User accounts
Register new account
Forgot password
Forum stats
List of members
Search the forums

Advanced search
Recent discussions
- Upgrading your RISC OS system to 5.30 (News:2)
- WROCC May 2024 meeting on wednesday - Gerph talks games (News:)
- Wakefield Show 2024 in Pictures (News:4)
- RISC OS 5.30 arrives (News:1)
- April 2024 News Summary (News:1)
- uniprint upgraded to 4.50 (News:)
- PhotoDesk 3.23 released (News:)
- R-Comp reveals N.Ex.T Boxes - the successor to the i.MX6 (News:)
- RISCOSbits at Wakefield Show 2024 (News:)
- R-Comp releases Genealogy v2 (News:)
Related articles
- Castle Up For Grabs
- Rounding Up February
- Wakefield 2001 show report
- R-Comp prepare for Wakefield [updated]
- eBay watch: Working A4s, VRAM, and cheap hardware
- eBay watch: Atoms to Risc PCs
- South East RISC OS Show 2004
- The Iyonix experience
- Wakefield 2003 - the preview
- Wireless Networking Comes To RISC OS
Latest postings RSS Feeds
RSS 2.0 | 1.0 | 0.9
Atom 0.3
Misc RDF | CDF

View on Mastodon
@www.iconbar.com@rss-parrot.net
Site Search

Article archives
The Icon Bar: News and features: RiscStation portable - details released

RiscStation portable - details released

Posted by Richard Goodwin on 12:49, 10/12/2001 | , , ,

RiscStation portableThe latest specs for the RiscStation Portable Computer System have been released, along with some rather snazzy pictures.

The machine will be roughly 242x190x30mm (~= 9.5 x 7.5 x 1.2"), 1.3Kg in weight, with a 8.4" TFT 800x600 touchscreen screen, 64MB memory, 10GB hard drive and a glidepoint touchpad. It also boasts PCMCIA, USB and 10bT Ethernet onboard. You can also buy a docking station to add floppy drive, serial, parallel, VGA and PS2 ports. Prices start from £999 ex VAT, and you can put down a £100 deposit to secure one of the first on the release date of late February 2002.

Although at first glance this may not look like a "proper" laptop - the small size and screen res being somewhat smaller than full-blown PC laptops - the cute sub-notebook look might fit nicely into education and other niche markets, with a price comparable to the NetBook when it first came out but with slightly better spec.

To save duplicting all the details, click here for the flyer and here for the order form.

RiscStation portable - details released
  This is a long thread. Click here to view the threaded list.

Guest Message #89618, posted at 00:23, 15/12/2001, in reply to message #89617
Unregistered user what a bloody ignorance!!! price/performance not an issue???? typical British reaction. Come of your island and join the real world. If you want to sell and stay in business, you should adept to what the market requires and not let the market adept to what you have to offer.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

John Hoare Message #89619, posted at 01:49, 15/12/2001, in reply to message #89618
Unregistered user I *really* wish people would put a name to their comments, even if it's an alias. Otherwise people come across as cowardly/stupid/incompetent if they write negative comments.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Graham Message #89620, posted at 10:11, 15/12/2001, in reply to message #89619
Unregistered user Absolutely!
Perhaps those who don't show a name should be automatically given an alias, such as Chicken, Coward, Lazy sod, etc...
It's not hard to log in is it?
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

John Duffell Message #89621, posted at 11:30, 15/12/2001, in reply to message #89620
Unregistered user Well this seems to be one of the (few) sites that oregano stays logged into for more than one millisecond, so there's only an excuse on drobe, not here.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Matthew Somerville Message #89622, posted at 12:36, 15/12/2001, in reply to message #89621
Unregistered user I've never had a problem [1] with Oregano's cookie handling on any of my sites that use cookies, or any of the sites I regularly access. I think those sites which blame Oregano's cookie handling should check they're doing everything right first...

[1] Apart from the problem with cookies set when your computer is set to other than GMT - for example, they'll expire an hour earlier than they should if it's set to BST (which is annoying for cookies of less than an hour in duration), but at this time, it should be fine for GMT people.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Guest Message #89623, posted at 14:40, 15/12/2001, in reply to message #89622
Unregistered user It's a RISC OS laptop. Great. It's what we've been waiting for for... well... many years. It's a pity that it's a 7500FE. And it's a pity that it's so expensive. I realise that RISC OS machines are always going to be expensive, but I look at simply and see that the bottom of the range Sony Viao can be bought for 799+VAT, comes with twice the memory, far outstrips the performance, has a 13.3" screen,
has modem built in and can actually play DVDs on its DVD player.

How desperately do I want a RISC OS machine to carry around with me ? I think I'll stick with my Psion for a little while longer.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Guest Message #89624, posted at 14:41, 15/12/2001, in reply to message #89623
Unregistered user oh, but it's nice that it's got a touchscreen.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Lee Johnston Message #89625, posted at 17:11, 16/12/2001, in reply to message #89624
Unregistered user Out of interest have any of the people complaining about the ARM7500FE actually used a ARM7500FE based machine with an LCD monitor and with RAM faster than the RISC PCs standard RAM?

I think people would be surprised how much difference simply clocking the refresh down to 65hz in 1024*768 with 256 colours makes. IIRC at one stage Roy was talking about refreshing at only 25hz on the laptop. In addition I was under the impression that the "portable" was going to use faster memory than even the scorcher.

Whether any of this is still the case, and whether having a smaller screen, refreshed less often and faster memory would make much difference over a standard Scorcher refreshing at 65hz remains to be seen.

I realise there is a limit to what can be done (and arguably these tricks could be played with a SA laptop too) but it might perform better than people think. Remember this isn't designed to play state of the art FPS (then again neither is any currently available RISC OS platform).
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Guest Message #89626, posted at 19:53, 16/12/2001, in reply to message #89625
Unregistered user This is comment 69. Let's see if we can make it to 100!

Mike
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Guest Message #89627, posted at 22:06, 16/12/2001, in reply to message #89626
Unregistered user I talked to Roy H at the Birmingham show. Here're some snippets that answer points raised above:

IR - the hardware is there but they will not advertise that unless and until drivers are available.

Docking station - about the same size again as the computer.

Modem - First priority for drivers is a PCMCIA modem.

IMHO, the docking station is a must. That way you get a full computer (you have no removable media otherwise) with the only everyday compromise being the display size. That said, the basic computer just having a HD means it is significantly smaller and lighter once you pick it up and go (speaking as someone who lugs around an IBM Thinkpad - lovely HW but it soon gets heavy).

Tony Still (who can't seem to log-in).
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

[mentat] Message #89628, posted at 09:22, 17/12/2001, in reply to message #89627
Unregistered user (I'm only posting this to further Mike's goal of reaching 100 comments, honest!) :-)

Dear Guest above: you mention IR hardware being in place - does that mean there is actually an IR port in the machine?

At the end of the day, though, once this thing is actually shipping, it will allow many more people to be exposed to RISC OS, which is very important. Even if it's not perfect or to everyone's tastes, if it succeeds in increasing the number of people who see RISC OS, a faster laptop may well soon follow.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Guest Message #89629, posted at 09:47, 17/12/2001, in reply to message #89628
Unregistered user As someone who just bought a laptop for Linux use, I'm a bit annoyed I heard about the RS laptop about a week afterwards. I hav'nt had a RISC OS box for a little while but if anything could bring me back it's RON or this. We all knew it would be underpowered and overpriced when it was first mentioned over a year ago, but such is the price we pay for being in a minority. Franklly, I thought RS were all talk about their laptop, but I'm happy to be proved wrong.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Guest Message #89630, posted at 11:33, 17/12/2001, in reply to message #89629
Unregistered user I'm wondering how much they save while they using a 7500 and not a StrongArm ?

Thoems

P.S. even for a resolution of 800x600 a 8' display is very small ;-)
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Lee Johnston Message #89631, posted at 13:08, 17/12/2001, in reply to message #89630
Unregistered user It's not just a question of price when choosing a 7500 or SA - if you don't have a supply of VIDC20 and IOMD chips then the SA is useless as far as RISC OS is concerned.

Only Castle appear to have a reliable supply of these chips which is why Millipede, MD and RiscStation were all looking at alternative solutions.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Guest Message #89632, posted at 10:47, 18/12/2001, in reply to message #89631
Unregistered user We need another 25 comments people! Come on...

:)

Anyone got any thoughts about the possibility of Castle's Neuron200 leading to a competing StrongARM laptop?

Or any thoughts about the new release date for this subnotebook... will it appear on time (again!)?
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Guest Message #89633, posted at 12:26, 18/12/2001, in reply to message #89632
Unregistered user <blockquote>
Or any thoughts about the new release date for this subnotebook... will it appear on time (again!)?
</blockquote>
14th February Seems a very convenient date to me. three months (approx) from nothing to a finished machine?

If they had a prototype in the same size case I might believe it more. They'd also already have my money.

pjwerdna
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Guest Message #89634, posted at 15:16, 18/12/2001, in reply to message #89633
Unregistered user I think it's possible(they have been working on the general principle for ages now), but with all the failed release dates of the last couple of years with RO related products, I remain sceptical.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Jason Tribbeck Message #89635, posted at 16:23, 18/12/2001, in reply to message #89634
Unregistered user I'd be very tempted to buy one if I hadn't just bought myself some new sofas. Also, it'd be much better if the screen was larger (pixels; not worried about physical size).
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Graham Message #89636, posted at 16:32, 18/12/2001, in reply to message #89635
Unregistered user At 1024x768 on such a small screen, you might find it a bit of a strain on the eyes.

I suspect many people will buy it because of it's size rather than in spite of.

People I've shown it to so far (not many it's true), seem to like the smaller than average size of it.

It just needs to be available on time if not before!
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Guest Message #89637, posted at 22:44, 18/12/2001, in reply to message #89636
Unregistered user My wife has just bought the new Panasonic LCD TV.
(it should be delivered this week).
Will the Lap Top be able to make use of it for
display purposes?
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Guest Message #89638, posted at 23:27, 18/12/2001, in reply to message #89637
Unregistered user Tony again, not logged-in again, with more memories from Birmingham:

As regards the IR, I understood Roy H to mean that all the hardware (that is, the port, is present but they currently have no software behind it. Also, I guess it's not a priority, hence they're not advertising its prescence (I hope I'm not breaking any confidences here but it was a public discussion).

In terms of not having any hardware ready, the motherboard is essentially the same as in the 7500 desktop machine and all the peripherals are in the donor PC (that Roy H refers to as 'the case'). In fact, the faster RAM changes (still in News on their web site) were apparently a spin-off from Portable work. I think this is very promising - it means that most major elements of the machine are mature and proven. It's quite reminiscent of the A5000/A4 relationship - they shared a PCB design too.

WRT the ARM 7500, it's simply a question of the VIDC etc; they're all on the 7500 and none of them (just a CPU) on the StrongARM (I oversimplify but that's essentially correct). Shame about the performance but Roy H has said several times that the LCD screen means that the refresh rate can be much less than one would expect (say 20Hz) 'cos they don't flicker. That will be a big performance boost to a machine without VRAM. I would reserve judgement on performance - it may be rather better than any of us expect (though it's never going to be in SA territory).

Just my opinion...
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Guest Message #89639, posted at 01:34, 19/12/2001, in reply to message #89638
Unregistered user OK. This is comment 82. Only 18 more and we hit the magic 100!

I see some people have got into the spirit of this - nice one.

Mike
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Jason Tribbeck Message #89640, posted at 07:59, 19/12/2001, in reply to message #89639
Unregistered user You mean apart from "Well, this is comment 83", "This is comment 84", "This is comment 85".. You get the idea ;-)
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Andrew P Harmsworth Message #89641, posted at 10:42, 19/12/2001, in reply to message #89640
Unregistered user I just phoned RiscStation to ask what speed the processor was going to tick at. They indicated 56 MHz, and didn't understand why Cumana's Slym is supposed to cruise at 64 MHz. That's 15% faster, which must be worthwhile. So, RiscStation, why can't it be 64 MHz as well?
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Guest Message #89642, posted at 09:46, 20/12/2001, in reply to message #89641
Unregistered user This is comment 85...

(WHAT? I'm bored!)

:-)
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Guest Message #89643, posted at 10:50, 20/12/2001, in reply to message #89642
Unregistered user I'm bored of waiting for a new machine. Any new machine. Please!??? Anybody?!

I'll be impressed if anything materialises, ever.

We had announcements of laptops and Omegas etc in 2000, and the entirety of 2001 has been a big hardware drought. Very depressing.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

John Hoare Message #89644, posted at 11:12, 20/12/2001, in reply to message #89643
Unregistered user Well, there's no doubt at all that the Omega is coming. It's just bloody late. And this seems good news from Riscstation, so I guess the laptop will materialise as well.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Guest Message #89645, posted at 12:51, 20/12/2001, in reply to message #89644
Unregistered user No doubt?!? There is considerable doubt - for heaven's sake, nobody's seen a working prototype, and the machine was originally supposed to be shipping a year ago! That alone is reason enough for doubt (though not ruling out hope). Similar goes for the 'laptop', which has been even more delayed.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Guest Message #89646, posted at 12:52, 20/12/2001, in reply to message #89645
Unregistered user I phoned CTA/RiscStation a couple of days ago. They confirmed that they have my order for a portable (with docking station), but said that the expected delivery date has now been put back to the end of February.

Martyn Fox
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Guest Message #89647, posted at 13:09, 20/12/2001, in reply to message #89646
Unregistered user Have you actually READ this news article? See the top of this page...

"...and you can put down a £100 deposit to secure one of the first on the release date of late February 2002."
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Pages (4): |< < 3 > >|

The Icon Bar: News and features: RiscStation portable - details released