Register new account
Forgot password
Forum stats
List of members
Search the forums

Advanced search
Recent discussions
- Archive Edition 27:2 reviewed (News:)
- WROCC May 2024 meeting - Gerph talks games (News:)
- Drag'n'Drop 13i3 edition reviewed (News:1)
- Wakefield Show 2024 in Pictures (News:5)
- April 2024 News Summary (News:2)
- RISC OS 5.30 arrives (News:2)
- Upgrading your RISC OS system to 5.30 (News:2)
- WROCC May 2024 meeting on wednesday - Gerph talks games (News:)
- uniprint upgraded to 4.50 (News:)
- PhotoDesk 3.23 released (News:)
Latest postings RSS Feeds
RSS 2.0 | 1.0 | 0.9
Atom 0.3
Misc RDF | CDF

View on Mastodon
@www.iconbar.com@rss-parrot.net
Site Search

Article archives
The Icon Bar: Games: Wiiiiiiiiiiiiii!

Wiiiiiiiiiiiiii!
  This is a long thread. Click here to view the threaded list.

Jeffrey Lee Message #100498, posted by Phlamethrower at 15:23, 22/3/2007, in reply to message #100497
PhlamethrowerHot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot stuff

China and France, OBVIOUSLY.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Phil Mellor Message #100901, posted by monkeyson2 at 13:23, 28/3/2007, in reply to message #100498
monkeyson2Please don't let them make me be a monkey butler

http://www.n-europe.com/news.php?nid=10310

Bizarre!
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Phil Mellor Message #100966, posted by monkeyson2 at 22:39, 29/3/2007, in reply to message #100901

http://kotaku.com/gaming/clip/clip-super-paper-mario-intro-248200.php

I *really* hope that music is in the game. smile
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Richard Goodwin Message #100976, posted by rich at 09:07, 30/3/2007, in reply to message #100966
Rich
Dictator for life
http://kotaku.com/gaming/clip/clip-super-paper-mario-intro-248200.php

I *really* hope that music is in the game. smile
Really? Because it's just one of the many reasons I've never liked that kind of game. It's as whiny and annoying as an American heiress!
________
RichGCheers,
Rich.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Michael Drake Message #101099, posted by tlsa at 09:16, 4/4/2007, in reply to message #100976

I've made http://wii.smoothartist.com/?show=released and need fill in some blanks.

If you have a game for the UK/Europe Wii, please could you tell me:
  • The max number of players
    (Icon on back of the box in shape of wiimote should say)
  • If the game uses the nunchuck
    (Also an icon on the back of the box)
  • Whether there is a widescreen mode
    (I think you have to play the game to know)
  • If progressive scan is supported
    (EDTV/HDTV icon)
  • If the game has surround sound
    (Dolby Pro Logic II icon on back of box)
  • If the game has online features
    (Do any wii games have online features yet?)
Most icons are at the top of the back of the box, except the Dolby one, which is towards the bottom. The Dolby icon is also shown on the Disc Channel start screen, if the game supports it.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

John Hoare Message #101119, posted by moss at 03:01, 5/4/2007, in reply to message #101099

I've finished Twilight Princess. And, as I said here:

I HAVE TEH FINISHED ZELDAS

A fantastic game, obviously. And a couple of lovely twists at the end, which I won't spoil. Beautiful.

But I do think it takes a severe downturn after you finish Sky City. Both Twilight Palace and Hyrule Castle are *far* too small for end-of-game dungeons - and as I said, I think the game is badly paced. Three dungeons in a row I suppose is meant to lend some sort of urgency - but from the moment you start Sky City to the time when you get to the last boss of the game, there's NO STORY. Which is rubbish.

And I beat the last boss on my first go. Without cheating. Erm, what? I know I've obviously got better at the game as I've been playing it, but I expected a bit more of a challenge than that. Earlier parts of the game were shitloads harder. In fact, the whole of Hyrule Castle is just *far* too easy for the last dungeon of the game.

Great stuff then - and I'm definitely buying Ocarina of Time on the VC - but the last part of the game is rather a disappointment, especially compared to the fucking amazing first third of the game.
Gah. Great game, but (excellent Midna stuff aside) I'm really disappointed by the last few hours of gameplay.

I started OOT tonight, BTW. Just started the first dungeon. It look me ages to find the sword - I went poking around in the Lost Woods to start with indiff
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Andrew Rawnsley Message #101123, posted by arawnsley at 09:51, 5/4/2007, in reply to message #101099
R-Comp chap
Excitetruck supports 2 players, prog scan, 16:9, doesn't use the numchuck, does support dolby prologic 2, no online functions.

As an aside, AFAIK prog scan is determined by the Wii settings, not the game. If you set the console to 480p, the console will output 480p. At least, so sayth my TV! For example, Wii Sports and Wii Play both show 480p when I press the info button on the TV.

Same is largely true for Widescreen, I believe, although apparently Korinpa is a bit wierd in this regard.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Michael Drake Message #101124, posted by tlsa at 10:07, 5/4/2007, in reply to message #101123

Excitetruck supports 2 players, prog scan, 16:9, doesn't use the numchuck, does support dolby prologic 2, no online functions.
Woo, thanks! grin
As an aside, AFAIK prog scan is determined by the Wii settings, not the game. If you set the console to 480p, the console will output 480p. At least, so sayth my TV! For example, Wii Sports and Wii Play both show 480p when I press the info button on the TV.
Hmm, I'm not sure. I'll have to investigate.
Same is largely true for Widescreen, I believe, although apparently Korinpa is a bit wierd in this regard.
No, some games lack a 16:9 mode. Metal Slug Anthology doesn't have a widescreen mode, for instance.

[Edited by tlsa at 10:08, 5/4/2007]
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Phil Mellor Message #101125, posted by monkeyson2 at 10:15, 5/4/2007, in reply to message #101124

Hmm, I'm not sure. I'll have to investigate.
No, some games lack a 16:9 mode. Metal Slug Anthology doesn't have a widescreen mode, for instance.
Yeah, the settings are system wide, but not every game implements all the options. Some games don't do progressive scan either. How RUBBISH are these developers?
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

ninjah Message #101127, posted by ninj at 15:56, 5/4/2007, in reply to message #101119

Gah. Great game, but (excellent Midna stuff aside) I'm really disappointed by the last few hours of gameplay.

I started OOT tonight, BTW. Just started the first dungeon. It look me ages to find the sword - I went poking around in the Lost Woods to start with indiff
I've started OoT four times. First two times, on the N64, I completed it. Third time was later when I got my own N64, and I got as far as the Water Temple, and then got pissed off with it. Fourth time was on the Gamecube, and I didn't get as far as the first boss because I got too fed up with the shonky framerate. Does the VC version fix the framerate issues at all? I can't play the game on an N64 any more because of that.

For anyone else looking for a Zelda-esque game but disappointed with TP, I'd like to recommend Okami. Granted, it's on the PS2, and it's a bit easy, but it really is a charming game despite nicking an awful lot from OoT. It's the best Zelda-esque game since OoT.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Phil Mellor Message #101128, posted by monkeyson2 at 16:00, 5/4/2007, in reply to message #101127

For anyone else looking for a Zelda-esque game but disappointed with TP, I'd like to recommend Okami. Granted, it's on the PS2, and it's a bit easy, but it really is a charming game despite nicking an awful lot from OoT. It's the best Zelda-esque game since OoT.
I've heard rumours that a Wii version is in progress shock
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

richard cheng Message #101129, posted by richcheng at 16:24, 5/4/2007, in reply to message #101127

Ooh. I've been drooling over Okami ever since I first saw the screenshots. Maybe this recommendation will actually nudge me into finally getting round to buying it.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

John Hoare Message #101130, posted by moss at 19:03, 5/4/2007, in reply to message #101127

Does the VC version fix the framerate issues at all? I can't play the game on an N64 any more because of that.
Nope. Nintendo have got a policy of making the VC games as close as possible to the originals - so no changes here.

I found the frame rate weird at first too, but I soon got used to it, and don't even notice it now.

Anyway, I'm just on the first dungeon boss. It's fun smile Although playing TP has definitely improved my puzzle-solving skills...
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Andrew Rawnsley Message #101150, posted by arawnsley at 11:21, 7/4/2007, in reply to message #101130
R-Comp chap
I'm a bit surprised about the frame-rate... If I recall, the port included with WindWaker for Gamecube (and on the Zelda collectors GC disc) was praised at the time for feeling "better" than the original. This may be rose-tinted spectacles though unhappy Mind you, I think the GC versions ran at 60hz so may be ports of the NTSC version, rather than the PAL release. Sometimes I *really* hate being lumped in with the rest of Europe!
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Andrew Poole Message #101151, posted by andypoole at 11:31, 7/4/2007, in reply to message #101150
andypoole
Mouse enthusiast
Web
Twitter

Mind you, I think the GC versions ran at 60hz
Yeah, it does. Because my TV won't display it!

Fortunately, my monitor has a composite input and *will* display it smile

Andy. Should probably buy a Wii at some point..
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

John Hoare Message #101297, posted by moss at 13:46, 12/4/2007, in reply to message #101151

Proper Internet Channel now available!

The best new bit is the improved jingle at the start. The new zoom is excellent too, though.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Phil Mellor Message #101313, posted by monkeyson2 at 20:35, 12/4/2007, in reply to message #101297

Fab.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Simon Wilson Message #101314, posted by ksattic at 21:43, 12/4/2007, in reply to message #101313
ksattic
Finally, an avatar!

So, has Super Paper Mario been released in the UK yet? It's pretty damn good.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Phil Mellor Message #101315, posted by monkeyson2 at 22:09, 12/4/2007, in reply to message #101314

So, has Super Paper Mario been released in the UK yet? It's pretty damn good.
Not even a release date. My bet is September unhappy
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

John Hoare Message #101317, posted by moss at 22:44, 12/4/2007, in reply to message #101313

Fab.
The more I use it, the better it seems. The zoom is just amazingly improved - and the pop-up nav at the bottom is brilliant.

I can see myself using the browser *far* more than I did before.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

John Hoare Message #101396, posted by moss at 22:29, 15/4/2007, in reply to message #101317

OK, this is weird. Browsing the VC, I noticed that Pacman, released Friday, says that it has a component cable compatibility mode.

So, I check my downloaded VC games, and sure enough - Zelda and Mario have updates, and each now lists having a component cable compatibility mode. So I download them, and... nothing's changed. Just a blank screen. So I delete the saved game files - and again, nothing. I check it in 480p, 576i, and 480i - it doesn't work in all three.

What the fuck's going on?
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Phil Mellor Message #101405, posted by monkeyson2 at 10:18, 16/4/2007, in reply to message #101396

What the fuck's going on?
You've broken it? tongue

Dunno. I don't understand why it's so difficult for them to support PAL TVs properly.

You'll have to start the games all over again if you've deleted your save files, of course unhappy
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Michael Drake Message #101415, posted by tlsa at 14:03, 16/4/2007, in reply to message #101405

I was under the impression that it was more a TV problem than a Wii/VC problem. Some TVs won't accept an interlaced signal over component cable. Either your TV does or it doesn't.

I don't think it's just PAL TVs.

Edit: The easiest workaround is to use an RGB Scart cable. Virtually no loss of quaility compared to component and works with all TV/VC game combinations.

[Edited by tlsa at 14:05, 16/4/2007]
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

John Hoare Message #101417, posted by moss at 14:12, 16/4/2007, in reply to message #101415

I was under the impression that it was more a TV problem than a Wii/VC problem. Some TVs won't accept an interlaced signal over component cable. Either your TV does or it doesn't.

I don't think it's just PAL TVs.
The thing is, though - what's this fix supposed to have done, then?

Also: my telly supports TurboGrafix games across the component cable - and they're interlaced. From what I read online, it's less of an interlaced issue - and more of a "some TVs can't accept certain types of interlaced signals with component" - typically ones that are below a certain resolution.

What Nintendo should really have done is made the Wii upscale the games resolution so that *all* TV's can cope with them. They may not have wanted to do that as they wanted to replicate games exactly - but I would have liked it as an option. This is what I had assumed this component fix with certain games would have done - and from the wording, it looks like this is exactly what was intended - but it doesn't look like it's done anything.

Edit: The easiest workaround is to use an RGB Scart cable. Virtually no loss of quaility compared to component and works with all TV/VC game combinations.
It looks like I'm going to have to do that. But if I'd known, I'd never have bought the component cable in the first place. I wish I'd known beforehand.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Phil Mellor Message #101418, posted by monkeyson2 at 14:19, 16/4/2007, in reply to message #101417

What Nintendo should really have done is made the Wii upscale the games resolution so that *all* TV's can cope with them. They may not have wanted to do that as they wanted to replicate games exactly - but I would have liked it as an option.
^ This.

I suppose they've replicated the fact that ancient games consoles don't work with new HDTVs.

It looks like I'm going to have to do that. But if I'd known, I'd never have bought the component cable in the first place. I wish I'd known beforehand.
Well I can't, because I don't have any spare SCART sockets, but do have lots of spare component inputs. I don't accept that Nintendo can't work around the technical limitations, and it's much easier for them to make a software change than for me to buy a new TV or upgrade its firmware.

All I know is that I'm certainly not buying any more virtual console games until I can be confident that I can use them. So ner to pooey Nintendo Europe. tongue
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

John Hoare Message #101432, posted by moss at 07:43, 17/4/2007, in reply to message #101418

Well, I've finished the second dungeon on OOT.

Verdict? Great game, but it doesn't beat Final Fantasy VII, released the year before tongue
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

John Hoare Message #101457, posted by moss at 23:41, 17/4/2007, in reply to message #101432

Bloody hell! They don't exactly make it easy to tell you how to get to Zora's Domain, do they? I had to cheat and look at a walkthrough in the end.

Now I look, I feel I should have guessed... but it *is* a tough bit. Unless I'm just an idiot, of course tongue
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Phil Mellor Message #101461, posted by monkeyson2 at 08:10, 18/4/2007, in reply to message #101457

Hey! Listen!

Wait until you get to the water temple. Then you'll understand the need for a walkthrough. tongue
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Phil Mellor Message #101781, posted by monkeyson2 at 10:59, 27/4/2007, in reply to message #101396

OK, this is weird. Browsing the VC, I noticed that Pacman, released Friday, says that it has a component cable compatibility mode.

So, I check my downloaded VC games, and sure enough - Zelda and Mario have updates, and each now lists having a component cable compatibility mode. So I download them, and... nothing's changed. Just a blank screen. So I delete the saved game files - and again, nothing. I check it in 480p, 576i, and 480i - it doesn't work in all three.

Initially, some PAL Virtual Console games would not display correctly on high-definition televisions when connected via the component lead. However, starting with the April 13, 2007 update of the PAL Virtual Console, certain newly added games, such as Punch-Out!!, support the "Wii Component Cable Interlace mode." This is a temporary fix to problems with various Virtual Console games being played over Component Cable on HDTVs. The mode can be enabled by accessing the operations guide of the game, and (with the Nunchuk attached) pressing the buttons Z + A + 2 simultaneously. A sound is played if the mode is enabled correctly. Several older games also have updates available to enable the feature, including Super Castlevania IV and Super Mario Bros. The mode can be disabled by using the same method, but with the button combination Z + A + 1 instead.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virtual_Console#PAL_games_over_Component
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

John Hoare Message #101785, posted by moss at 13:52, 27/4/2007, in reply to message #101781

a) That's great! Thanks. I'll try it later.

b) Nice to see it's optional, too.

c) They *didn't* make it clear though, did they? Why didn't they put a news item on the Wii Shop, or even send a message to the message board? How was I supposed to know this?

d) "temporary fix"? Interesting. Are they going to update the Wii firmware at some point, to do this for all VC games?
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Pages (9): |< < 4 > >|

The Icon Bar: Games: Wiiiiiiiiiiiiii!