User accounts
Register new account
Forgot password
Forum stats
List of members
Search the forums

Advanced search
Recent discussions
- R-Comp reveals N.Ex.T Boxes - the successor to the i.MX6 (News:)
- RISCOSbits at Wakefield Show 2024 (News:)
- R-Comp releases Genealogy v2 (News:)
- Will we see 5.30 released at Wakefield show? (News:1)
- Sine Nomine updates RiscOSM and Impact (News:)
- Netfetch version 5.55 released (News:)
- Prizes for Wakefield Show announced (News:)
- Heretic update from R-Comp (News:)
- Wakefield Show 2024 is next Saturday (News:)
- Git client updated to 0.07 (News:2)
Latest postings RSS Feeds
RSS 2.0 | 1.0 | 0.9
Atom 0.3
Misc RDF | CDF

View on Mastodon
@www.iconbar.com@rss-parrot.net
Site Search

Article archives
The Icon Bar: The Playpen: Grumbles!

Grumbles!
  This is a long thread. Click here to view the threaded list.

JMB Message #56378, posted by jmb at 20:26, 29/6/2004, in reply to message #56350
Oh, and O2 still doesn't correctly (never mind efficiently) redraw the text in edit boxes

You should see NetSurf. :P
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Simon Wilson Message #56379, posted by ksattic at 20:50, 29/6/2004, in reply to message #56378
ksattic
Finally, an avatar!

Oh, and O2 still doesn't correctly (never mind efficiently) redraw the text in edit boxes

What is it with multi-line edit boxes? They're either deathly slow, broken, or they don't work quite how you'd expect (a la Toolbox). Is it an impossible task in RISC OS to make a decent multi-line edit box? :|
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Adrian Lees Message #56380, posted by adrianl at 20:54, 29/6/2004, in reply to message #56364
Perhaps I'm not understanding this, but by definition don't regular (tall-pixel) rectangular pixel modes give you less scan lines (and thus less text lines?

Fewer scan lines, yes. Fewer text lines, no, at least not in StrongED. At the command line, you get more (the system font's always rendered at 8x8, right?) and perhaps I could reconfigure StrongED but the low frame-rate keeps me away from 1024x768.

I'll get a nice LCD panel one day...
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Adrian Lees Message #56381, posted by adrianl at 20:55, 29/6/2004, in reply to message #56378

I have.... that's one of the reasons I asked you about the source code ;)

One other reason is that NetSurf's support for non-rectangular pixels (in OS units->pixel terms!) has been getting steadily worse ;) I have to keep changing into 1024 x 768 just to use NetSurf (and O2) :o
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Adrian Lees Message #56382, posted by adrianl at 21:00, 29/6/2004, in reply to message #56379

What is it with multi-line edit boxes? They're either deathly slow, broken, or they don't work quite how you'd expect (a la Toolbox). Is it an impossible task in RISC OS to make a decent multi-line edit box? :|

D'ya know, I nearly wrote that earlier! And it's not just on RISC OS, I have little respect for those in IE which redraw needlessly large areas IIRC....though they do at least allow text selection (hint, hint!) and clipboards operations.

It's something that requires more thought to get right and I think programmers tend to take the easy route :(

Browse does a much better job, BTW....maybe just using the ToolBox gadget? When you say 'a la Toolbox' do you mean that it does work as expected, or not?
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

JMB Message #56383, posted by jmb at 21:04, 29/6/2004, in reply to message #56381

I have.... that's one of the reasons I asked you about the source code ;)

;)
One other reason is that NetSurf's support for non-rectangular pixels (in OS units->pixel terms!) has been getting steadily worse ;)

I blame hardcoded eigvalues (though in some places the correct ones are actually read. go figure) :o
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Simon Wilson Message #56384, posted by ksattic at 21:19, 29/6/2004, in reply to message #56382
ksattic
Finally, an avatar!

When you say 'a la Toolbox' do you mean that it does work as expected, or not?
The last time I used the multi-line writable box Toolbox gadget, deselections didn't work as expected (kinda like deselecting text in writable icons in Select - try it) and it was fairly slow.

How can Ovation Pro/Impression/Zap/StrongEd be so quick yet simple multi-line writable icons are so slow? :frown:
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Andrew Poole Message #56385, posted by andypoole at 21:47, 29/6/2004, in reply to message #56366
andypoole
Mouse enthusiast
Web
Twitter

Depends how you set the minotor up to stretch the image.
Minotours can do that?

Learn to spell :P

Andy. *Must remember to sign things and send emails tomorrow morning*
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Simon Wilson Message #56386, posted by ksattic at 22:15, 29/6/2004, in reply to message #56385
ksattic
Finally, an avatar!

Minotours can do that?

No, he said minotor! Learn to copy! :P
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Chris Message #56387, posted by cterran at 22:17, 29/6/2004, in reply to message #56350
Try the Lanai skin at the O2 Smartgroups site. Looks nicer, and improves the text-box handling a bit. And the drop-down hotlists are useful, too.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Adrian Lees Message #56389, posted by adrianl at 22:30, 29/6/2004, in reply to message #56383
....source code

;)

Oh, one more question - what do you use to expand the tarball into a RISC OS friendly directory structure?

ie. so that NetSurf/riscos/about.c

comes out as NetSurf.riscos.c.about

AFAICS this is necessary even for GCC and personally I've always preferred having header and source files in separate directories since they usually have the same name (name.c/name.h). Surely there must be a better way than manually moving & renaming everything?! :o
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Chris Message #56390, posted by cterran at 22:40, 29/6/2004, in reply to message #56389
Oh, one more question - what do you use to expand the tarball into a RISC OS friendly directory structure?

ie. so that NetSurf/riscos/about.c

comes out as NetSurf.riscos.c.about
Try Peter Naulls' Reverser:

http://www.chocky.org/software/
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Phil Mellor Message #56391, posted by monkeyson2 at 22:45, 29/6/2004, in reply to message #56386
monkeyson2Please don't let them make me be a monkey butler

Minotours can do that?

No, he said minotor! Learn to copy! :P
The dictionary is a reflection, not a rulebook :)
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Adrian Lees Message #56392, posted by adrianl at 23:08, 29/6/2004, in reply to message #56385

Minotours can do that?

Oh, look, somebody has to do it....

It's spelt minotaur :P :P :P

assuming you mean the man/bull beast from Greek mythology

Edit: somebody stole a word from my sentence! :o BTW, where do the tags ('b' , 'small' and friends) go when you try to edit a post?

[Edited by adrianl at 23:10, 29/6/2004]
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Richard Goodwin Message #56405, posted by rich at 10:05, 30/6/2004, in reply to message #56385
Rich
Dictator for life
Yes, I believe the job offer expires Friday. If you don't have the documents on Christine's desk by then, you don't get to sleep with Paul Vigay ;)
________
RichGCheers,
Rich.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Phil Mellor Message #56407, posted by monkeyson2 at 10:27, 30/6/2004, in reply to message #56405
monkeyson2Please don't let them make me be a monkey butler

Yes, I believe the job offer expires Friday. If you don't have the documents on Christine's desk by then, you don't get to sleep with Paul Vigay ;)
All part of Argonet's friendly new "customer service" :P
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Andrew Duffell Message #56408, posted by ad at 10:40, 30/6/2004, in reply to message #56407

All part of Argonet's friendly new "customer service" :P
9|9|9|9|9|:moss:9|9|
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Andrew Poole Message #56410, posted by andypoole at 10:58, 30/6/2004, in reply to message #56405
andypoole
Mouse enthusiast
Web
Twitter

:o

*runs to post box, returns, grabs envelope, runs back to post box, posts, runs home, finishes typing this post*

^[ Log in to reply ]

Andrew Duffell Message #56412, posted by ad at 11:19, 30/6/2004, in reply to message #56410

*runs to post box, returns, grabs envelope, runs back to post box, posts, runs home, finishes typing this post*

:andypoole: :heart: |paulvigay|

9|
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Jeffrey Lee Message #56427, posted by Phlamethrower at 18:41, 30/6/2004, in reply to message #56410
PhlamethrowerHot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot stuff

Did you remember the stamp? :P
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Adrian Lees Message #56430, posted by adrianl at 19:21, 30/6/2004, in reply to message #56427

In 3 days time the letter's going to arrive back through his letterbox because, in his haste, he wrote his own address on the envelope instead! :P
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Andrew Poole Message #56435, posted by andypoole at 20:32, 30/6/2004, in reply to message #56430
andypoole
Mouse enthusiast
Web
Twitter

In 3 days time the letter's going to arrive back through his letterbox because, in his haste, he wrote his own address on the envelope instead! :P
Oh shit.

Yes, I put :richardfoster:'s address on it, and I did put a stamp on it :P
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

JMB Message #56436, posted by jmb at 22:18, 30/6/2004, in reply to message #56389

I'd use John Tytgat's CVS port to check it out, personally. It does all the hard work for you ;)

Anyway, have you got it built yet? You'll probably find that it asserts when opening the default page. If so, you'll need http://www.ecs.soton.ac.uk/~jmb202/riscos/netsurf/parser.h 'cos the one on the developer site is out of date.
If you want to build with Norcroft, give us a shout and I'll see if I can remember how to prod the build system so it works ;) Either way, it all needs linking against Unixlib.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Pages (2): |< < 2

The Icon Bar: The Playpen: Grumbles!