User accounts
Register new account
Forgot password
Forum stats
List of members
Search the forums

Advanced search
Recent discussions
- Gerph's live coding session on Youtube (News:)
- Rougol June 2024 meeting on monday (News:1)
- WROCC June 2024 meeting - Mark Moxon dissects Lander (News:1)
- WROCC June 2024 meeting on wednesday - Mark Moxon on Lander (News:1)
- June developer 'fireside' chat is on saturday night (News:)
- May 2024 News Summary (News:5)
- Archive Edition 27:2 reviewed (News:)
- RISC OS 5.30 arrives (News:12)
- Rougol Talk May 2024 - Andy Vawer (News:)
- Rougol May 2024 meeting on monday with Andy Vawer (News:1)
Latest postings RSS Feeds
RSS 2.0 | 1.0 | 0.9
Atom 0.3
Misc RDF | CDF

View on Mastodon
@www.iconbar.com@rss-parrot.net
Site Search

Article archives
The Icon Bar: Games: All Good things.....

All Good things.....
  Jon Atherton (18:43 16/4/2002)
  Phlamethrower (19:12 16/4/2002)
    Jon Atherton (20:04 16/4/2002)
      andreww (00:45 17/4/2002)
        ToiletDuck (08:06 17/4/2002)
          johnstlr (12:39 17/4/2002)
            Wrath (16:35 17/4/2002)
              SimonC (18:40 17/4/2002)
                tony2 (19:58 17/4/2002)
                  johnstlr (10:12 18/4/2002)
                    andreww (10:49 18/4/2002)

Jonathan Atherton Message #84396, posted by Jon Atherton at 18:43, 16/4/2002
AA refugee
I'm begining to wonder....
Is there any future for RISC OS gaming?
After Tek has been released I really can't see any more big releases. Last year due to the lack of games I went out and bought A Game Boy Advance. It really has been a superb little console and I've had great fun with it. I'd also like to get a GameCube when that comes out (But I'll probably have to get a job) The fact is buying a GBA has meant that I rarely use my RiscPC except for the Internet and word processing. Sooner or later I will have to replace it and I can't see me buying another RISC OS computer. There just doesn't seem to be enough happening paticuarly on the gaming front which is a shame really. As a little experiment I tried writing a little games coloumn for Archive. Although I was pleased with the result I've had no feedback at all. I did a poll for the best game of last year but have recieved no votes. It makes me wonder Is playing games on RISC OS coming to an end? I would appreciate any of your views on this subject.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Jeffrey Lee Message #84397, posted by Phlamethrower at 19:12, 16/4/2002, in reply to message #84396
PhlamethrowerHot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot stuff

Yes, it does look a bit grim...

However, once Omega comes out/a 3D API for ViewFinder has been written, we should be able to easily make good/high quality 3D games. The question is whether anyone thinks it is going to be worth it.

[Edited by Phlamethrower at 19:31, 16/4/2002]

^[ Log in to reply ]

Jonathan Atherton Message #84398, posted by Jon Atherton at 20:04, 16/4/2002, in reply to message #84397
AA refugee
Yes, it does look a bit grim...

However, once Omega comes out/a 3D API for ViewFinder has been written, we should be able to easily make good/high quality 3D games. The question is whether anyone thinks it is going to be worth it.<br><br>[Edited by Phlamethrower at 19:31, 16/4/2002]

I hate to sound negative but......

Do you think the Omega will ever come out? I have to say I have serious doubts about that one. Some of stuff you have done on Coders Cauldron looks good so keep up the good worksmile

[Edited by Jon Atherton at 20:05, 16/4/2002]

^[ Log in to reply ]

Andrew Message #84399, posted by andreww at 00:45, 17/4/2002, in reply to message #84398
AA refugee
I did a poll for Eureka and got just as much of a response as you Jonathan. There's very little interest unfortunately and all depends on new hardware.
The scene may become little more than a nostalgic area where people come from time to time. I hope not though.
Jeffrey -I really cannot see the Omega coming out, it seems an abandoned project.

The only hope as I see it is Castle's Neuron technology.

^[ Log in to reply ]

Mark Quint Message #84400, posted by ToiletDuck at 08:06, 17/4/2002, in reply to message #84399
Ooh ducky!Quack Quack
hrm,
I can see the Neuron doing things,
but it isnt really targetted at the Desktop market unhappy
There's always VirtualA5000... indiff
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Lee Johnston Message #84401, posted by johnstlr at 12:39, 17/4/2002, in reply to message #84400
I'm begining to wonder....
Is there any future for RISC OS gaming?

It depends on what people want from games. If you want games that can compete on a commercial basis then there isn't much of a future. The resources simply aren't within the RISC OS market to make it happen. The obvious way around this is to create a cross platform game and leverage resources from other platforms. However RISC OS hardware is so far behind that you'll either compromise the entire product or end up with something that isn't practical on RISC OS (ID anyone??)

The Neuron board is a step forward but remember that CATS was around before Phoebe. The only difference was no one thought to really try and use it in a RISC OS box, probably because Acorn wouldn't let them. Is Neuron a step forward? Within the market probably. In the wider picture I personally don't think so, it just shows where we should have been 4 years ago.

^[ Log in to reply ]

Nathan Message #84402, posted by Wrath at 16:35, 17/4/2002, in reply to message #84401
Unfortunately the only games that are likely to be released after TEK are going to be free ones. I don't believe that if the hardware and software picked up then you would get more games development since the market has lost nearly all of its games developers.

A utility programmer does not thus make a games writer.

Reason for VOTI going is that we had no graphics artists, noone to lend a hand and the very fabric of what we were fighting for was pulled from beneath us. We have been flamed on newsgroups and forums for what we said but now it seems that these people realised we were right.

You can bet that Pace will now try to flog RO since their share prices are very rocky but I doubt they would sell to ROL because I wouldn't.

^[ Log in to reply ]

Simon Challands Message #84403, posted by SimonC at 18:40, 17/4/2002, in reply to message #84402
Elite
Right on, Commander!

It might not be quite that bleak - there's always a chance that the odd low-budget game may appear, but I'm just as skeptical about anything really interesting cropping up :-(
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Tony Marshall Message #84404, posted by tony2 at 19:58, 17/4/2002, in reply to message #84403
AA refugee
In a negative mood...
Unfortunately the only games that are likely to be released after TEK are going to be free ones. I don't believe that if the hardware and software picked up then you would get more games development since the market has lost nearly all of its games developers.

I think Hardware is not going to pickup. What would they use?
Even if ROL had a 32bit OS with HAL, what processor could we use? 400mhz X-Scale?
That would be perhaps twice as powerfull as what we have now, and therefore only half as laughable.
Since what we have now is a complete joke....

Reason for VOTI going is that we had no graphics artists, noone to lend a hand and the very fabric of what we were fighting for was pulled from beneath us. We have been flamed on newsgroups and forums for what we said but now it seems that these people realised we were right.

I'm sure you were/are right, but it was a shame to see you leave even so.

You can bet that Pace will now try to flog RO since their share prices are very rocky but I doubt they would sell to ROL because I wouldn't.

If they do flog it, lets hope it's flogged to someone who (A)Gives a toss about the desktop market, (B)Has the brains to do something about it, and (C)Has the money as well.
Fortunately, this probably rules out ROL on all counts.
Unfortunately there is more chance of winning the lottery than seeing the above take place.

^[ Log in to reply ]

Lee Johnston Message #84405, posted by johnstlr at 10:12, 18/4/2002, in reply to message #84404
I think Hardware is not going to pickup. What would they use?
Even if ROL had a 32bit OS with HAL, what processor could we use? 400mhz X-Scale?
That would be perhaps twice as powerfull as what we have now, and therefore only half as laughable.
Since what we have now is a complete joke....

Remember that Intel have a definite roadmap for taking XScale to 1Ghz. Ok this is still a long way behind what X86's will do by that time but still better.

I'm not convinced that we'll ever see a version of RISC OS that will run on it though.

^[ Log in to reply ]

Andrew Message #84406, posted by andreww at 10:49, 18/4/2002, in reply to message #84405
AA refugee
There's no flamin' interest in cooperating regardless of hardware. I've never laughed at 200MHz or a 26-bit OS. That's not to say I don't want urgent progress but it's the progress that brings in interesting and useful new software and people.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

The Icon Bar: Games: All Good things.....