Forgot password
Forum stats
List of members
Search the forums

Advanced search
Recent discussions
- uniprint upgraded to 4.50 (News:)
- PhotoDesk 3.23 released (News:)
- R-Comp reveals N.Ex.T Boxes - the successor to the i.MX6 (News:)
- RISCOSbits at Wakefield Show 2024 (News:)
- R-Comp releases Genealogy v2 (News:)
- Will we see 5.30 released at Wakefield show? (News:1)
- Sine Nomine updates RiscOSM and Impact (News:)
- Netfetch version 5.55 released (News:)
- Prizes for Wakefield Show announced (News:)
- Heretic update from R-Comp (News:)
Latest postings RSS Feeds
RSS 2.0 | 1.0 | 0.9
Atom 0.3
Misc RDF | CDF

View on Mastodon
@www.iconbar.com@rss-parrot.net
Site Search

Article archives
The Icon Bar: The Playpen: Efficiency my arse!

Efficiency my arse!
  (14:58 15/6/2002)
  moss (14:58 15/6/2002)
    Phlamethrower (18:36 24/4/2002)
      ToiletDuck (14:58 15/6/2002)
        moss (14:58 15/6/2002)
          [mentat] (14:58 15/6/2002)

Phlamethrower Message #10269, posted at 18:36, 24/4/2002, in reply to message #10268
Unregistered user I have no idea. However I do know my graphics card has a fan on it, and something (Probably bus controller) on the motherboard has a heatsink.

And the CPU has a nice 2 inch cube heatsink, which requires incredible force to fit.

As a comparison to the power, an Osaris runs off 2xAA batteries, maxing at about 200mA (i.e. 0.6W). However during normal useage I don't think it goes above 0.3W. A GBA mains adapter throws out 300mA (0.9W), but I expect a couple of batteries only throw out about 250mA.

^[ Log in to reply ]

Phlamethrower Message #10267, posted at 14:58, 15/6/2002
Unregistered user At about 9pm last night, the PSU in my PC decided to die, probably caused by a recent upgrade to a 1.4GHz Athlon. The new PSU and case to replace it is rated at 300W - nice and 'efficient'. The case also seems to be about twice as large (In reality only a couple of inches), and one side is riddled with ventilation holes - by the time the P6 comes out PC cases will just be a big wire bag wink

It features a dodgy moulded front, meaning that the floppy drive is no longer right on the outside of the case. You need to stick the floppy about an inch into the computer in order to get it in. The floppy light hardly comes on at all because there is such a large gap between the real light and the bit of plastic on the case. Also because the case has easy-glide castor feet things, when you press the eject button the computer shifts back about an inch before it actually ejects. Then you have the job of reaching in and fishing out the disk.

The fan is quite a bit quieter though smile

Bleh, might as well put something interesting here. The new Athlon XP processors need you to use a special silicon gel to sandwich them to the heatsink, otherwise they burn out within the first couple of seconds of being turned on.

^[ Log in to reply ]

moss Message #10268, posted at 14:58, 15/6/2002, in reply to message #10267
Unregistered user Heatsinks on computers should have died out with the Atom tongue

Actually, whilst I remember - the Atom's heatsink was for the ULA, wasn't it?

^[ Log in to reply ]

Mark Quint Message #10270, posted by ToiletDuck at 14:58, 15/6/2002, in reply to message #10269
Ooh ducky!Quack Quack
ahh i've got a classic SlotA based Athlon smile
so its nice & load & funnyily cartridge shaped shock
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

moss Message #10271, posted at 14:58, 15/6/2002, in reply to message #10270
Unregistered user I'm box building over the summer shock
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

I don't have tourettes you're just a cun Message #10272, posted by [mentat] at 14:58, 15/6/2002, in reply to message #10271
[mentat]Fear is the mind-killer
I'm box building over the summer shock

Just cos you know that's the only way you'll ever see a box! tonguetongue

--
Q. What's worse than paper tits?

A. A Cardboard box.

^[ Log in to reply ]

The Icon Bar: The Playpen: Efficiency my arse!