User accounts
Register new account
Forgot password
Forum stats
List of members
Search the forums

Advanced search
Recent discussions
- Upgrading your RISC OS system to 5.30 (News:2)
- WROCC May 2024 meeting on wednesday - Gerph talks games (News:)
- Wakefield Show 2024 in Pictures (News:4)
- RISC OS 5.30 arrives (News:1)
- April 2024 News Summary (News:1)
- uniprint upgraded to 4.50 (News:)
- PhotoDesk 3.23 released (News:)
- R-Comp reveals N.Ex.T Boxes - the successor to the i.MX6 (News:)
- RISCOSbits at Wakefield Show 2024 (News:)
- R-Comp releases Genealogy v2 (News:)
Latest postings RSS Feeds
RSS 2.0 | 1.0 | 0.9
Atom 0.3
Misc RDF | CDF

View on Mastodon
@www.iconbar.com@rss-parrot.net
Site Search

Article archives
The Icon Bar: The Playpen: Games, eh?

Games, eh?
  This is a long thread. Click here to view the threaded list.

Jeffrey Lee Message #105275, posted by Phlamethrower at 08:43, 15/11/2007, in reply to message #105264
PhlamethrowerHot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot stuff

shock
gringrin
DroolDroolDrool
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Jeffrey Lee Message #105439, posted by Phlamethrower at 20:32, 24/11/2007, in reply to message #105275

TARDIS spotted in Hellgate, there.
Hellgate_mp_dx9_x86 2007-11-24 19-49-12-17.jpg 1280x1024 99.1KB
Hellgate_mp_...
1280x1024
99.1KB

^[ Log in to reply ]

Rob Kendrick Message #105444, posted by nunfetishist at 00:20, 25/11/2007, in reply to message #105439
nunfetishist
Today's phish is trout a la creme.

Is that Hellgate London? It looks like a gash game from 5 years ago - have you got the quality turned down or something? smile
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Jeffrey Lee Message #105448, posted by Phlamethrower at 08:21, 25/11/2007, in reply to message #105444

Is that Hellgate London?
Yes.

It looks like a gash game from 5 years ago
Yes.

have you got the quality turned down or something? smile
Yes. Although IIRC that's actually "Medium" texture quality shock

The game has some rather serious problems with memory fragmentation, so since my computer is quite near the minimum spec memory-wise, I thought it would be best to stick with crappier graphics until the fragmentation gets sorted.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Jeffrey Lee Message #105455, posted by Phlamethrower at 12:52, 25/11/2007, in reply to message #105448

Hmm shock

[edit]

That mod appears to be more akin to my Quake DM map than a proper Cube simulation. There's no game dll, so I know that there isn't any new code to run a simulation of the (hyper)cube; and through a quick play with noclip turned on it looks like the cube is just a 5x5x5 series of identical physical rooms, using teleporters to turn it into a near-infinite maze (like my Quake DM map). If you do manage to escape, there's not much to do except to sit and camp for other people to turn up - it doesn't look like there's any way of getting back into the cube with extra weapons or anything (the only weapon you do get while inside the cube are boots - aka reskinned grenades, which is a nice touch but rather unrealistic and useless for trap detection).

[Edited by Phlamethrower at 13:48, 25/11/2007]
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Richard Goodwin Message #105506, posted by rich at 20:52, 29/11/2007, in reply to message #105448
Rich
Dictator for life
Yes. Although IIRC that's actually "Medium" texture quality
my computer is quite near the minimum spec
Seems to me that anyone that has problems with the graphics seems to not have a decent graphics card and/or computer. To which I say, what do you expect?

Not that I'm a Hellgate apologist, not having liked the demo enough to shell out for a copy. I'm just saying that I don't think the graphics were the problem.
________
RichGCheers,
Rich.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Jeffrey Lee Message #105510, posted by Phlamethrower at 23:21, 29/11/2007, in reply to message #105506

Yes. Although IIRC that's actually "Medium" texture quality
my computer is quite near the minimum spec
Seems to me that anyone that has problems with the graphics seems to not have a decent graphics card and/or computer. To which I say, what do you expect?
I expect it to look as good as other games that I can run on my computer at a decent framerate. There's nothing groundbreaking that hellgate does, and no real reason for it to run poorly except for poor engine coding. The AI? It was deliberately kept simple. Physics? Also simple. Maybe the dynamic level generator means that rendering or other tasks take longer? No, that's not an excuse either - Doom 3 is able to use dynamically generated levels without any problems.

So, in a way, you're right - the graphics aren't the problem. The problem is that the poor engine coding means that if you run the game at the correct settings you'll crash or lockup all the time due to memory fragmentation.

[Edited by Phlamethrower at 23:24, 29/11/2007]
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Richard Goodwin Message #105536, posted by rich at 17:55, 1/12/2007, in reply to message #105510
Rich
Dictator for life
I expect it to look as good as other games that I can run on my computer at a decent framerate.
That sounds a bit like "Why doesn't Firefox run on my A3000?" tongue

I can't say if the coding's poor or not - but I have a machine that's above minimum spec, and didn't have any problems with the demo... well, beyond it being a bit repetitive. And it not respecting the headshot conventions of proper FPS-type games.

My machine, BTW, is now so un-leet I have had to buy yet another graphics card after slowdowns in Crysis which made the end boss battle a bit tricky.
________
RichGCheers,
Rich.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Jeffrey Lee Message #105543, posted by Phlamethrower at 19:44, 1/12/2007, in reply to message #105536

My machine, BTW, is now so un-leet I have had to buy yet another graphics card after slowdowns in Crysis which made the end boss battle a bit tricky.
That's just the excuse you gave yourself. You could have lowered the graphics quality a bit if you wanted wink
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Richard Goodwin Message #105545, posted by rich at 22:59, 1/12/2007, in reply to message #105543
Rich
Dictator for life
That's just the excuse you gave yourself. You could have lowered the graphics quality a bit if you wanted wink
I already did when you're in that quarry and Prophet's suit is malfunctioning unhappy
________
RichGCheers,
Rich.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Jeffrey Lee Message #105711, posted by Phlamethrower at 15:52, 17/12/2007, in reply to message #105545

Is it me, or does this look too much like the sentry guns in Portal?

http://www.techeblog.com/index.php/tech-gadget/pictures-microsoft-s-portable-pc-theater-sports-built-in-projector

I wouldn't trust it to play a movie for me. It would probably shoot me if I tried moving from my seat! unhappy
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Andrew Poole Message #105712, posted by andypoole at 17:03, 17/12/2007, in reply to message #105711
andypoole
Mouse enthusiast
Web
Twitter

Is it me, or does this look too much like the sentry guns in Portal?

http://www.techeblog.com/index.php/tech-gadget/pictures-microsoft-s-portable-pc-theater-sports-built-in-projector

I wouldn't trust it to play a movie for me. It would probably shoot me if I tried moving from my seat! unhappy
Or every so often in the movie it'd say "Are you still there? There you are!"
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Andrew Poole Message #105803, posted by andypoole at 20:53, 27/12/2007, in reply to message #105712
andypoole
Mouse enthusiast
Web
Twitter

Hm. Call of Duty 4's quite a short game, then. It might've been more tense if the timed levels didn't give you ample time that you have NINE MINUTES left at the end of one of them..

But it was a fairly good game, IMO.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Jeffrey Lee Message #105857, posted by Phlamethrower at 09:07, 4/1/2008, in reply to message #105803

Lukewarm piss! MTA:SA Deathmatch preview release!

http://www.multitheftauto.com/85.html

Now to wait until tonight, when I'll probably discover that playing it isn't that interesting.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Andrew Poole Message #105858, posted by andypoole at 09:22, 4/1/2008, in reply to message #105857
andypoole
Mouse enthusiast
Web
Twitter

Lukewarm piss! MTA:SA Deathmatch preview release!

http://www.multitheftauto.com/85.html

Now to wait until tonight, when I'll probably discover that playing it isn't that interesting.

I played a version of MTA:SA a while back. The biggest problem with it is that the map is so bloody huge you can go for ages without seeing anybody, or spawn miles away from the other players.

It'd be better with some custom maps for multiplayer that include just a small area. Hopefully that's what they'll do.

It wasn't *quite* so bad with Vice City, since that was fairly small, but San Andreas is just too big.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Jeffrey Lee Message #105860, posted by Phlamethrower at 10:54, 4/1/2008, in reply to message #105858

I played a version of MTA:SA a while back.
Deathmatch? How? shock

The biggest problem with it is that the map is so bloody huge you can go for ages without seeing anybody, or spawn miles away from the other players.
I've tried playing SA-MP for deathmatch in the past. But lag/desync seems to make killing people almost impossible, and 90% of servers seem to be running the game with an RPG-like mod - so you have to grind for money to buy weapons. So it's basically not deathmatch. And all the fun weapons/vehicles (rocket launcher, tanks, etc.) are all restricted! (Either because they're too powerful or don't work properly)

The only remotely deathmatch aspect was a last-man-standing minigame where you get teleported to a sealed off part of the map, get given a weapon, and have to kill off everyone else.

Hopefully MTA:SA DM will be better. One of the main reasons it's taken so long for them to release it is that they've spent a lot of time making sure there's no lag/desyncs, and that all the vehicles/weapons work. But they've also spent a lot of time working on lots of different game modes, so I'll have to wait and see whether they're actually better than a plain old deathmatch.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Andrew Poole Message #105866, posted by andypoole at 13:19, 4/1/2008, in reply to message #105860
andypoole
Mouse enthusiast
Web
Twitter

I played a version of MTA:SA a while back.
Deathmatch? How? shock

The biggest problem with it is that the map is so bloody huge you can go for ages without seeing anybody, or spawn miles away from the other players.
I've tried playing SA-MP for deathmatch in the past. But lag/desync seems to make killing people almost impossible, and 90% of servers seem to be running the game with an RPG-like mod - so you have to grind for money to buy weapons. So it's basically not deathmatch. And all the fun weapons/vehicles (rocket launcher, tanks, etc.) are all restricted! (Either because they're too powerful or don't work properly)
It could have been that I tried before, I can't remember, it was a while ago. tongue

The only remotely deathmatch aspect was a last-man-standing minigame where you get teleported to a sealed off part of the map, get given a weapon, and have to kill off everyone else.

Hopefully MTA:SA DM will be better. One of the main reasons it's taken so long for them to release it is that they've spent a lot of time making sure there's no lag/desyncs, and that all the vehicles/weapons work. But they've also spent a lot of time working on lots of different game modes, so I'll have to wait and see whether they're actually better than a plain old deathmatch.
Yeah, I might give it a try later. I need to install GTA:SA first, though smile

[Edited by andypoole at 13:23, 4/1/2008]
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Jeffrey Lee Message #105880, posted by Phlamethrower at 23:02, 4/1/2008, in reply to message #105866

Yeah, I might give it a try later. I need to install GTA:SA first, though smile

[Edited by andypoole at 13:23, 4/1/2008]
It works! Well, except that it just crashed.

Luckily I didn't need to fiddle around reinstalling GTA:SA.

The mod still seems a bit rough at the moment - but shooting people seems a lot more reliable than it was in SA-MP. Getting into and out of cars seemed a bit laggy, but I'm not sure if that was just my connection to the server or the game itself, since the ping column on the scoreboard was all zero's.

Also, judging by my incredibly representative sample of 1 server, only about a quarter of the players on each server will be actively seeking out the goal for the current gamemode. The rest will be fooling around, just playing it as deathmatch, teamkilling (if appropriate), or swearing a lot and accusing everyone else of cheating.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Richard Goodwin Message #105884, posted by rich at 14:58, 5/1/2008, in reply to message #105880
Rich
Dictator for life
The rest will be fooling around, just playing it as deathmatch, teamkilling (if appropriate), or swearing a lot and accusing everyone else of cheating.
This is why I don't play with people I don't know, even in games that try and force you to *cough*WoW*cough*. On top of the usual spammers, scammers, players that don't know what the fuck they're doing and end up getting you killed, guild recruiters and whatever, trying playing as a female avatar - you have the added fun of "amusing" chat-up merchants and crazy stalkers.

In fact, playing online games these days can be just like running a forum, but with all the crap coming at you in real time, during your relax time big grin
________
RichGCheers,
Rich.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Jeffrey Lee Message #105886, posted by Phlamethrower at 22:55, 5/1/2008, in reply to message #105884

The rest will be fooling around, just playing it as deathmatch, teamkilling (if appropriate), or swearing a lot and accusing everyone else of cheating.
This is why I don't play with people I don't know, even in games that try and force you to *cough*WoW*cough*. On top of the usual spammers, scammers, players that don't know what the fuck they're doing and end up getting you killed, guild recruiters and whatever, trying playing as a female avatar - you have the added fun of "amusing" chat-up merchants and crazy stalkers.
...and that's why you find a good server, and then stick to it. (Although for WoW, "good server" == "play a different MMO entirely")

Addition to my above list of problems: If the server supports votes, you'll likely have votes starting every 1/2 minutes. And if the vote is to change game mode, you can guarantee that (a) good game modes will be changed when they've only just started (b) you'll get stuck in bad game modes for hours. But if you find a good server (i.e. one that doesn't allow general users to start votes) then that obviously isn't a problem.

Out of the 10ish game modes that I've tried, capture the vehicle seems to be the only particularly good one. (Hay is good as well, but will get boring a lot quicker). Capture the Orb seems to be similar to Capture the Vehicle, so is presumably similarly as good - but I don't know how good because the other idiots on the server voted for a different game mode only a couple of minutes after it had started. And plain deathmatch doesn't seem to be that good - the game isn't really designed for fast running and gunning.

Interestingly, I haven't seen a territorial control gamemode yet. You'd think that would have been one of the first ones they'd tried, considering the size of the map and the singleplayer games' emphasis on territorial control.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Jeffrey Lee Message #105971, posted by Phlamethrower at 04:38, 12/1/2008, in reply to message #105886

Capture the Vehicle
I've just been accused of cheating/hacking 3 times in one game. I think that's a new record for me! Although the 3rd person also accused the admin of cheating when he came to investigate the claim against me.

And then later on we all had a big laugh at two people who claimed they were going to bring down the server because their friend got banned. And then said it was all just a joke. And then said they were going to take it down again. etc.

And then later on two of the enemy teams decided that because we were doing so well it was just easiest to camp our base to stop us getting in/out (but mainly me, since I seemed to be the best driver - and so driving the target vehicle the most). Except that plan didn't work either, and we just slaughtered them all.

And then they went and hid in their own base and challenged us to come get them. And then the game crashed unhappy

Oh well, I guess 4:30 is a good enough time to go to bed tongue
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Jeffrey Lee Message #106070, posted by Phlamethrower at 20:06, 17/1/2008, in reply to message #105971

http://uk.pc.ign.com/articles/846/846041p1.html

Looks like a promising idea.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Jason Togneri Message #106152, posted by filecore at 08:52, 22/1/2008, in reply to message #106070

Well I dunno about other games, but I took something of a chance and I've just discovered - against all my assumptions for a top-of-the-line modern game - that Crysis runs just fine on my machine grin and it loads a damn sight faster than HL2 ever did.

Minimum processor: 2.8GHz P4
My processor: 2.8GHz P4
Minimum RAM: 1GB
My RAM: 2GB
Minimum graphics: nVidia 6800
My graphics: nVidia 7600

Nice. Even though auto-detection sets all graphics to "low" and puts me on 800x600 resolution, to be honest, it's a computer game. I don't expect it to look like real life and I'm quite sure that even on the highest-performing machine it wouldn't look like real life. It plays smoothly and the graphics look good even on "low" settings. Yay!
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Jeffrey Lee Message #106154, posted by Phlamethrower at 09:06, 22/1/2008, in reply to message #106152

Nice. Even though auto-detection sets all graphics to "low" and puts me on 800x600 resolution, to be honest, it's a computer game. I don't expect it to look like real life and I'm quite sure that even on the highest-performing machine it wouldn't look like real life. It plays smoothly and the graphics look good even on "low" settings. Yay!
The graphics look good on "low" settings? Are you blind? Maybe they'd look good in 2000, but not in 2007! I think that if you put the shader+texture detail up to Medium then it will look a lot better. (Although I can't remember whether it is those two options that give the most improvement).
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Jason Togneri Message #106156, posted by filecore at 11:01, 22/1/2008, in reply to message #106154

The graphics look good on "low" settings? Are you blind? Maybe they'd look good in 2000, but not in 2007!
You think that because lower graphic settings don't suit you personally that everyone who doesn't want them (because it suits them) is blind? That's crazy!

This is my problem with these kinds of discussions. I've got no problem with people discussing what they do or don't like in a platform game/console game/whatever - but all too often it seems to degenerate into "it doesn't suit me, therefore it's rubbish, and anyone who wants it differently is completely wrong". It's pretty pathetic.
crysis.jpg 800x600 57.8KB
crysis.jpg
800x600
57.8KB

^[ Log in to reply ]

Jeffrey Lee Message #106157, posted by Phlamethrower at 11:57, 22/1/2008, in reply to message #106156

The graphics look good on "low" settings? Are you blind? Maybe they'd look good in 2000, but not in 2007!
You think that because lower graphic settings don't suit you personally that everyone who doesn't want them (because it suits them) is blind?
Yes!

I've got no problem with people discussing what they do or don't like in a platform game/console game/whatever
OK then.

I don't like object popup. If you play Crysis on low settings, there will be lots of object popup.
I don't like not knowing whether the person I'm shooting at is stood out in the open or is hiding behind an invisible rock. If you play Crysis on low settings, until you move closer to someone you won't know for sure whether there's a rock in the way or not.
I don't like not knowing which path to take to keep hidden in bushes/etc. if half the cover is invisible. If you play Crysis on low settings, until you move closer to your destination you won't know whether it's behind cover or not.
I don't feel that the gameplay of Crysis is anything particularly special.
I don't feel that the storyline of Crysis is anything particularly special.

So in summary: There isn't much for me to enjoy if I play Crysis on low settings.

If I play it on medium settings then, although the gameplay and storyline may be fairly so-so, I can at least look at all the pretty graphics.

Maybe you can explain to me what's so good about playing Crysis that it can be enjoyed while playing on low settings?
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

VinceH Message #106160, posted by VincceH at 12:35, 22/1/2008, in reply to message #106157
VincceH
Lowering the tone since the dawn of time

I don't like not knowing which path to take to keep hidden in bushes/etc. if half the cover is invisible.
So, in summary, what you are saying that there are actual authentic real genuine bona fide legitimate technical reasons for not playing this game on the low settings, rather than it just being the "I don't like it, so everyone who does is an idiot" type of thing to which Jason objected? tongue
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Jeffrey Lee Message #106161, posted by Phlamethrower at 12:42, 22/1/2008, in reply to message #106160

Yes.

This only proves that he is blind, because if he wasn't blind he would have noticed that the object popup is likely to impede his gameplay smile
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Jason Togneri Message #106163, posted by filecore at 14:40, 22/1/2008, in reply to message #106160

So, in summary, what you are saying that there are actual authentic real genuine bona fide legitimate technical reasons for not playing this game on the low settings, rather than it just being the "I don't like it, so everyone who does is an idiot" type of thing to which Jason objected? tongue
Of course there are, and I can use slightly higher settings to avoid popup - just not the highest. But seriously, I think those graphics are perfectly acceptable. It's always going to just look like a game, so I'm not picky. Phlamey is probably one of those types who argue about MP3 bitrates and stuff. Who cares if it's 128 or 192kbps when my ears only operate on "low" settings anyway? I sure as hell can't tell the difference, and it doesn't bother me (and wouldn't even if I could). There's no sense in getting upset that my graphics are more than one year old - that's the reality in the computing world unless you happen to be very rich.

As for the rest of it, I was simply trolling (did you notice almost all of my argument was a cut and paste?).

[Edited by filecore at 14:42, 22/1/2008]
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Jeffrey Lee Message #106164, posted by Phlamethrower at 14:57, 22/1/2008, in reply to message #106163

Phlamey is probably one of those types who argue about MP3 bitrates and stuff.
No I'm not! If you're going to troll, at least get your facts straight tongue

(did you notice almost all of my argument was a cut and paste?).
Yes - but if I hadn't had responded to it, you wouldn't have had a very fun argument, would you?
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Pages (6): |< < 5 > >|

The Icon Bar: The Playpen: Games, eh?