movie playing capabilities of RISC OS

Project #4: My shortlist of unreleased short projects. The project auto-packager-uploader thingy, USB switchbox attention grabber, audio imbalance (semi) fixer, improved vnc_serv, telnet script executor, BASIC WOL script.

Project #5: Unless i'm mistaken, we're a bit short of (free) 32bit compatible emulators (Gameboy, SNES, speccy, etc. So, port/update/write one/some/all!

Project #6: Something useful like a spreadsheet app.

Project #7: Improve IyonixMesa/port/write a game. Would require me getting a version that works on my Iyonix, though.

Project #8: Write/port some non-IyonixMesa game

Project #9: Some long-forgotten project from the previous summers

Project #10: The next issue of Qercus
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Phil Mellor Message #78968, posted by monkeyson2 at 20:57, 21/8/2006, in reply to message #78966
monkeyson2Please don't let them make me be a monkey butler

Project #2: Write some proper textarea code for netsurf
Project #4: improved vnc_serv
These. Especially a VNC server, which would get me using my Iyonix much more (even at work :)) I vote for that.

Project #5: Unless i'm mistaken, we're a bit short of (free) 32bit compatible emulators (Gameboy, SNES, speccy, etc. So, port/update/write one/some/all!
There isn't a decent cross platform DS emulator yet. People with a background in ARM would be helpful for that.

Project #10: The next issue of Qercus
I think you can read most of it on Drobe now ;)

[Edited by monkeyson2 at 20:59, 21/8/2006]
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Jeffrey Lee Message #78970, posted by Phlamethrower at 21:03, 21/8/2006, in reply to message #78966

Project #4: My shortlist of unreleased short projects. The project auto-packager-uploader thingy, USB switchbox attention grabber, audio imbalance (semi) fixer, improved vnc_serv, telnet script executor, BASIC WOL script.
..and Depp, my makefile dependency updator thingy
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

van Engelen Thomas Message #78979, posted by highlandcattle at 22:57, 21/8/2006, in reply to message #78970
If you want a game to port apparently Chui's Dreamcast/GP32 port of Noi2za is 100% SDL and GGC compatible,but still I don't know how to get it done :(. But sadly I'll be damned if somebody finds his website I've been googling for 10 minutes

[Edited by highlandcattle at 22:59, 21/8/2006]
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Michael Drake Message #78994, posted by tlsa at 10:08, 22/8/2006, in reply to message #78966

Project #2: Write some proper textarea code for NetSurf

These!

If you're going to do NetSurf stuff maybe you could join the IRC channel were people can help.

Also, there are already dgen (Megadrive), gngb (GameBoy) and snes9x (SNES) ports from the UPP. I've not had them working though.

It might be more interesting to try to port something like PicoDrive which was made to run on ARM PocketPCs.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Phil Mellor Message #78995, posted by monkeyson2 at 10:12, 22/8/2006, in reply to message #78994

Could this be done in such a way that other applications in need of decent text editing could use it, or is it too dependent on the Netsurf block model and rendering?

[Edited by monkeyson2 at 10:13, 22/8/2006]
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Michael Drake Message #78996, posted by tlsa at 10:20, 22/8/2006, in reply to message #78995

Could this be done in such a way that other applications in need of decent text editing could use it, or is it too dependent on the NetSurf block model and rendering?
NetSurf has two kinds of textarea, one for in web pages, that have to be styled and may need to have stuff like PNGs with alpha channels for backgrounds. The other is used for editing hotlist entries and displaying SSL certificate info, which uses RISC OS window furnature and nested wimp for scrolling.

I guess one of the programmers could explain the differerences and requirements for each type better.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

richard cheng Message #79002, posted by richcheng at 11:10, 22/8/2006, in reply to message #78996

I vote for an Iyonix compatible VNC server, or anything to do with Netsurf.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Adrian Lees Message #79003, posted by adrianl at 11:12, 22/8/2006, in reply to message #78996
The need for textareas to be implemented within the box tree is the main cause of its current weaknesses; box trees do not lend themselves well to editing/reflowing text.

It's taken quite a bit of effort to get them to work this well within the constraints of the box tree; probably better to fully understand and extend/correct the existing code rather than start from scratch and have to reimplement all the rendering/layout stuff that comes 'for free' with the box tree.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Adrian Lees Message #79004, posted by adrianl at 11:14, 22/8/2006, in reply to message #79002
I'd like one of them, and I've always quite fancied writing one.

Sshh, don't tell anyone, but I actually implemented part of one a while ago, and as Monkeyson has spotted, the emulated screen that I used in Geminus/Aemulor Pro, lends itself quite well to detecting screen updates in the way that a VNC server must. If only code could be produced as quickly as ideas *sigh*
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Jeffrey Lee Message #79006, posted by Phlamethrower at 11:32, 22/8/2006, in reply to message #79004

I'd like one of them, and I've always quite fancied writing one.
There already is an Iyonix compatible VNC server (insert link here), and that's the one I've been working on. Main thing I'm aiming for at the moment is to stop it crashing like a bitch if you change screen mode (mostly done), and then to support the resize protocol thingy so that when you do change mode it won't be forced to drop the connection. Plus a fancy WIMP frontend would be nice, I guess.

Sshh, don't tell anyone, but I actually implemented part of one a while ago, and as Monkeyson has spotted, the emulated screen that I used in Geminus/Aemulor Pro, lends itself quite well to detecting screen updates in the way that a VNC server must. If only code could be produced as quickly as ideas *sigh*
Any code to improve the screen update detection would be appreciated :)
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Phil Mellor Message #79007, posted by monkeyson2 at 11:55, 22/8/2006, in reply to message #79004

Come on, I had the idea a year ago. I've had loads of ideas since then - hundreds, thousands, and you've written two, maybe three programs? :laugh: Get with it, lazy! One day I hope you'll be as productive as I am. :P
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Adrian Lees Message #79009, posted by adrianl at 12:22, 22/8/2006, in reply to message #79007
Come on, I had the idea a year ago. I've had loads of ideas since then - hundreds, thousands, and you've written two, maybe three programs? :laugh: Get with it, lazy! One day I hope you'll be as productive as I am. :P
Point taken, but every time you have a good idea, it takes me five, maybe six months to recover from the shock! :P
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Jeffrey Lee Message #79010, posted by Phlamethrower at 12:43, 22/8/2006, in reply to message #79007

And how many of your ideas have you written over the course of that year? :P
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Phil Mellor Message #79011, posted by monkeyson2 at 12:45, 22/8/2006, in reply to message #79010

And how many of your ideas have you written over the course of that year? :P
Oh, I'm not interested in the tedious implementation part. Why spend months doing that, when I could be thinking up MORE ideas?
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Kevin Wells Message #79032, posted by Revin Kevin at 19:14, 22/8/2006, in reply to message #78966

This gets my vote.
________
I did not do it.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Jeffrey Lee Message #79039, posted by Phlamethrower at 19:57, 22/8/2006, in reply to message #79032

So judging by current responses...

1. Possibly ProJect (the project packager thingy), as I'll be using it in some form or another to unleash some of the other projects onto the world.
2. vnc_serv. At the least, get a stable version out.
3. NetSurf text areas
4. Use my vnc_serv + NetSurf improvements as leverage to get Adrian/McEwen to release Cineroma or some code which can be used to improve KinoAmp. Much better for them to release some/all of their code than for me to waste time duplicating their effort.
5. Failing that, have a look at some emulators. And spend the rest of the time skiving instead of working :P

Plus as at least one of the above will involve an update to my website, some of the other smaller projects may get released as well (As I'm far too lazy to do seperate updates for each one, hence writing some of these tools in the first place :P)
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Jeffrey Lee Message #79040, posted by Phlamethrower at 20:14, 22/8/2006, in reply to message #79039

Add to that list "fixing netsurf so that the pointer doesn't change shape when you move it over a hyperlink/etc contained in an obscured window" :sniff:
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Jeffrey Lee Message #79041, posted by Phlamethrower at 20:15, 22/8/2006, in reply to message #79040

Actually it only seems to do it some of the time, but still :sniff:
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Jeffrey Lee Message #79043, posted by Phlamethrower at 21:28, 22/8/2006, in reply to message #79041

vnc_serv:

Mouse is a bit sluggish. I thought it was because it was needlessly buffering movement requests, but it looks like it processes each request as soon as it's read from the network socket. So can't be that. However this sluggishness was when I was running it over a serial network, now that I have a proper one it doesn't seem too bad :P

Oddness: Running it in a taskwindow and clicking the titlebar of that taskwindow via VNC will cause it to stop responding until I manually un-click it.

The module: Obviously doesn't suffer from the above problem, but my code that detects changes in screen mode seems to barf randomly and close the connection when dragging windows. I guess the way the graphics window gets changed causes it to get confused. But since this is running as a module, I should be able to listen for the screenmode change callback thingy instead.

More oddness: Connecting to a 16bpp vnc_serv using 8bpp ViNCe causes white pixels to show up as black. Presumably this is a bug in vnc_serv.

Also, either I've gone deaf in my right ear, or the sound on my Iyonix has magically fixed itself. :o
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Jeffrey Lee Message #79048, posted by Phlamethrower at 22:00, 22/8/2006, in reply to message #79043

But since this is running as a module, I should be able to listen for the screenmode change callback thingy instead.
Done. It'll now drop the connection when you change mode, and seems to work OK with hardware scrolling (Should be fine with screenbank changes, too)

Next step will be getting it to work with the reshape protocol thingy.

More oddness: Connecting to a 16bpp vnc_serv using 8bpp ViNCe causes white pixels to show up as black. Presumably this is a bug in vnc_serv.
Except this time it's coming out green. Hmm.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Jeffrey Lee Message #79053, posted by Phlamethrower at 22:56, 22/8/2006, in reply to message #79048

Oddness: Running it in a taskwind and clicking the titlebar of that taskwindow via VNC will cause it to stop responding until I manually un-click it.
Actually, this seems to happen with any StrongED taskwindow.

But since this is running as a module, I should be able to listen for the screenmode change callback thingy instead.
Done. It'll now drop the connection when you change mode, and seems to work OK with hardware scrolling (Should be fine with screenbank changes, too)
And now works OK if the new mode is the same width+height+bpp as the old one. So you can F12, type some commands, and return to the desktop! woo!

Next step will be getting it to work with the reshape protocol thingy.
ViNCe doesn't support it. Guess I'll use Windows then :sniff:
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Michael Drake Message #79054, posted by tlsa at 23:01, 22/8/2006, in reply to message #79053

Avalanche (my favourite VNC client) says it supports "Screen resizing (DeaktopSize pseudo-encoding)".
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Jeffrey Lee Message #79055, posted by Phlamethrower at 23:04, 22/8/2006, in reply to message #79054

Avalanche (my favourite VNC client) says it supports "Screen resizing (DeaktopSize pseudo-encoding)".
Yup, that'll do it :)

78k download? Now that's what I call software!
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Jeffrey Lee Message #79056, posted by Phlamethrower at 23:12, 22/8/2006, in reply to message #79055

Hmm, rather sluggish dragging windows with Avalance, and it doesn't seem to work (properly) with an 8bpp connection. But it does trigger the DesktopResize stuff, so all I have to do now is implement it :P
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Jeffrey Lee Message #79057, posted by Phlamethrower at 23:50, 22/8/2006, in reply to message #79056

*codes for a bit*

..it works! :E

First time! :E

Only problem seems to be that the colours will get messed up if you change colour depth.

And Avalance barfed a bit when I tried changing mode once, so I probably need to empty the output buffers.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Jeffrey Lee Message #79058, posted by Phlamethrower at 00:14, 23/8/2006, in reply to message #79057

Buffer thingy fixed.

I've just been playing Zool using it! *

WHERE ARE MY KUDOS?!?!

* But with messed up colours, and the keyboard wasn't working so I had to use the one connected to the RiscPC itself. And i'm not sure if it was working properly with screen bank switches. But it worked!!
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Jeffrey Lee Message #79059, posted by Phlamethrower at 00:47, 23/8/2006, in reply to message #79058

Colours are working better, but still no luck with Zool. It probably changes the palette or something.

*tries hamsters*

Wah! I killed the Internet module.

Still, it seems stable enough for desktop work.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Jeffrey Lee Message #79060, posted by Phlamethrower at 00:53, 23/8/2006, in reply to message #79055

Yup, that'll do it :)
Especially since the version of WinVNC I have doesn't support it either :o
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Pages (10): 1 > >|

The Icon Bar: The Playpen: Over the summer V: Oh god not another Rocky movie