User accounts
Register new account
Forgot password
Forum stats
List of members
Search the forums

Advanced search
Recent discussions
- Upgrading your RISC OS system to 5.30 (News:2)
- WROCC May 2024 meeting on wednesday - Gerph talks games (News:)
- Wakefield Show 2024 in Pictures (News:4)
- RISC OS 5.30 arrives (News:1)
- April 2024 News Summary (News:1)
- uniprint upgraded to 4.50 (News:)
- PhotoDesk 3.23 released (News:)
- R-Comp reveals N.Ex.T Boxes - the successor to the i.MX6 (News:)
- RISCOSbits at Wakefield Show 2024 (News:)
- R-Comp releases Genealogy v2 (News:)
Latest postings RSS Feeds
RSS 2.0 | 1.0 | 0.9
Atom 0.3
Misc RDF | CDF

View on Mastodon
@www.iconbar.com@rss-parrot.net
Site Search

Article archives
The Icon Bar: The Playpen: Getting the rights to old games

Getting the rights to old games
  This is a long thread. Click here to view the threaded list.

Phil Mellor Message #51090, posted by monkeyson2 at 12:17, 11/2/2004, in reply to message #51089
monkeyson2Please don't let them make me be a monkey butler

I've found Gyrinus 2 which is a Tom Cooper game, is that one that can be given away now ?
I think that was PD anyway. :)

I wonder if Tom has the source or development versions of his old games? That sort of stuff is really interesting to pick through. No really.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Richard Goodwin Message #51091, posted by rich at 12:25, 11/2/2004, in reply to message #51090
Rich
Dictator for life
I wonder if Tom has the source or development versions of his old games?
I very much doubt it. He couldn't even tell me how to get past a certain part in Darkwood a few years back.

I might have a development copy of Darkwood kicking around, along with the sprite compressor. What with me doing some of the graphics and that. However, it's entirely possible it's not the finished code.
________
RichGCheers,
Rich.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Jeffrey Lee Message #51092, posted by Phlamethrower at 12:37, 11/2/2004, in reply to message #51091
PhlamethrowerHot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot stuff

*replies to several people at once*

I have demos of Wavelength, DarkWood and Hamsters, if they're any use. I don't think they work on my RISC PC though. (SA, RO4) I think the DarkWood one, at least, can be started with the cache off.
The hamsters demo works fine on my 3.71 SA, providing you comment out the 'RMLoad Mode120' line in the !Run file. IIRC the wavelength demo works fine too, but I can't rememember whether I have a copy of the DarkWood demo or not.

OK, I've just plugged in the hard drive from Neil's old A3K (my brother bought it from him circa 1995) and - to its credit - the Iyonix reads it flawlessly.

So, we have:
I don't think any of those are the ones we want :(

I'm sure I've seen DinoSaw ("Tarty smart!";) at some point but I can't seem to find it now :frown:
DinoSaw demos are dead easy to come across, so the question is whether this was the full version or not? :o

I've found Gyrinus 2 which is a Tom Cooper game, is that one that can be given away now ?
I think that was PD anyway. :)
Indeed it was :)

I've got various CDs full of old cover discs, so I can probably get a hold of any game demos we need (Hamsters, wavelength and dinosaw being the ones which spring to mind). It's just the full versions that are going to be tricky :(
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Adrian Lees Message #51093, posted by adrianl at 13:11, 11/2/2004, in reply to message #51092
DinoSaw demos are dead easy to come across, so the question is whether this was the full version or not? :o
In that case, don't get your hopes up. I think it must've been on a PD/magazine floppy and - if I can find the enthusiasm for trawling through all the old disks - it'll probably be a demo. Sorry.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Jason Tribbeck Message #51094, posted by tribbles at 14:09, 11/2/2004, in reply to message #51092
tribbles
Captain Helix

The hamsters demo works fine on my 3.71 SA, providing you comment out the 'RMLoad Mode120' line in the !Run file. IIRC the wavelength demo works fine too, but I can't rememember whether I have a copy of the DarkWood demo or not.
Oddly enough, I have (somewhere at home) the source code to Hamsters - or rather a disc labelled 'Hamsters - Sauce' in Tom's handwriting. I rescued it when we were throwing out a lot of the old Acorn gear in the office. I have contemplated doing a port of it to another (mobile) gaming platform, such as N-Gage or GameBoy Advance.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Jeffrey Lee Message #51096, posted by Phlamethrower at 14:12, 11/2/2004, in reply to message #51094

Oddly enough, I have (somewhere at home) the source code to Hamsters - or rather a disc labelled 'Hamsters - Sauce' in Tom's handwriting. I rescued it when we were throwing out a lot of the old Acorn gear in the office. I have contemplated doing a port of it to another (mobile) gaming platform, such as N-Gage or GameBoy Advance.
GBA = Good, N-Gage = Bad, RISC OS = Better :)
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Jason Tribbeck Message #51106, posted by tribbles at 16:17, 11/2/2004, in reply to message #51096
tribbles
Captain Helix

GBA = Good, N-Gage = Bad, RISC OS = Better :)
Let me think:

Shall I port a game from RISC OS to RISC OS? Seems like a pretty easy thing to do :)

Other things:

GBA - I don't have
N-Gage - I do have
RISC OS - I also have

GBA development kit - I don't have
N-Gage development kit - I do have
RISC OS - I also have
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Jeffrey Lee Message #51107, posted by Phlamethrower at 16:29, 11/2/2004, in reply to message #51106

Shall I port a game from RISC OS to RISC OS? Seems like a pretty easy thing to do :)
Go on then, we could do with a copy of the full version of the game ;)

Other things:
But GBA's are proper games machines, not cheap mobile phones pretending to be games machines with tiny screens which are at the wrong angle :o
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Phil Mellor Message #51108, posted by monkeyson2 at 16:32, 11/2/2004, in reply to message #51106

Port it to Arthur :)

Or RISC OS 5, running in a window, or on the iconbar. :E

[Edited by monkeyson2 at 16:41, 11/2/2004]
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Richard Goodwin Message #51109, posted by rich at 16:45, 11/2/2004, in reply to message #51107
Rich
Dictator for life
But GBA's are proper games machines, not cheap mobile phones pretending to be games machines with tiny screens which are at the wrong angle :o
They don't look like you're listening to a techno-croissant when you get a 'phone call either.
________
RichGCheers,
Rich.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Andrew Message #51118, posted by andrew at 18:03, 11/2/2004, in reply to message #51109
HandbagHandbag Boi
:drool:
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Jason Tribbeck Message #51130, posted by tribbles at 10:22, 12/2/2004, in reply to message #51109
tribbles
Captain Helix

They don't look like you're listening to a techno-croissant when you get a 'phone call either.
Techno taco, please!
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Jason Togneri Message #51133, posted by filecore at 11:55, 12/2/2004, in reply to message #51108

Or RISC OS 5, running in a window, or on the iconbar.
I used to have a game called Grey Thunder (okay, okay, it was !GryThunder iirc) and it was a horizontal scrolling spaceship shoot-em-up sort of game. Except that it would have fitted onto the screen of any mobile phone, because it occupied a 1cm by 2cm box on the iconbar. Anyone know the game I mean?

And I am serious about this logging on thing.

There is no user account with the username 'filecorr'. Perhaps you made a typo?
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Jeffrey Lee Message #51135, posted by Phlamethrower at 12:14, 12/2/2004, in reply to message #51133

I used to have a game called Grey Thunder (okay, okay, it was !GryThunder iirc) and it was a horizontal scrolling spaceship shoot-em-up sort of game. Except that it would have fitted onto the screen of any mobile phone, because it occupied a 1cm by 2cm box on the iconbar. Anyone know the game I mean?
!GryThnder :)

Tsk! ;)
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Adrian Lees Message #51136, posted by adrianl at 12:36, 12/2/2004, in reply to message #51135
Tsk! ;)
For a while now I have suspected that :flamethrower: is not a real user but rather a sentient program.
I can now prove this, and furthermore that his code is quite primitive.... like Eliza.

But instead of saying "Tell me more about your family...." :flamethrower:'s default response is "Tsk!" :P
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Jeffrey Lee Message #51137, posted by Phlamethrower at 13:00, 12/2/2004, in reply to message #51136

But instead of saying "Tell me more about your family...." :flamethrower:'s default response is "Tsk!" :P
Tsk! :P
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Andrew Poole Message #51139, posted by andypoole at 13:32, 12/2/2004, in reply to message #51133
andypoole
Mouse enthusiast
Web
Twitter

Or RISC OS 5, running in a window, or on the iconbar.
Yeh! I have this game lurking somewhere :D
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Adrian Lees Message #51140, posted by adrianl at 13:33, 12/2/2004, in reply to message #51137
Your honour, I rest my case ;)
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Phil Mellor Message #51141, posted by monkeyson2 at 13:42, 12/2/2004, in reply to message #51137

I do not know how to "Tsk!".

>
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Richard Goodwin Message #51142, posted by rich at 14:36, 12/2/2004, in reply to message #51141
Rich
Dictator for life
I do not know how to "Tsk!".

>
> man woman
No manual entry for woman

________
RichGCheers,
Rich.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Jeffrey Lee Message #51144, posted by Phlamethrower at 14:45, 12/2/2004, in reply to message #51142

> We were discussing you, not me.
* You like to think I not you, do you not?
> Oh... like to think you not me, do me not?
* Oh, i not you do you not.
> Oh... do me not?

http://www.iconbar.com/forums/viewthread.php?threadid=5041 :E
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Phil Mellor Message #51380, posted by monkeyson2 at 15:12, 16/2/2004, in reply to message #50940

Top Banana and Big Bang.
I don't think anyone really knows who wrote Big Bang (and Revolver), except that they were called Psycore. FWICR there were no credits or anything :o
See here: See here: http://www.stem-arts.com/hex.htm

They've allowed the amiga version of Top Banana to be downloaded - see http://www.back2roots.org/News/News/236/ - from here: http://www.back2roots.org/Games/ADF-Games/T/40/

[Edited by monkeyson2 at 15:13, 16/2/2004]
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Jeffrey Lee Message #51381, posted by Phlamethrower at 15:23, 16/2/2004, in reply to message #51380

They've allowed the amiga version of Top Banana to be downloaded - see http://www.back2roots.org/News/News/236/ - from here: http://www.back2roots.org/Games/ADF-Games/T/40/
Ask them about the Acorn version then :)
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Michael Drake Message #51391, posted by tlsa at 17:47, 16/2/2004, in reply to message #51381

I've had a look through my old magazine disks and found the following demos:

Hamsters
"Exclusive playable level from Games Ware"
Archimedes World - July 1994, Mega Diskasarus 1

Wavelength
"Try out the new blockbuster from GamesWare"
Acorn User - March 1995

Big Bang
"The best platform game since Sonic? See for yourself with our exclusive demo"
Archimedes World - May 1995, Mega Diskasarus 1

Revolver
"From the guys that brought you Big Bang!"
Archimedes World - November 1995, Mega Diskasarus 2

[Edited by tlsa at 17:48, 16/2/2004]
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Michael Drake Message #51392, posted by tlsa at 17:57, 16/2/2004, in reply to message #51391

Also:

Quark
"EXCLUSIVE shoot-em-up DEMO"
Archimedes World - October 1993 Mega Diskasaurus

:)
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Jeffrey Lee Message #51393, posted by Phlamethrower at 18:09, 16/2/2004, in reply to message #51392

(Actually I've got all of those demos myself (except possibly Quark), but it's the thought that counts ;))

I've got the DinoSaw demo from Acorn Computing issue somethingsomethingsomething, too. However we still seem to be missing people with full copies of the games :|
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Michael Drake Message #51394, posted by tlsa at 18:28, 16/2/2004, in reply to message #51393

(Actually I've got all of those demos myself (except possibly Quark), but it's the thought that counts ;))

I've found another Quark demo:

Quark
"Oregan's latest shoot-'em-up blockbuster"
Acorn User - August 1993, Free Subscriber's Disc

I've got the DinoSaw demo from Acorn Computing issue somethingsomethingsomething, too. However we still seem to be missing people with full copies of the games :|
Don't think I ever played DinoSaw. :o

Maybe we could explain the situation to an Acorn Dealer and ask if they have any copies in stock. If they could e-mail us the games, we could get started. Alternativly, we could post to csa.games or do an Acorn Arcade article, asking for people to send us a copy.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Richard Goodwin Message #51414, posted by rich at 10:10, 17/2/2004, in reply to message #51394
Rich
Dictator for life
Maybe we could explain the situation to an Acorn Dealer and ask if they have any copies in stock. If they could e-mail us the games, we could get started.
So, we tell someone who's selling these games for a living that, if they send us a free copy, we'll offer these things for free and do them out of a profit? I think I know what the response would be. Probably two words. At least one word would be "off". ;)
________
RichGCheers,
Rich.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Phil Mellor Message #51415, posted by monkeyson2 at 10:18, 17/2/2004, in reply to message #51414

Bother. The one berty/eclipse game I've got - DarkWood - appears to be on CJE/4D's books: http://www.cjemicros.co.uk/4d/games/index.html
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Michael Drake Message #51416, posted by tlsa at 10:23, 17/2/2004, in reply to message #51415

Bother. The one berty/eclipse game I've got - DarkWood - appears to be on CJE/4D's books: http://www.cjemicros.co.uk/4d/games/index.html
:o I always thought it was published by Argonet / Eclipse.

http://www.acorn-gaming.org.uk/index.php3?p=Reviews/Darkwood/index
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Pages (5): |< < 3 > >|

The Icon Bar: The Playpen: Getting the rights to old games