Register new account
Forgot password
Forum stats
List of members
Search the forums

Advanced search
Recent discussions
- R-Comp releases Genealogy v2 (News:)
- Will we see 5.30 released at Wakefield show? (News:1)
- Sine Nomine updates RiscOSM and Impact (News:)
- Netfetch version 5.55 released (News:)
- Prizes for Wakefield Show announced (News:)
- Heretic update from R-Comp (News:)
- Wakefield Show 2024 is next Saturday (News:)
- Git client updated to 0.07 (News:2)
- Archive Edition 27:1 reviewed (News:)
- Rougol April 2024 meeting on monday is Anniversary time (News:1)
Related articles
- Castle Up For Grabs
- Rounding Up February
- Wakefield 2001 show report
- R-Comp prepare for Wakefield [updated]
- eBay watch: Working A4s, VRAM, and cheap hardware
- eBay watch: Atoms to Risc PCs
- South East RISC OS Show 2004
- The Iyonix experience
- Wakefield 2003 - the preview
- Wireless Networking Comes To RISC OS
Latest postings RSS Feeds
RSS 2.0 | 1.0 | 0.9
Atom 0.3
Misc RDF | CDF

View on Mastodon
@www.iconbar.com@rss-parrot.net
Site Search

Article archives
The Icon Bar: News and features: RiscStation portable - details released

RiscStation portable - details released

Posted by Richard Goodwin on 12:49, 10/12/2001 | , , ,

RiscStation portableThe latest specs for the RiscStation Portable Computer System have been released, along with some rather snazzy pictures.

The machine will be roughly 242x190x30mm (~= 9.5 x 7.5 x 1.2"), 1.3Kg in weight, with a 8.4" TFT 800x600 touchscreen screen, 64MB memory, 10GB hard drive and a glidepoint touchpad. It also boasts PCMCIA, USB and 10bT Ethernet onboard. You can also buy a docking station to add floppy drive, serial, parallel, VGA and PS2 ports. Prices start from £999 ex VAT, and you can put down a £100 deposit to secure one of the first on the release date of late February 2002.

Although at first glance this may not look like a "proper" laptop - the small size and screen res being somewhat smaller than full-blown PC laptops - the cute sub-notebook look might fit nicely into education and other niche markets, with a price comparable to the NetBook when it first came out but with slightly better spec.

To save duplicting all the details, click here for the flyer and here for the order form.

RiscStation portable - details released
  This is a long thread. Click here to view the threaded list.

Guest Message #89588, posted at 00:53, 12/12/2001, in reply to message #89587
Unregistered user Well I do log in, but every time it still posts my comments as "guest". Happens every time with Oregano and IE.

Robert
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Guest Message #89589, posted at 02:10, 12/12/2001, in reply to message #89588
Unregistered user Wonder if it will play games well :)

Steev (who doesnt post much and cant be a**ed to log in)
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Guest Message #89590, posted at 09:35, 12/12/2001, in reply to message #89589
Unregistered user It seems a nice piece of kit, but when you can get an 800Mhz Celeron laptop in metallic blue, with 128MB RAM, 20Gb HD, 6xDVD, Floppy, On board Modem and LAN, 1 USB, 1 PCMCIA, PS2 port, serial port, SVHS port and parellel port, AND a 14.1 TFT screen all for just £899, the RS laptop seems very expensive.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Lee Johnston Message #89591, posted at 09:42, 12/12/2001, in reply to message #89590
Unregistered user Spin Doctors? *laughs* I hope that isn't referring to me - take a look at the comments in "one last update then no more" for where I stand in this market.

Well John I guess the serial number isn't indicative of anything then. Perhaps that's reassuring.

As for games it should play them as well as any RiscStation would with an 8.4inch TFT screen
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

mark quint Message #89592, posted at 09:55, 12/12/2001, in reply to message #89591
Unregistered user gotta remember that the Celeron Laptop will weigh rather a bit more than 1.3KG, and i'd think eat quite a bit more battery too
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Guest Message #89593, posted at 10:34, 12/12/2001, in reply to message #89592
Unregistered user Question: the mouse in the picture of the portable has only two buttons (if my eyes work properly) - what about the third one?
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Lee Johnston Message #89594, posted at 11:30, 12/12/2001, in reply to message #89593
Unregistered user The obvious solution is to configure the third mouse button as pressing the two buttons at the same time, and allowing the user to configure which button pressing both corresponds to.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

John Campbell Rees Message #89595, posted at 12:34, 12/12/2001, in reply to message #89594
Unregistered user Nice looking machine, but they have got to be joking about the price. I cannot imagine paying £999 for a machine that doesn't have a floppy disk drive, let alone one with no CD ROM drive.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

John Campbell Rees Message #89596, posted at 12:35, 12/12/2001, in reply to message #89595
Unregistered user Nice looking machine, but they have got to be joking about the price. I cannot imagine paying £999 for a machine that doesn't have a floppy disk drive, let alone one with no CD ROM drive.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Guest Message #89597, posted at 14:51, 12/12/2001, in reply to message #89596
Unregistered user Very nice, but:

Bah, I want to be able to browse on a train...

[mentat]
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

John Duffell Message #89598, posted at 14:57, 12/12/2001, in reply to message #89597
Unregistered user We it could be 99-12-20 as in the date, followed by 2977 of them produced. They may have started at 3000 or something so mine may have been the 23rd. OTOH, in batch 16 they'd have had to have batches of 2 for that, but who knows where anything started.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Richard Goodwin Message #89599, posted at 16:27, 12/12/2001, in reply to message #89598
Unregistered user Floppy discs? Who needs them? Most manufacturers are trying to phase them out, and I must say I haven't used on in ages. My spare RiscPC can't even handle floppy drives any more, and there's never been any point in getting it fixed.

Given that the portable will have a network port, USB and PCMCIA, there are more cost effective ways of transfering data between machines. To add a floppy drive to a sub-notebook, where space is at a premium, would be insane. But then again I would say that, I've been using the office and home networks to chuck data around for the past two or three years as all my machines have NICs in ;)
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Guest Message #89600, posted at 17:22, 12/12/2001, in reply to message #89599
Unregistered user My Celeron Toshiba Portege cost me 899uk, and it is smaller and lighter than this RiskStation, plus it has onboard networking, 128MB of RAM, modem, 1024x768 etc, etc, etc...

The time where you can buy a sexier x86 laptop for less than this RiskStation and have it outperform it at running RISC OS is edging nearer and nearer...
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Guest Message #89601, posted at 19:16, 12/12/2001, in reply to message #89600
Unregistered user I wonder if they are going to update their website...
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Guest Message #89602, posted at 23:53, 12/12/2001, in reply to message #89601
Unregistered user There _is_ a StrongARM version with all the lcd, serial, memory controller, blah blah, built in. It's called the SA1110 and goes with it's companion chip the SA1111. They are what all the handheld PocketPC2002 machines (like the iPaq) and the Sharp Zaurus 5000 are built on. Probably 3-4 times the performance of a 7500FE except for floating point work.

But really, isn't it time for a XScale800 machine by now? I know the hardware is available; some friends of mine have just built a batch of 3"x4" boards with them. Imagine a pack-of-cards sized machine with 8-900mips....
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Guest Message #89603, posted at 02:28, 13/12/2001, in reply to message #89602
Unregistered user Well, 800 x 600 seems perfectly acceptable where our clients are based - Petronas Twin Towers. There, the IT dept have forced everyone to conform to this display. Not an ideal size for designing with though!

Steve S. KL
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Lee Johnston Message #89604, posted at 10:31, 13/12/2001, in reply to message #89603
Unregistered user No one said that the SA1110 didn't exist. The only comment made so far says there isn't a SA with integrated VIDC20 and IOMD which is true, and a major stumbling block given that RISC OS can't run without then.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Richard Goodwin Message #89605, posted at 11:29, 13/12/2001, in reply to message #89604
Unregistered user It's been pointed out elsewhere (the Archive mailling list to be precise) that the RS portable is actually /better/ than the major competing sub-notebook - the NetBook, which is only 640x480, came out at roughly the same price, doesn't have built in networking etc. etc. (Wonder what this does for the RoN project? :)

I don't think there's any point harping on about how you can get cheaper Celeron laptops - you can get cheaper Celeron desktop machines than an Omega (hell, you can get cheaper full-spec machines with decent AMD processors, let alone that crippled Intel stuff), but taking the RS machine for what it is - a sub-notebook, not a laptop - it's fairly competative and well spec'ed.

It may not be what people were expecting - and I for one would have liked a proper RISC OS laptop - but RS have produced something with decent functionality for a decent price. I may well buy one. Others may not feel the same, that's fair enough. But please, there has never been a time when you could compare PC and Acorn/RISC OS prices!
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

[mentat] Message #89606, posted at 12:41, 13/12/2001, in reply to message #89605
Unregistered user IIRC Ron has a new financial backer, so it SHOULD happen regardless.

Doesn't RON have an IR port though? I forget, but if it did, and someone stumped up an appropriate driver (ROL!) that would make RON a MUCH more attractive alternative (since one of the main advantages of a sub notebook would be [for me] the ability to browse and email on the move).

Whichever appears first will regardless be the first portable RISC OS computer for years, and that'll be enought to tempt me :)
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Guest Message #89607, posted at 13:14, 13/12/2001, in reply to message #89606
Unregistered user I've not seen a mention so far in these comments of the docking station which apparently contains the floppy and CD drives and a larger battery. Does anyone know how large, heavy and portable the machine is with the docking station attached?

I decided that I would purchase either the RS portable or Ron/Netbook, whichever appeared first in case the other one turned out to be vapourware (I'm referring to Ron, of course, not the Netbook). As a result, I've already placed my order for the RS portable, together with the docking station. The total price, incidentally, is a little under 1,500 pounds, inc. VAT.

The flyer, incidentally, is a little strange as it features pictures of the portable from every angle, then says that they do not show its new case!

Martyn Fox
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Guest Message #89608, posted at 15:15, 13/12/2001, in reply to message #89607
Unregistered user The Toshiba Portege is a subnotebook.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Guest Message #89609, posted at 16:03, 13/12/2001, in reply to message #89608
Unregistered user Hmm, yeah i have a Celeron notebook too - and guess what? Windows ME crashes on it regularly. The RS sub-notebook won't. So there's no point in trying to compare the two. If any RISC OS portable was out for sale when i needed a computer for college, in would have gone for the RISC OS option. As it was, there wasn't one available so i've had to put up with this, which i regret.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Guest Message #89610, posted at 16:19, 13/12/2001, in reply to message #89609
Unregistered user Windows 2000 has *NEVER* crashed on my Portege. Not once. And I've only rebooted when I needed to swap to a different OS, or when I installed a new hard drive and some more memory.

You seem to be saying that it's the laptop's fault that Windows ME is crashing. If this is so, I'd take your laptop back to where you bought it and demand a refund.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

John Campbell Rees Message #89611, posted at 17:33, 13/12/2001, in reply to message #89610
Unregistered user Phasing out floppy disks is stupid. I still use them regularly for moving information from machines that are not on the Internet. Relying solely on networking and the internet to transfer information to and from a portable to other machines is very narrow minded. It is always useful to have a back-up system, such as floppy disks.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Guest Message #89612, posted at 17:35, 13/12/2001, in reply to message #89611
Unregistered user My Portege doesn't have an internal floppy drive, but it does come with a *tiny* USB floppy drive, of which the BIOS can do legacy emulation for, so it looks just like a normal one.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Guest Message #89613, posted at 17:46, 13/12/2001, in reply to message #89612
Unregistered user oh come on please !! just because it's running RISC-OS you don't have to say it's beautiful and cheap !!
I mean £999 (starting price !!!!) for a joke of a laptop (ok, ok subnotebook but who cares ?) with a 8.4' screen where every cheap laptop has a 14' display, no strongarm and ......
I was really considering bying a RISC-OS laptop but this is a joke, sorry :-(
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Mr Jake Monkeyson Message #89614, posted at 18:16, 13/12/2001, in reply to message #89613
Unregistered user But it is a touchscreen which is nice. Imagine some nice drag and drop saving using that!
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

mark quint Message #89615, posted at 18:52, 13/12/2001, in reply to message #89614
Unregistered user i'd say quite a few people care whether its a notebook or sub-notebook.
The point being with a sub-notebook is that you leave behind all the non-essential things, so that you get a lower size and weight, and so that you can easily use it anywhere (the built-in NC should be v. useful)
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Kevin Wells Message #89616, posted at 22:38, 14/12/2001, in reply to message #89615
Unregistered user Hey itt can fit in my top box all it needs is a decent route finder and maps and I can get rid of about 6 map books. Is it waterproof?
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

keith dunlop Message #89617, posted at 23:51, 14/12/2001, in reply to message #89616
Unregistered user at last!

Interesting machine. Lets hope it comes with the necessary drivers...

DHCP exists - but not yet with select :( - when mr. middleton...?

Yup the display is a bit pants (800 x 600 eww) but remeber folks where the vid stuff is in a ARM7500 machine - in the CPU. 800 x 600 will let it run at a reasonable colour depth (32K maybe?) without crippling the machine.

All comments about price / performance are missing the point. A RISC OS machine is not cheap - the price you pay for being different!

Nice one Roy! (now when *are * we going to get a new machine that doesn't have the dreaded "branded" keys by the space bar & if having a built in mouse 3 buttons? - never! i know :( )

Lets hope this one makes its delivery date...

For the future RON is far more important as it is the development of StrongARM machines without IOMD & VIDC - which is crucial...
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Pages (4): |< < 2 > >|

The Icon Bar: News and features: RiscStation portable - details released