User accounts
Register new account
Forgot password
Forum stats
List of members
Search the forums

Advanced search
Recent discussions
- Upgrading your RISC OS system to 5.30 (News:2)
- WROCC May 2024 meeting on wednesday - Gerph talks games (News:)
- Wakefield Show 2024 in Pictures (News:4)
- RISC OS 5.30 arrives (News:1)
- April 2024 News Summary (News:1)
- uniprint upgraded to 4.50 (News:)
- PhotoDesk 3.23 released (News:)
- R-Comp reveals N.Ex.T Boxes - the successor to the i.MX6 (News:)
- RISCOSbits at Wakefield Show 2024 (News:)
- R-Comp releases Genealogy v2 (News:)
Latest postings RSS Feeds
RSS 2.0 | 1.0 | 0.9
Atom 0.3
Misc RDF | CDF

View on Mastodon
@www.iconbar.com@rss-parrot.net
Site Search

Article archives
The Icon Bar: The Playpen: Over the summer V: Oh god not another Rocky movie

Over the summer V: Oh god not another Rocky movie
  This is a long thread. Click here to view the threaded list.

Jeffrey Lee Message #80298, posted by Phlamethrower at 21:36, 15/9/2006, in reply to message #80294
PhlamethrowerHot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot stuff

http://picodrive.atspace.com/ and
http://notaz.atspace.com/index.html
Adrian's pointed out that these sites don't have source.
Well, all we need to do is provide appropriate pokeage to the authors.
Have you e-mailed them?
Not yet, no :o
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Michael Drake Message #80299, posted by tlsa at 21:42, 15/9/2006, in reply to message #80296

Pretty :)
Thanks. :)

I designed it to the standards and tested in NetSurf. So it should work in pretty much all modern browsers. (Firefox, Opera, Konq., Safari, etc.)

Except IE.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Michael Drake Message #80312, posted by tlsa at 10:45, 16/9/2006, in reply to message #80113

My next improvement will be to the screen rendering, so that it keeps a list of redraw rectangles and draws only within those rectangles ;) The plan is to make the DMA-based rendering into a small, self-contained library that will cope with the very different DMA hardware found on the Iyonix and A9home, so you'll see the source - particularly in video_out.c is a bit of a dog's breakfast currently.
Cool. :)

In fullscreen mode, could the screensaver be turned off? I was playing with a joypad in fullscreen mode and the screensaver kept comming on. I'm not sure if it comes on if you use the keyboard.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Jeffrey Lee Message #80314, posted by Phlamethrower at 14:11, 16/9/2006, in reply to message #80312

That'll be a bug in the joypad drivers, surely?
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Michael Drake Message #80315, posted by tlsa at 14:27, 16/9/2006, in reply to message #80314

Maybe. But most games switch between title screen and attract mode, showing somone else playing various levels, while the game isn't being used so it shouldn't cause screen burn problems. Maybe it could be an option to disable screensaver in fullscreen mode.

Did you see my comments on NS textareas at the end of the last page of the thread?
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Jeffrey Lee Message #80316, posted by Phlamethrower at 14:36, 16/9/2006, in reply to message #80315

Did you see my comments on NS textareas at the end of the last page of the thread?
Yeah, I guess I'll do some more work on those soon.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Michael Drake Message #80324, posted by tlsa at 18:47, 16/9/2006, in reply to message #80315

Maybe.
I've e-mailed the HID author about this. I think joypad activity should stop the screensaver from comming on.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Jeffrey Lee Message #80444, posted by Phlamethrower at 22:49, 21/9/2006, in reply to message #80324

Ah.... ahem, yes!

Well you see, my chums in EVE have a nasty habit of getting themselves into trouble. And I seem to have somehow mad myself into a valuable asset to them. This, apart from my latent procrastination, is usually why I never get any work done :P
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Adrian Lees Message #80449, posted by adrianl at 12:19, 22/9/2006, in reply to message #80444
Ah.... ahem, yes!

Well you see, my chums in EVE have a nasty habit of getting themselves into trouble. And I seem to have somehow mad myself into a valuable asset to them. This, apart from my latent procrastination, is usually why I never get any work done :P
Oh? I've moved the blitting code into a library called Blitz - :E - which will be an open source video rendering library that uses DMA hardware where available so that other projects like video players and emulators can just create a number of image buffers, specify a list of clip rects (for operation in the desktop) and then call _switch_output() at the appropriate time. Blitz will output the appropriate portions of the current display buffer, probably with screen banking (full screen) and flyback-syncing.

No surprise that the code/techniques come from Cino and the library will be used by it.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Jeffrey Lee Message #80452, posted by Phlamethrower at 13:05, 22/9/2006, in reply to message #80449

an open source video rendering library that uses DMA hardware where available
Woo!
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Michael Drake Message #80475, posted by tlsa at 12:22, 23/9/2006, in reply to message #80452

I think it would be good if we could launch the site and first PicoDrive release this weekend.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Andrew Message #80477, posted by andrew at 13:27, 23/9/2006, in reply to message #80295
HandbagHandbag Boi
http://adrian.aemulor.com/downloads/picodrive.zip

I expect that to move onto the official site as soon as tlsa has finished his beautiful handiwork.
http://picodrive.acornarcade.com/test.html

Screenshots, Compatibility and Mega Drive section not done yet. Enough done to launch anyway. The download links don't actually point to anything yet either. Once the downloads are sorted out, I'll move the front page to http://picodrive.acornarcade.com/

[Edited by tlsa at 20:59, 15/9/2006]
Are there any games with Acorn relevance that were released for the Megadrive?
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Michael Drake Message #80478, posted by tlsa at 13:45, 23/9/2006, in reply to message #80477

Are there any games with Acorn relevance that were released for the Megadrive?
Not sure what you mean. The only things I can think of are multi platform games that were released on both the Mega Drive and RISC OS. Like Flashback, Syndicate, Cannon Fodder and Gods, etc.

The old RISC OS ports aren't 32-bit (some don't even work on SA or RO4) and they can't be played in the desktop as well as full screen. So PicoDrive is better in some ways.

[Edited by tlsa at 14:36, 23/9/2006]
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Michael Drake Message #80479, posted by tlsa at 14:34, 23/9/2006, in reply to message #80316

Yeah, I guess I'll do some more work on those soon.
If you reply to a message with a long line of text, that causes a horizontal scrollbar and you delete the long bit of text, there is a wrapping bug. The text area continues to use the wide wrapping width, so there is an unnecessary horizontal scrollbar. I guess the text should be reflowed as the width of the long unbroken text is reduced.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Jeffrey Lee Message #80485, posted by Phlamethrower at 14:18, 24/9/2006, in reply to message #80475

I think it would be good if we could launch the site and first PicoDrive release this weekend.
Is there anything you need/want me to do for this release?
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Michael Drake Message #80486, posted by tlsa at 14:39, 24/9/2006, in reply to message #80485

Is there anything you need/want me to do for this release?
Not sure, best ask Adrian, but I guess anything on http://picodrive.acornarcade.com/picodrive/info.html#FuturePlans
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Jeffrey Lee Message #80487, posted by Phlamethrower at 16:09, 24/9/2006, in reply to message #80486

Hmm, probably won't have time to do anything on that list today :)
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Andrew Message #80490, posted by andrew at 20:03, 24/9/2006, in reply to message #80487
HandbagHandbag Boi
Hmm, probably won't have time to do anything on that list today :)
You do list now!! :frown:
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Michael Drake Message #80494, posted by tlsa at 13:45, 25/9/2006, in reply to message #80298

http://picodrive.atspace.com/ and
http://notaz.atspace.com/index.html
Adrian's pointed out that these sites don't have source.
Well, all we need to do is provide appropriate pokeage to the authors.
Have you e-mailed them?
Not yet, no :o
In the mean time, I think it would be worth using this cyclone:
http://uosis.mif.vu.lt/~grig2790/Cyclone/
It's supposed to have lots of bug fixes that make certain games work. Shining Force doesn't work atm with RISC OS PicoDrive, but the changelog says it is one of the games that is fixed with that Cyclone.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Adrian Lees Message #80497, posted by adrianl at 15:42, 25/9/2006, in reply to message #80494
Shining Force doesn't work atm with RISC OS PicoDrive, but the changelog says it is one of the games that is fixed with that Cyclone.
Great. Feel free to merge in my changes ;)
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Mag. Erhard F. Message #80529, posted by schwarzygesetzlos at 10:52, 26/9/2006, in reply to message #80497
The download-link on the !Picodrive homepage unfortunately isn't working.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Michael Drake Message #80531, posted by tlsa at 11:01, 26/9/2006, in reply to message #80529

The download-link on the !Picodrive homepage unfortunately isn't working.
I know, the PicoDrive site isn't meant to be public yet. It will be available when the full site appears here: http://picodrive.acornarcade.com/
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Michael Drake Message #80572, posted by tlsa at 14:29, 27/9/2006, in reply to message #79880

I've been reading the PicodriveN change log. It looks like it fixes all the known issues in our VDP emulation, which are mentioned below.

Are there any deficiencies in the VDP emulation, or elsewhere in PicoDrive that you know about and haven't mentioned? I'm only aware of the maximum number of sprites not being emulated and hence Sonic appearing in front of the title scroll; something that I'm sure could be easily fixed.
Yes I've seen a few things like baddies randomly appearing on the screen in Sonic and some strangeness with sprite plotting. Games are generally playable but aren't emulated 100 correctly.

Going though this list of screenshots:

http://www.squish.net/generator/shots.html

Sonic title screen wrong 'cos of max sprites limit not being emulated

Sonic 2 title screen wrong (characters on top of logo as they come in). Apparently because sprite priorities aren't correct.

Sonic 1 Marble Zone wrong (fireballs behind the grass so only the tops of them show). Another sprite priority thing where the foreground sprite should get cut out.

Travellers Tales logo is not right in PicoDrive (see Sonic 3D). Apparently it's highlight/shadow features.
It also mentions lots of other improvements that are on our TODO list, such as support for 6 button pad and various frameskip options. It has
"Auto"  option tries to run the game in it's original speed by skipping next
frame if the previous was rendered too slow.
"0" displays every frame, thus game runs very slow.
"1" skips every other frame. Use this for a game which is smoother, but a bit
too slow (actually depends on display mode you use).
"2" also makes the game smoother, but it will be too fast in most areas.
"4","8" is way too fast and is useful for skiping intros, etc.
I'm interested in the hardware emulation level. I've done some work to speed up the VDP and rendering, as you know, but I can optimise it further (something that would be especially useful on RiscPC-era machines, I expect).
PicodriveN says it has nearly all VDP code rewritten in ARM asm, which makes it 10-25 faster (depending on game) and lots of other VDP improvments to fix other games.

[Edited by tlsa at 14:30, 27/9/2006]
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Adrian Lees Message #80574, posted by adrianl at 15:20, 27/9/2006, in reply to message #80572
PicodriveN says it has nearly all VDP code rewritten in ARM asm, which makes it 10-25 faster (depending on game)
10-25 % faster, not times, just to clarify ;)

I had a look at the change list and it definitely looks to be worth using as a base. .... but.... there's no source on the site currently; "... to come later"

The current RISC OS PicoDrive build has the speed-critical parts of the VDP in assembler anyway (conjecture, not profiled), so I don't expect to gain a lot in that area. Of more interest was the possibility of not rendering the off-screen guff that messes up the display on RiscPC and A9home currently.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Michael Drake Message #80579, posted by tlsa at 16:14, 27/9/2006, in reply to message #80574

PicodriveN says it has nearly all VDP code rewritten in ARM asm, which makes it 10-25 faster (depending on game)
10-25 faster, not times, just to clarify ;)
I definatly typed it. I guess NS lost it when I edited the post. It also seems to have removed the % in your post in the quote. :sniff:
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Jeffrey Lee Message #80580, posted by Phlamethrower at 16:24, 27/9/2006, in reply to message #80579

10-25 faster, not times, just to clarify ;)
I definatly typed it. I guess NS lost it when I edited the post. It also seems to have removed the % in your post in the quote. :sniff:
Yay! More things for me to fix :P
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Michael Drake Message #80720, posted by tlsa at 20:07, 2/10/2006, in reply to message #80580

:flamethrower:: you have mail.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Jeffrey Lee Message #80722, posted by Phlamethrower at 20:10, 2/10/2006, in reply to message #80720

Yay! fanmail.

Erm, I'll do some work soon. Possibly tonight.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Michael Drake Message #80724, posted by tlsa at 20:15, 2/10/2006, in reply to message #80722

Yay! fanmail.

It's about how to set up the picodrive.acornarcade.com aliases so you, adrian and I all get e-mails sent from the contact form.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Jeffrey Lee Message #80725, posted by Phlamethrower at 20:19, 2/10/2006, in reply to message #80724

Yay! fanmail.

It's about how to set up the picodrive.acornarcade.com aliases so you, adrian and I all get e-mails sent from the contact form.
No - only mail I got was the test one from the contact form :o
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Pages (10): |< < 9 > >|

The Icon Bar: The Playpen: Over the summer V: Oh god not another Rocky movie