Forgot password
Forum stats
List of members
Search the forums

Advanced search
Recent discussions
- uniprint upgraded to 4.50 (News:)
- PhotoDesk 3.23 released (News:)
- R-Comp reveals N.Ex.T Boxes - the successor to the i.MX6 (News:)
- RISCOSbits at Wakefield Show 2024 (News:)
- R-Comp releases Genealogy v2 (News:)
- Will we see 5.30 released at Wakefield show? (News:1)
- Sine Nomine updates RiscOSM and Impact (News:)
- Netfetch version 5.55 released (News:)
- Prizes for Wakefield Show announced (News:)
- Heretic update from R-Comp (News:)
Latest postings RSS Feeds
RSS 2.0 | 1.0 | 0.9
Atom 0.3
Misc RDF | CDF

View on Mastodon
@www.iconbar.com@rss-parrot.net
Site Search

Article archives
The Icon Bar: The Playpen: Red Dwarf DVD out November 4th

Red Dwarf DVD out November 4th
  (12:40 20/4/2002)
  mike (14:58 15/6/2002)
    moss (14:58 15/6/2002)
        moss (18:50 22/4/2002)

moss Message #9946, posted at 12:40, 20/4/2002
Unregistered user http://www.reddwarf.co.uk/deck01/dvd_plans.html

Starting with series 1. Original episodes, not remastered. 2 discs a series - 1 with 6 episodes at a high bitrate and two commentaries (cast/crew), and another filled with extras.

It looks like everything I hoped it could be.

[Edited by moss at 12:45, 20/4/2002]

^[ Log in to reply ]

moss Message #9950, posted at 18:50, 22/4/2002, in reply to message #9949
Unregistered user
Cool! :D I have only seen Gunman of the Apocalypse in the 6th series.

The Emmy-award-winning Gunmen of the Apocolypse, I think you'll find :D That was a fantasic episode, but the rest are really good too - particuarly Legion (which has some of the funniest Dwarf lines ever in it) and Out Of Time (great ending).

I quite liked 8 but I agree that 7 wasn't up to their usual high standards. ;)

Some parts of Series 7 were quite good (I particuarly liked Rimmer's line when Lister enters the cockpit to find the usual chaos and exploding consoles ("Morning!") but it was nothing compared to previous series, if I'm absolutely honest with myself. Which is a shame :( A lot of the effects were really dodgy too, as crap 2-D CGI replaced a lot of model shots during editing, because a lot of the model shots were unusable due to late script changes.

Series 8 was better, but there was still major problems, I found. Although it was funnier, the plots had problems, mainly due to budget problems and the BBC being annoying. Back In The Red seems stretched as a three-parter, but the original script was for one one-hour episode, which the BBC rejected at the last minute - so it had to be recut, with new scenes shot. Similarly, Pete was supposed to be only one episode, but the dinosaur effects cost so much it had to be spread into two - again, it seems too stretched out. Also, whilst it was funnier than previous series, there was too much easy and, frankly out-of-date humour - Kryten's Jeremy Beadle impression is a good example of this. Finally, the cliffhanger is pathetic, and badly done - the original, shot ending was to have Rimmer appear to die, which would have been a *far* better ending, but Doug was advised to change it. Fool :|

Still worth watching though, both series. But 5 and 6 are far, far better. :)

[Edited by moss at 18:51, 22/4/2002]

^[ Log in to reply ]

mike Message #9947, posted at 14:58, 15/6/2002, in reply to message #9946
Unregistered user
Starting with series 1. Original episodes, not remastered. 2 discs a series - 1 with 6 episodes at a high bitrate and two commentaries (cast/crew), and another filled with extras.

Wow! I hope they get series 5 and 6 out soon after - I havn't seen those yet. unhappy

^[ Log in to reply ]

moss Message #9948, posted at 14:58, 15/6/2002, in reply to message #9947
Unregistered user

Wow! I hope they get series 5 and 6 out soon after - I havn't seen those yet. unhappy

They're brilliant! smile 7 and 8 weren't very good, although they had their moments.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

mike Message #9949, posted at 14:58, 15/6/2002, in reply to message #9948
Unregistered user

They're brilliant! smile 7 and 8 weren't very good, although they had their moments.

Cool! grin I have only seen Gunman of the Apocalypse in the 6th series.

I quite liked 8 but I agree that 7 wasn't up to their usual high standards. wink

[Edited by mike at 18:33, 20/4/2002]

^[ Log in to reply ]

mike Message #9951, posted at 14:58, 15/6/2002, in reply to message #9950
Unregistered user
The Emmy-award-winning Gunmen of the Apocolypse, I think you'll find grin That was a fantasic episode, but the rest are really good too - particuarly Legion (which has some of the funniest Dwarf lines ever in it) and Out Of Time (great ending).

grin I can't wait to get the DVDs!

Some parts of Series 7 were quite good (I particuarly liked Rimmer's line when Lister enters the cockpit to find the usual chaos and exploding consoles ("Morning!"wink

LOL, yeah that was funny.

but it was nothing compared to previous series, if I'm absolutely honest with myself.

I tend to agree there... My favourites being 1&2

Which is a shame unhappy A lot of the effects were really dodgy too, as crap 2-D CGI replaced a lot of model shots during editing, because a lot of the model shots were unusable due to late script changes.

Yeah, the remasterd stuff that they did was also poor compared to the originals.

I'm sure I read that the reason that they started to use CGI was that someone knocked the Red Dwarf model of a shelf and it broke beyond repair!

Finally, the cliffhanger is pathetic,

I thought Rimmer kneeing Death in the balls was great! However, him ending up stuck on the burning ship was a bit of a lame ending...

They should have killed him off and brought him back as a hologram. I thought it was hillarious when he managed to bring himself back to life in "Timeslides", then promptly killed himself again! grin

RIMMER: I'm alive! I can touch, I can feel, I can fondle -- I'm alive! Don't you think it's incredible?

(RIMMER decides to punctuate his sentence by bringing his fists down hard on two innocuous-looking crates that just happen to be labelled, "Explosives."wink

LOL!

and badly done - the original, shot ending was to have Rimmer appear to die, which would have been a *far* better ending

Totally. I read somewhere (Radio Times?) that it was originally going to end with Red Dwarf crashing into Earth and wiping out the human race!

Still worth watching though, both series. But 5 and 6 are far, far better.

Gah! I need to see them! I hope the film turns out good too...

^[ Log in to reply ]

The Icon Bar: The Playpen: Red Dwarf DVD out November 4th